Alvechurch Lions Take First Win

Bromsgrove Football League - Week 7

Last Updated: Sep 21, 2014 09:21pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Another 17 games worth of fun in the BDFL for Week 7 – And a great start for our sides in the Worcestershire FA Junior Cup where Stoke Sporting and Sporting Grapevine both won their games in the first round.

Stoke Sporting went into the game with Millfield Rovers from Redditch Division 1 as the underdogs but a fine team display, underpinned by hard work, saw them through 2-1. Midfielder Peter Warman is now adding goals to his game, he struck first although this was actually a cross that ended up in the net, before Kieran Waldron equalised for Rovers. Fine saves by Simon Boon kept Rovers at bay for a half time score of 1-1. Stoke played a lot better in the second half and after missing a penalty, Ashley Roland put away another chance to secure a fine victory. Meanwhile the Grapes beat Worcester league side Hallow Village 4-0. Jason D’Aguilar is amongst the goals again, another brace today whilst one a piece for Tom Devaney and a first club goal for Will Doolan. Well done to both sides!

Onto League action and in the Premier Division, Victoria Barnt Green survived one hell of a scare against Bromsgrove Unionists, who had led 2-0 at half-time. Unionists started the game brightly and seemed well organised. They opened the scoring after 13 minutes when Joseph Kings cut in and drilled a fine 25 daisy cutter inside Chris Mole’s right hand post. Two minutes later the lead was doubled – Andy Partridge and Mole got in a right pickle and Partridge ended up heading the ball past Mole, who could only fumble the ball into the back of the net when trying to retrieve the situation, a real horror goal. With Vic missing numerous first teamers, notably Smith, Wells, May and Wilkes, as well as first team managers Lezza Williams and Wayne Davis, there was a definite lack of spark and fluidity; Unionists in comparison were bright, enterprising and full of spirit, the gangly Luke Pedwell and Brad Algar causing untold problems, with Michael Collins organising the backline well protecting John Kirby in the Unionists goal who had little to do, although he was relieved to see a trademark Bishop turn and shot drift narrowly wide after 20 minutes. Vic however nearly got back into the game on the stroke of half-time; Ellis Blakemore was denied by a fine Kirby save before the ball was recycled to Bishop who struck a powerful right footed shot that Kirby did well to reach and push wide for a corner. Blakemore thought he had equalised on the half-time whistle but the referee had already blown up. Into the second half and Vic significantly upped their game, helped by an inspired tactical move by Baz Wilkes standing in for Davis, this saw Peter Jenvey move further forward and his breaks down the right flank were crucial in the second period. Vic got back into the game on 62 minutes when Ryan Molesworth finished from close range after Kirby had parried a close range effort, before the almost inevitable equaliser came 5 minutes later, this was an own goal after a teasing right wing centre which forced the Unionists centre back to shin roll the ball over the line. With all the momentum now in Vic’s favour, even with the uphill kick, it seemed the third goal was only a matter of time but Unionists held firm and began to look like they would see the game out. With Vic frustrations rising, substituted Aaron Rea received a bizarre booking for a volley of needless dissent from the sidelines. With the game looking likely to end in a draw, a long ball over the top saw Bishop get the better of his opponent who then provided an ice cool finish to slot home the winner with 1 minute left on the clock. In the end analysis, Vic will feel they were lucky to get the points but the sign of champions is those who play below their potential but still grind out the win; As for Unionists, much heartache but they can take all the positives from this match as for long periods of the game, they were on top. On the other H.D.A pitch, Alvechurch Lions recorded their first win of the season, a 5-0 victory over Thomas Brothers who received their first ever heavy defeat in the BDFL. Goals from new signing Mr Miller (2), welsh wing wizard Dane Morgan (another 2) and captain Aaron Whittaker saw Lions home. With Chopper Hodgetts trying to engineer a move away from the Lions to the Brothers, the re-match could be an interesting one.


In Division 1, FC Rednal notched up a fine 4-2 away win at Woodgate Valley. Being 3-0 up inside 30 minutes undoubtedly helped but Woodgate were poor in the first period. They rallied in the second and Adam Kerrigan got his name on the scoresheet when he was quickest to react to Nathan Brown’s volley being parried by Julian Bellamy. Kerrigan got another after another being out of the blocks first again after Sippitts’ stunning shot had been well saved. However FCR got their fourth with 15 minutes to go and that was that. Game of the day was at Silver Street where Studley Railway took on North Colts United with both sides having respect for each other, it was a shame both sides were understrength so the expected ‘classico’ never really materialised with the points shared. Studley took the lead through a Nick Briggs penalty, before ‘The Beast’, Jon Myrie, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and scored 2 good free kicks and setting up Luke Bench to enable Colts to take a 3-1 lead going to the interval. Colts struck the woodwork through Paul Newman in the second half and were then made to pay as Briggs scored another penalty, before Matt Rowland notched a headed equaliser with 4 minutes to go to deservedly secure a point for Studley.


In Division 2, there’s a bit of a needle been built up between Bromsgrove United and AFC Millfields, this appeared to carry on today despite the sides battling out a 9 goal thriller which Bromsgrove edged 5-4, although the winner was a hotly disputed one which left Millfields manager Adrian Godwin seething. One person who will also be feeling pigsick at the result is Owen Hancox who had netted all 4 for Millfields including a spectacular volley. Millfields will be left kicking their heels next week as their WFA Cup opponents, Sports Dyson (not run by our own Clay we have to say), have myseterously decided to withdraw from the competition. Callowbrook Swifts Blue gained their first league win of the season with a 6-0 win over Golden Lion Reserves, for whom have been going on a bit of a recruitment drive this week to improve matters. They had a healthy turnout of 14 players today and seem in good spirits still. They were undone this week by the Superstar, Matthew Perry, who hit another hat-trick (one a penalty), whilst Luke Douse and player-manager Luke Bowles also netted with his first of the season; The other goal was an unfortunate own goal. Callowbrook Blue are finding some form now, this was their fourth victory in a row and they’ll certainly be tested more at BGIS next Sunday.

Division 3 action now but just the one game to report on. AFC Northfield Reserves have slipped under the radar somewhat but lead the division with 4 wins out of 4, the latest over Stoke Sporting Reserves 4-1.  A brace for Odane, one for Sam Valente and on a day of own goals all around, an own goal in this one was goal number four.

The Bridgwater Cup group phases also continued today, with a couple of matches. In the Greenlands derby, Division 2 Hizza United narrowly beat Division 3 Coldfield for whom we hope they can get something on the board in the near future too. The Hizza hero was none other than Shane Hancox with the only goal. Arrow Valley’s fast start is something of a distant memory now as they fell to another defeat, this time 4-2 at home to Laburnum. Despite another brace for the gangly Valley striker Alan Beech, it was an even taller striker who did the damage for Laburnum, as giant Andy Seager netted a hat-trick. Rob Smith with the other goal. LMS Shield group phases were also played out and congratulations to Hare and Hounds who are through to the quarter-finals after a 4-1 away win at AFC Northfield. Hounds are looking a strong outfit this season,  goals from Lee Dunkley (2), Luke Dugmore and Josh Westwood were enough to beat Nick Clarke’s men, for whom original FC Rednal founder Luke ‘Snorkel’ Parker netted. Hounds are racing out of the blocks this season and once they had established a 3-0 buffer early on, there was no way back. Division 1 Lickey End Social made their LMS debut today and will be annoyed to throw away a 3-0 lead against Premier Division Golden Lion Athletic, which was given to them c/o Sam Wright’s brace and an Ollie Pugh goal. Marcus Allbutt is back on the books of Golden Lion and his brace, along with a strike from James Rowley, ensured the points were shared to leave the group extremely wide open.

Four knockout cup matches to review to finish this weeks report and we’ll start with Spa’s failure to set up a Division 1 cup quarter-final with now foes Lickey End Social, as they didn’t beat Santiago RV although to be fair, it was in a penalty shoot out so their good 90 minute record remains intact. Luke Rainbow got Spa off to the perfect start, heading home at the back post. Santiago then won a penalty which was smashed against the bar so a let off. Santiago did equalise in the second half, only for part-time boxer Michael Pardoe to restore the lead, before the nameless Santiago number 10, who was a constant threat, equalised to send the game to a shootout.  Put simply, Spa’s penalties weren’t as good as Santiago’s, despite the giant frame of Chris Rich getting a hand to several kicks and Santiago won through to the next round.  In the Rose Bowl Preliminary Round tie, another game to go to penalties, Bromsgrove United Reserves won 5-3 on penalties against Callowbrook Green, this after coming from 3-0 down to draw 4-4! A truly thrilling encounter down at Parkside Middle School! Callowbrook Green had gone 3-0 ahead before the deficit was reduced when the quiet one (Lee Crawford) scored from Ryan Eves setting him up with his head. Eves then netted a penalty before Kyle Williams pulled the scores level, which set the scene for Eves to get another which was surely the winning goal – No! Callowbrook came back to force penalties, converting a penalty of their own late on. The shootout was full of drama and the Bromsgrove hero was goalkeeper Adam Walford, selected ahead of first choice Ricky Jones, who kept out Alex Beck’s kick to seal the victory and leave manager Phil Eves once again going through a range of emotions from depression to elation over the course of the game.

In the Premier Cup Preliminary Round, Belbroughton Athletic had to switch their match to Meadow Park’s Stadia Brush due to the late unavailability of Redhill School, but the plush surroundings and the large pitch probably helped them as they saw off Meadow 3-0. Two goals from skipper Al Emery and one for Chris Gleadlow did the damage, to set up an away tie at Rubery Athletic next. And finally in the WA Harris Cup, Chaddesley Corbett’s good run continues as they beat Stoke Prior 6-0 in what was a niggly game for some time. Teenage striker Rocco Mitchell is in good form, another two from him today, with the returning Nathan Steward also on target amongst a plethora of other scorers who we don’t know the names of due to our resident Chaddesley reporter also submitting his report with nicknames! A trip to either FC Rednal or Hare and Hounds awaits Chaddesley and that’ll test their new found mettle.

Week 8 next Sunday sees the majority of the County Cup ties being fulfilled, so we wish all of our sides good luck in them, no better way to profile the league than by doing well in the outside cups. Hare and Hounds get their toughest assignment of the season against Kidderminster League side Ocean, whilst Vic Barnt Green again face a tough task away at WCT Raiders (who knocked them out last year), with more players missing added to this week’s absentees. Belbroughton Athletic also face the current cup holders Grange Athletic, whilst Thomas Brothers host Bromsgrove Unionists in an all Bromsgrove Premier game.  It’ll be interesting to see what Lickey End make of their trip to New AFC Barbourne from the Worcester League whilst it’s passport time for Woodgate Valley who head to Evesham United. We also have league and cup action for you, Spa Athletic v North Colts United a fixture to note in Division 1.

Victoria Barnt Green 3 (Molesworth, OG, Bishop), Bromsgrove Unionists (J Kings, OG)
Thomas Brothers 0, Alvechurch Lions 5 (Morgan 2, Miller 2, Whittaker)
Woodgate Valley 2 (Kerrigan 2), FC Rednal 4
Studley Railway 3 (N Briggs 2, M Rowland), North Colts United 3 (Myrie 2, Bench)
Bromsgrove United 5, AFC Millfields 4 (HANCOX 4)
Callowbrook Swifts Blue 6, (PERRY 3, Douse, Bowles, OG), Golden Lion Athletic Reserves 0
AFC Northfield Reserves 4 (Odane 2, Valente, OG), Stoke Sporting Reserves 1 
Bromsgrove United Reserves 4 (Eves 2, Williams, Crawford), Callowbrook Swifts 4 (BUR won 5-3 on penalties)
Belbroughton Athletic 3 (Emery 2, Gleadlow), Meadow Park 0
Spa Athletic 2 (Rainbow, Pardoe), Santiago RV 2 (SRV Win 3-2 on pens)
Chaddesley Corbett 6 (Mitchell 2, Beard, Steward, Rhino), Stoke Prior 0
Stoke Sporting 2 (Warman, Roland), Millfield Rovers 1 (Waldron)
Sporting Grapevine 4 (D'Aguilar 2, Devaney, Doolan), Hallow Village 0
Hizza United Seconds 1 (Hancox), Coldfield 0
Arrow Valley 2 (Beech 2), Laburnum 3 (A SEAGER 3, Smith)
AFC Northfield 1 (Parker), Hare and Hounds 4 (Dunkley 2, L Dugmore, J Westwood)
Golden Lion Athletic 3 (Allbutt 2, Rowley), Lickey End Social 3 (S Wright 2, Pugh)


blog comments powered by Disqus