4-3 Cup Defeat for Brocton

Midland Football League Cup

Last Updated: Feb 21, 2017 08:17pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Rocester 4 - 3 Brocton 


Due to recent weather problems this cup tie  had been cancelled several times however this re arranged mid- week fixture lived up to expectations for the two local rivals with an exciting finale’ for the home side.

The game started at a brisk pace with both sides playing open football and getting the ball forward at every opportunity. Brocton had a few scares with the ball whizzing across the goal mouth in the early few minutes, and Rocester looked nervous as Brocton forwards were prepared to run at the defence and a run by Dan Lomas on the left gave him a chance to float a ball over the keeper and into the net on 6 minutes.

Brocton continued to attack and Dave Ablewhite and Josh Sedgley were busy in mid field, with Jack Edwards and Nick Wellecomme looking sharp upfront. Oliver Froome for the Home side looked the most likely to score but was closed down quickly by Kenny Devoir. Matt Dockerty hit a pin point cross field shot to Ablewhite who progressed with the ball, passing to Sedgely who’s powerful shot went in off the post for Brocton’s second goal on 35 minutes.

Rocester had an opportunity on 38 minutes which was saved by Aiden Stone and the resultant clearance went straight to Jack Edwards on the left wing and as James Frost the Rocester defender moved across, Edwards slipped in side to find the keeper advancing out of his goal but Edwards shot was out of reach giving Brocton a three goal lead on 40 minutes.

Rocester began to show real urgency and from a 20 yard free kick Joe Brockley placed a ball inside Stones right hand post to reduce the arrears just before half time. Brocton continued to set the pace in the second period although Rocester were prepared to put more men into their attacks. Brocton suffered their second injury set back having lost Matt Holland in the first half; a further injury to Ablewhite meant that the fluent midfield flow was interrupted. Charlie Marshall who had replaced Ablewhite received a ball from Wellecomme and forced a corner on 70 minutes.

Stone was bought into action with a well- timed save from Callum Riddell on 75 minutes. Brocton were defending well at this stage but Rocester were coming into the match with their short passing game. Good work on the left by the home side gave them an opportunity through Sam Bates who slotted a ball past Stone on 85 minutes.

This gave Rocester real heart and they piled men forward in an endeavour to get the equaliser which came from Oliver Froome with a similar move to their second goal on 87 minutes. Now the game was really on to finish the job for either side before extra time and as Brocton were preparing to replace the injured Edwards, C

allum Riddell scored in the 92 minute giving the home side the win which looked unlikely 10 minutes earlier. Clearly a game of two halves but the home side had the break through which gave them momentum in the closing stages. 



blog comments powered by Disqus