Ambassador Evesham Football League

Round-up 14/02/15

Last Updated: Feb 26, 2015 06:01pm
Crowle, Wychavon
By Colin Mortiboys
Share |

Our round-up of 14th February saw a few shock results:

Under 18's Division

There was a major shock as in-form Wychbold Juniors hosted Welford Juniors.  With both sides struggling for availability in this rescheduled match, neither team had any subs to call on if required, so any player suffering an injury was likely to impact either of the sides. The early exchanges were fairly even, but relatively quickly, Wychbold became more dominant, with the larger share of possession. There were few clear chances however, with Welford keeper Lawrence Barber looking assured in his penalty area. The visitors were restricted to counter-attacking; the best opportunity falling to Rob Fawcett, whose shot was smartly saved by the Wychbold stopper. The home side looked an ever-increasing threat, particularly from set-pieces, but Welford were resolute and made it to the break all sqaure in a goal-less half. The second half saw a change in momentum - the away team came out on the front foot, and were soon rewarded after an impressive Fawcett run and shot was well saved, but fell to Elliot Whittle to tap into an empty net. The home team almost found an immediate response, but a scramble from a corner was eventually cleared off the line. Not long after, the visitors were handed another boost - Fawcett intercepted a loose pass and was brought down by the last man, leaving the referee little choice but to produce a red card to the Wychbold player. While Wychbold continued to have more of the ball, the deficit in defence provided more opportunities for Welford. Fawcett got his goal on the hour, finding the bottom corner, and while it was initially ruled out for offside, the referee decided it had not been touched by any other Welford player, so the goal stood. An ankle injury had led to Wychbold having just nine players on the field, and Welford took advantage of the additional space further up the pitch to score a third - Fawcett and Whittle combined again, as the latter picked up his second goal of the match with a composed finished.  Both teams lost a further player as the clock ticked down - Welford to injury, Wychbold to a further sending off due to two yellow cards - giving the match a lopsided feel as the tempo fell inside the final ten minutes. There was still time for Welford to grab a fourth, with Sean Connor capping an impressive performance by standing a cross up for Fawcett to nod into the corner. Welford moved into the top half with this victory, while Wychbold still have games in hand as they look to take top spot.

Under 15's Division

Inkberrow Eagles stay 2nd in the table with a convincing away win at Littleton Juniors.  The Eagles had five different players on the scoresheet, with Jack Cole putting away a hat-trick.

Under 14's Pool A

Droitwich Spa Tigers produced their second successive win, but their latest victory was a narrow 1-0 home win over high flying Alcester Town. In the recent cup encounter between the teams, Alcester had won 6-1 so the Tigers win was even more impressive. Tigers played some good passing football in the first half and held a great back line. Will Leach hit an unstoppable free kick to the keepers top left to seal the match, after Ben Mason was fouled on the edge of the box.

Under 14's Pool B

Droitwich Spa Pumas climbed to joint top with a 7-0 home win, but with two games in hand over  Shipston Excelsior, the Pumas need to continue their form in the weeks ahead.  Their latest win saw a well taken hat-trick from Elliott Frapwell.

Under 12's Pool B

Moreton Rangers  kept a 3-point gap at the top of the table with a 6-0 home win, as Harley Miller hit the net twice.


if your match is postponed, please remember that you MUST complete the appropriate paperwork and advise the League on the day of the scheduled match.


blog comments powered by Disqus