Another Great Win for OLRFC U18s

National Colts Cup results

Last Updated: Oct 11, 2016 07:50pm
Blackdown, Warwick
By Damian Dixon
Share |

Old Leamingtonians Under 18s notched their fifth consecutive win on Sunday to move into the 3rd Round of the National Colts Cup. 

Playing at Worcester Wanderers in the shadow of the Premiership Sixways stadium, home of the Warriors, OLs produced a performance fit for the setting. 

Captain Sennen Scobie chsoe to play with the slope in the first half, and leading from the front pinched Wanderers first three line-outs. The hosts were a physically imposing side and used the crash ball in midfield to good effect. OLs slipped off a couple of tackles , allowing Wanderers to score a try after seven minutes. OLs did not panic, but increased the pressure on Wanderers. With the OL’s line-out imperious and Wanderers also struggling in the scrum, the Worcester outfit struggled to clear their lines. A dropped ball in their own 22, saw Wanderers in trouble and the ball was recovered by OLs allowing Jamie Reynolds to score on the left touch in the 14th minute. Callum Semple’s excellent conversion saw OLs take the lead. 

Most of the rest of the first half saw OLs dominate territory but thwarted by Wanderers defence. The hoops remained patient and as Wanderers heavier pack tired, OLs made a decisive move. Firstly turnover ball was shipped wide allowing Reynolds to score a second try, and then George Parker broke through the line and offloaded to Alex Witchell to score on the half-time whistle, giving OLs a healthy 19 – 5 lead. 

Wanderers now had the slope and put pressure on OLs. The 12th minute saw a fine move end with a converted try for the hosts, bringing them within a single score. Hopes of a come back faded immediately as OLs once again regained ball in midfield. Jordi Pocknell dribbled through allowing Witchell to collect and score his second try under the sticks [see attached]. Charlie Curtis added the extras. Wanderer’s heads dropped and although the half was disrupted by stoppages, OLS maintained their stranglehold. 

Good ball won by the forwards was used well by the backs, and although Wanderers defended well, eventually OLs found enough space to feed Reynolds who sped up the left touchline to complete his hat-trick. The icing on the cake was provided with the last move of the match, flowing rugby ending with Matthew Woodhouse sprinting in from distance to score another by the left corner flag. 

The final score was 36 – 12 to OLs. The next round is on 12/13 November; draw to be made this week.


blog comments powered by Disqus