An Exciting Finale for OLRFC U10s

Prima Tiger Cup

Last Updated: Mar 30, 2015 07:24pm
Blackdown, Warwick
By Andy Johnson
Share |

Old Leamingtonian U10’s Prima Tiger Cup adventure came to a sad, but exciting end in the semi-final knockout stages at Welford Road on Saturday (28th March).  

The Prima Tiger Cup, which has been an annual event since 1995, is a tournament open to all under 10's clubs. The tournament of over 70 teams, takes part over 5 festivals covering the Leicester Tigers Academy Region and beyond.  In an exciting festival last November, the OLs  were out right winners which qualified them for the finals at the home of Leicester Tigers.

The draw for the quarter final matches was made during the week by Leicester Tiger’s community manager, Scott Clarke.  From the hat, he produced a tasty local ‘derby’ pairing of Old Coventrians.

With a coach-load of OLs supporters behind them, our boys proved too strong for our Coventry neighbours with quick ball movement and strong defending to beat them 5-0. 

The excitement of that victory was then given an extra twist by the semi-final pairing with Market Harborough. OLs U10’s had played Market Harborough in one of their toughest ever games in a festival final in 2014. That time, it ended in a narrow victory for OLs. However, this time, it wasn’t to be. Market Harborough were a strong outfit, that managed to stop our normally creative play. In all honesty, OL’s never really got going and eventually conceded three tries. This was a strange position for our young boys to be in, but although it was clearly hard for them to accept, they never let their heads drop. And, in a last act of defiance, a conciliation try was made.

Team coach, Pete Johnson said. “The boys played with pride both in victory and defeat.”  He added.  “They were quite simply amazing and a credit to their families and club”. 

Coach, Colin Aston said. “It was a great day for OLs U10's, getting through to the semi-finals out of over 70 teams is a fantastic achievement”. He added. “However, we will look forward, learn from our mistakes and work a bit harder, and in doing so, I'm sure more success will be round the corner.” Sentiments echoed by Pete who said. “We know their efforts here today, will pay dividends in the future for the children as they all develop over the next few years”.  

The overriding feeling of both coaches and parents, however, was of how proud they were of their boys.

The grand final then was between Market Harborough and Olney RFC. This proved to be a very close game. Olney scored early on, but with very little time left, Market Harborough equalised. With both teams finishing with one try each they will share the trophy.

After this wonderful event, the boys, their families and their friends took to the stands and watched Leicester Tigers v Exeter Chiefs. If anyone was sad before, that sadness soon began to fade when the roar of “TIGERS, TIGERS, TIGERS…” rang around the stadium.


blog comments powered by Disqus