Alcester 19 - 20 Harbury 20

Midlands 4 West (South)

Last Updated: Nov 27, 2013 05:03pm
Harbury, Stratford-on-Avon
By Jerry Birkbeck
Share |

A very poor display by Harbury against opposition that was fired up and utterly committed throughout the match. Indeed Alcester belied their position in the table with a skilful and industrious display which should augur well for them through the season.

Harbury never got into their stride in the first half and were met with some excellent defence and effective rucking at the breakdown. Harbury weathered the storm but then committed a series of penalties and lost field position as a result. They missed an early kick and goal but came back strongly. However, a dropped ball in midfield fell into the hands of the Alcester backs and they caught Harbury with a well taken try which was converted on the 30th minute of play. A series of penalties were conceded by the visitors for not releasing on the ground and other basic errors. These took Alcester to a series of rolling mauls close to the Harbury line but these were countered. However, on the stroke of half time the match official caught Harbury for persistent offside and awarded the hosts a penalty try for a 14-0 lead.

Harbury regrouped after the half time break and began to create pressure on Alcester as the pack drove the opposition eight backwards. Quick ball was slipped out to centre DAZ KITTENDORF who cut through the cover to touch down beneath the posts. Richard Mazurek converting.

Another good move by the forwards took Harbury back to the Alcester line and they drove over for a try with no 8 TOM KITTENDORF touching down. The conversion was missed and the scoreline reduced to a two point deficit.

Harbury were once more penalised in midfield and Alcester kicked for touch. Alcester made the most of quick ball from the breakdown and touched down wide out. The conversion was missed but Alcester were a clear seven points ahead.

Another set scrum within the Alcester 22 was moved quickly to outside half RUSS CLARKE who choose a good line to score. The conversion was missed with Alcester leading by two points at 19-17.  Alcester attempted a long distance penalty from 40 metres but it fell short. In the final five minutes of play Harbury were awarded a penalty head on to the posts which CLARKE converted to take his team ahead for the first time in the game. The final minutes were played in midfield and the referee blew for no-side to give Harbury a tight win.

Harbury’s support play was poor, their discipline in conceding needless penalties needs to improve and their passing was below par. However, their line out was excellent and full back ROB ANDREWS was superb and a deserved man of the match. Sadly he was injured in the final play of the game.

Harbury entertain Altherstone on Saturday at Middle Road in what will be a difficult encounter,

ALCESTER U 17’s  12

HARBURY U 17’S   42

The day after a tight match between the senior sides Harbury’s U17’s travelled to Alcester.  

The handling drills that we’ve been practicing paid off today with a really great performance, some good passing and movement especially from Harbury’s backs who always looked dangerous.  With the jumpers we dominated the lineouts, Robert Rollason and Henry Steele setting up good ball for the back line.  After some slick passing Mitch Cook showed his speed and power to avoid three tacklers and go over in the corner.  Soon after Mat Dunne burst through to score and Jack Beynon converted.

After the first ten minutes Harbury’s scrum worked well with good driving from Tom Pullen and Adam Webster.  Tackling was also sharp with Rory Pickin, Joe Webster and James Lewis all putting in big hits.  Left winger Will Irvine was great in attack and defence.  Ted Easton and Simon Fisher got the ball wide and set up Mat Dunne for his second try after Alcester had pulled one back.  Full back Ricky Hughes did well running back the restart kick.

In the second half Harbury started to dominate No. 8 Joe Bourne powered through to score and then the best try of the game, Joe Hughes took the ball on the right wing cut back inside beat off half a dozen tackles and unloaded to Mitch who covered ground at speed to offload 5 metres out over his shoulder for James to score – BRILLIANT.

Joe Bourne then scored another try showing his strength to extend Harbury’s lead.

Replacements Tom Jelfs, George White, Max Cheesman, Tom Boag, Will Higgins and Harry White all played their part in extending Harbury’s lead.

Joe Hughes showed a clean pair of heels to score a fine individual try in the corner.

Alcester pulled a score back but Jack Beynon scored Harbury’s final try with a handoff and broke through the defences.  Unfortunately his conversion attempt hit the bar.




blog comments powered by Disqus