7-40 win sees Colts through to 2nd round

U18 National Colts Cup

Last Updated: Sep 30, 2013 05:31pm
Evesham, Wychavon
By Ben Salcedo
Share |

A really good all round team performance saw Evesham Colts progress to the second round of the U18 National Colts Cup with ease, following a 7-40 victory away to Kidderminster Carolians.

Evesham started confidently and soon had control of the game. They dominated the first half scoring four unanswered tries, largely thanks to good support play. There was a keenness to support the ball carrier which has been missing in previous weeks. Man-of-the-Match Josh Perry typified this scoring the first two tries on the right wing. The first came following a driving run from Mike Harris who presented the ball well for Ash Charlton to find Alex Stoddart at first receiver. He drew in the defence well giving Perry a clear run to the corner. The second try came from turnover ball won by Alex Stoddart and taken on by Charlton who sniped well from scrum-half. Quick recycling and good passing saw Dom Berry in space, his selfless pass allowed Perry to round the defence and score under the posts. Harris converted one of the tries before converting his own try, Evesham’s third, courtesy of a well taken interception. Kidderminster rarely threatened Evesham’s line all half, thanks to more impressive tackling. The back-row led the way but were supported well by Fred Hopper and Oli Salcedo in the second row. The later combined with Connor Greatrix to hold-up Kidderminster on the line and prevent their only real scoring chance. However Evesham’s fourth try was perhaps their best moment of the game, a planned backs move from a lineout saw Wilf Watson slice through the line, the Kidderminster full-back made a good tackle but support was on hand to win the ball. With the backs committed to the breakdown, several forwards formed the back line but only two were needed as Iain and Alex Stoddart combined to put the later over the line. Harris made the conversion for a 0-26 lead at the break.

Evesham made some changes at the break, Jack Witts came on at scrum-half and was as industrious as ever, upping the tempo and looking to use the ball quickly. Ash Charlton moved to outside-half, he played well and called the right move to see Ash Icke crash over the line when Evesham won clean lineout ball 10 metres out. Kidderminster did see more possession after the break but Evesham’s forwards continued to enjoy themselves in defence, winning several turnovers. Nat Bailey made an impressive debut at loose-head prop, twice stealing the ball at the breakdown. Adam Johnson was rock solid, a huge choke tackle being the highlight of his game, and Alex Tarplee tackled well in his first game back after dislocating his knee last season. The forwards were matched in the backline with Henry Hopper, Scott Fairfax, Ben Middlicott and particularly Perry doing good work to contain the home team. The set-pieces worked well all game, both lineout and scrum were solid. In fact a scrum won against-the-head, by the front row of Bailey, Greatrix and Martin Di Franco, led to the visitor’s final try. Berry picked up from No.8 and passed quickly to Charlton, his miss-pass to Watson was well timed for the outside centre to run on to and score. Charlton made both the second-half conversions. Kidderminster battled hard all game and were rewarded for their efforts with a try just before the end as their No.8 drove over the line from a 5m scrum.

Evesham look forward to a second-round tie away to Wilenhall on 20th October, but they have a lot to thank Kidderminster for. Following an administrative error by the tournament organisers, Evesham were originally missed out of the draw, but Kidderminster sportingly gave up their bye to allow Evesham entry into the National Competition.



blog comments powered by Disqus