A Week of Mixed Results for Brocton

Last Updated: Feb 22, 2016 09:17pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Brocton  3  Highgate United 1


When Highgate scored through Curvin Lewis just after the quarter hour it was no surprise despite some good attacking moves by the home side. A sweeping move had Charlie Jones passing wide right for Dave Ablewhite. He passed to Dan Lomas, who cushioned the ball for Dave Berks to shoot wide of the post. There were two more chances for Brocton as first Berks’ cross was bundled out for a corner and then Bradley Catlow, the visiting keeper, punched clear only for Jones to strike a low half volley wide.

Highgate’s approaches came on the break, but they looked threatening on each occasion with the big centre forward Curvin out muscling Brocton’s defence and looking to make the most of his ample height advantage. The goal came as Matt Dockerty and Ed Booth got in each other’s way and Dan McLeod slipped. That left Curvin with time for a clear run at goal and he made no mistake.

The home side continued as they had started though and it was Paul McMahon striking across the keeper and wide moments later after a Lomas break and Berks cross. McMahon combined next with Josh Wilson and Wilson got in a telling cross to find Ablewhite on the edge of the box. His shot was deflected over and the resulting corner fell eventually to Lomas to also strike wide.

Brocton were getting on top, but the goal wouldn’t come. A Berks free kick headed on by McMahon brought a good save from Catlow and a shot from Sean Kinsella saw him drop gratefully on to the ball as it fizzed towards goal.

A Jones deep cross was then met on the volley by Wilson as he drifted round to the back post, but he could only find the side netting. Not the Badgers’ day or just a matter of time? Brocton finished the half strongly as Wilson in particular began to reap the rewards of positive play down the left flank. Highgate were hanging on and would be pleased to reach the break still ahead. Indeed, Wilson was pulled down as he reached the bye line, nothing coming from the free kick and then another free kick from Berks on the other side saw a ‘worldy’ of a save by Catlow.

The second half could have seen Brocton have trouble in keeping up their efforts, but Nathan Edgington did himself and his Highgate team mates no favours by getting himself sent off for an off the ball incident. Brocton took full advantage within minutes when a Berks free kick took the faintest of touches from Booth’s head, deceiving Catlow and drawing the home side level. 

Danny Mcleod looked to have suffered a pull and had to be replaced by Matt Dean as both Brocton and their visitors shuffled their sides. But Booth put the Badgers into the lead as he powered a downward header from Berks well placed cross.

It was good to see Gary Fife then back for a cameo after injury and a little later also the return of Matt Hardiman. Fife was soon involved as he tried to lay on the ball for McMahon, but just over cooked the pass and then became the focus after a seven man passing move worked the ball into his normally lethal feet inside the box. He shot just wide.

Highgate worked to a man to try to get an equaliser as time slipped away and a great strike from distance by substitute Tom Lacey struck the top edge of Brocton’s bar before a last break by the home side put Fife into the box once again. This time he was tripped and a penalty awarded, with which Kinsella wrapped up a well earned victory. 


Quorn 5  Brocton 2 

Brocton were forced to make changes to their defence from the team that won 3-1 at Bardon Hill and ended up shipping 5 goals.

On a surprisingly level and green pitch for the time of year Brocton started lively and appeared to have settled well although many of their efforts came to nothing or were over hit. Levi Oshungbure had a shot for the home side and David Berks had an effort at the opposite end but it was wide of the target. Neither side appeared capable of  keeping  the ball for long, and there was very little constructive play at this stage of the game. Jack Edwards needed more traction when a ball was centred for him to run onto and the ball eventually went through to keeper Ryan Thacker. Courtney Meade had a shot across the penalty area but Callum Barratt in the Brocton goal was not troubled. Brocton were having more of the play but on 28 minutes Quorn launched an attack on their left flank and as Brocton defenders gathered to repel the advance Nick Goold slid a ball along the ground into the path of Oshungbure who was free in the centre and he side footed the ball past the advancing keeper to open the score for the home side. Brocton responded and Pierce Kiembi made several advancing runs on the right working with Edwards and Kinsella in an attempt to get a goal back. However the inevitable happened with a counter attack ending with Goold moving in field from the wing and scoring with a left foot shot into the top corner of Barrett’s net on 36 minutes. There were several Brocton players encouraging their teammates  to raise their game and a swift move down the centre allowed Paul McMahon to get free and pass to Edwards who slotted the ball past the advancing keeper for Brocton’s first goal. Both teams were untidy in their link play and attacks were breaking down, and when Craig Holland was backing towards the bye line watching a high ball he collided with an advancing player and the referee surprisingly awarded a penalty for the home side. Both sides were stunned by this decision none more so than penalty taker Nick Goold who placed his shot too close to Barrett who saved competently to his left. Brocton went on the offensive again but half time approached with the score line remaining at two goals to one.

The second half started with an immediate substitution of Josh D Wilson for Pierce Kiembi due to the player injuring his foot. Quorn showed they intended to carry on where they left off in the first half with Oshungbure and Meade getting shots away but both were wide of the mark but a warning to Brocton that they needed to tighten up at the back. Ed Booth put the ball out for a corner and from the resultant kick Jimmy Brooks headed in beyond the reach of Barrett on 60 minutes. Quorn were now on top and Brocton did not have an answer to the forward play of the home side and were over run with Meade side stepping two of Brocton defenders and slotting home goal number four on 65 minutes.  Brocton did rally for a spell and forced a corner which was dispatched by Berks with Dan Lomas heading in at the far post from a narrow angle. Brocton were still looking vulnerable at the back and a mix up between Booth and Barrett allowed Callum Thompson to nip in a steal the ball which he dispatched for goal number five.  Brocton were really getting frustrated and pushed up further and were unlucky to not get a goal back after a mix up in the Quorn defence where the ball had gone over the keeper but was cleared off the line in a frantic effort by Cameron Powell. Quorn also saw the space beyond the Brocton defenders and had runs on goal but wasted their opportunities. Brocton had a free kick near the end headed by Booth but cleared off the line again. This was a game that Brocton were second best and Quorn were worthy winners.


blog comments powered by Disqus