Praise for Young Athertone Squad

Atherstone 2nd XV 72- 17 Manor Park 2nd XV

Last Updated: Apr 16, 2015 10:43pm
Atherstone, North Warwickshire
By Julie Douglas
Share |

Second Team Captain Matt Kent was full of praise for his young squad and their performance in the match, however he acknowledged the team spirit of the opposition who travelled the short distance to Ratcliffe Road with a depleted squad.  To ensure a competitive game, Kent agreed to loan players, including former Manor Park player Andy Redman, to Manor Park throughout the game as injuries saw the team reduce even further.  

The home side opened their scoring within the first five minutes when Andy Burton ducked and dived over the line.  James Bagnall added the extras with a well struck ball from a tight angle.  Within minutes Atherstone crossed the whitewash again with Lewis Wrigley putting in a strong run weaving through the opposition for the first of his hat-trick.  Bagnall obliged with the extras and added a further three points from a successful penalty kick.  Bagnall added to his personal tally with a try and conversion to take the score to 24-0.  Michael Douglas continued to show good form using his strength to scythe through the opposition to cross for an unconverted try. Kent added his name to the score sheet galloping from deep within his own half dodging his way through the defence to touch down.  Bagnall’s kicked curled nicely over the bar to take the score to 36-0. Atherstone’s final try of the half came from an excellent run by Wrigley with Ben Hartley on hand to collect the pass and power over the line.  Bagnall slotted over the kick leaving the score at 43-0.  Before the end of the half Manor Park were able to find gaps in the defence to cross for two tries one of which was converted.

The men-in-black opened the scoring in the second forty with Charlie Haddon making a searing run up the wing supported by Sam Harlow.  As Haddon was held up, Harlow was on hand to collect the ball and make further ground towards the try line.  A well-timed timed pass to Wrigley put him over for his second try.  Having started the move Haddon was given the opportunity to add the extras.  The windy conditions made the place kick difficult so Haddon opted for a drop kick which sailed over the crossbar.  Indiscipline from the visitors saw Bagnall take a quick tap penalty with Aaron Jones using his strength and agility to carry the ball over for an unconverted try.  Wrigley scored his third after the ball was taken well in a line-out and shipped across the park.  Wrigley mowed through the defence to score an unconverted try.  From the restart, Kent took the ball on once again making excellent ground from inside his own twenty-two into Manor Park’s.  Cameron Brotherhood matched his captain’s pace and was on hand to finish off the attack to take the score to 65-12.

Park added a third try to their total from as Redman slipped through Atherstone’s defence to ground the ball.  The final try of the match came from Brotherhood with a scorching run through the defence. Bagnall added the extras to take the final score to 72-17.

Although being very pleased with the afternoon’s work from his squad, Kent was praised Manor Park for sticking with the game to the final whistle and for playing with pride and passion.  


blog comments powered by Disqus