A Ten Goal Thriller

Brocton 5 - 5 Heanor Town

Last Updated: Nov 30, 2015 01:12pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

The 61 fans who braved a horrible afternoon of weather at Silkmore Lane with strong winds and persistent rain were rewarded with a tremendous game of football that saw the battling Badgers show fantastic spirit to come back and snatch a point in a 5-5 thriller after trailing 0-3, 1-4 & 2-5 at various stages of the match.

At 0-0 neither team could have been accused of playing defensively or of even being cagey. This was full throttle by both sides from the outset.

It was a free kick which opened the flood gates as Brocton could only get a weak header to clear with strong bodies fighting for the ball in the area. Kieran  DeBrouwer pounced on the attempted clearance and volleyed it home.

At that time it seemed rough justice on the home side as they had taken the game to their opponents and had the better goal mouth pressure, albeit without success. A Dave Berks finish spun out from the inside of a post after Callum Barrett had set Sam Bell going on the right and he had found Berks. Then Bell was in good position himself only to slip as he shot sending the effort high and wide. Visiting keeper Ben Townsend then pulled off two excellent saves as Brocton searched for an equaliser.

Then a Gary Fife cross field pass was intercepted and a swift pass up field saw Jay Cooper take it in his stride, hold off the close attentions of Kenny Devoir and still find the power and accuracy to beat Barrett for Heanor’s second.

Still Brocton did not ease off and hit the post twice as they pressed forward, only for yet another swift counter attack to undo all their good work again. This time it was DeBrouwer who ran through and gave surely what seemed an unassailable 3-0 half time lead to 2nd in the table Heanor.

Immediately after the restart Gary Fife nipped in to convert a typically sharp chance in the 46th minute.  However before Brocton had time to think they may be back in the match Heanor’s three goal cushion was restored by Nathan Kelly on 48 minutes. Then a fine measured pass into the feet of Sam Bell from Berks sent Bell free and he pegged it back to 2-4 on 51 minutes.

Heanor always looked dangerous from corners and Kelly once more restored the three goal cushion as he muscled his way to the ball and powered home as the game approached the hour mark.

At this point it was clear that neither of the sides were able to prevent attacks and were relying on keeping up the scoring. A Bell run to the bye line looked to be chasing a hopeless cause, but he got in a great cross and when the ball went behind Dave Ablewhite, but he swivelled and struck home to cut the deficit to 3-5 on 65 minutes..

Fife was twice involved as he cut out a cross field pass and then latched on to a return pass from Berks, but his shot went wide. But then Bell got to a free kick floated into the area, heading Brocton back to within touching distance of their visitors at 4-5 on 72 minutes

Then Silkmore Lane went wild on 80 minutes as Paul McMahon popped up to bring the Badgers level.

To their credit both teams pushed to the last second in the hunt for a winner but 5-5 remained as the final score.

This Saturday Brocton travel to bottom of the table Continental Star whilst the Reserves entertain Gresley Reserves – both games kick off at 3pm


blog comments powered by Disqus