Atherstone 2nd XV Take the Honours

Bedworth Bears 15 – 21 Atherstone 2nd XV

Last Updated: Nov 11, 2014 06:50am
Atherstone, North Warwickshire
By Julie Douglas
Share |

Grit, determination and some outstanding individual performances saw Atherstone Seconds take the honours in this league game keeping them in contention for promotion. Returning to the team this season after a long break, James Bagnall showed that his boot has lost none of its shine as he kicked conversions from every angle of the park.   

The men in black faced a stronger and more experienced pack which proved to be problematic initially as they struggled to compete in the set pieces.  Early in the game a scrum on the visitor’s five meter line provided the platform for the home side’s first try as the pack used their superior weight to drive Atherstone back over the line.  The try went unconverted as the kick bounced off the posts.

The Ratcliffe Road outfit responded well and began to compete more effectively whilst putting in some outstanding work to defend their territory.  After twenty-five minutes of play, their efforts were rewarded as Rich Smith made a superb break through the defence off loading to Stevie Parker to run in the try.  Bagnall added the extras to put his team in the lead.  Both sides continued to attack and defend vigorously with Atherstone holding firm as the Bears piled on the pressure on the try line. As the half drew to a close it was the men in black who had the better of territory and possession.  They were unlucky not to have extended their lead as excellent attacks were met with stalwart defence from the home side.  The half closed with Atherstone narrowly ahead.

Bedworth’s second try of the match came from a dominant pack once again forcing their opposition back in the scrum for an unconverted try.  A bounced back with a well worked try which was started with a long clearance kick to touch from George Bartlam.  Parker chased up the kick and closed down the Bears as they tried to take a quick throw in to get back up the park.  Containing the Bedworth player within his own 22, Parker was soon joined by the forwards who secured possession.  Dom Fulleylove, playing in his first senior league match, was on hand to finish the work off by going over for the try.  Bagnall once again put in a fantastic kick which curled nicely over the crossbar to put Atherstone four points in the lead.

The visitors extended their lead when Parker received the ball out on the wing and ran 90 yards to the try line to score in the corner.  Although a difficult angle to kick Bagnall once again showed his versatility adding the extras to bring the score to 10-21.  Despite having tackled well throughout the game, a superb break from Bedworth saw them run in an unconverted try from deep within their own territory to take the final score to 15-21.

Atherstone firsts were left without a game this weekend as their Junior Vase opposition Long Eaton were unable to field a side.  The firsts progress to the third round of the competition without yet having kicked a ball having got a bye in the first half. They continue their league campaign next weekend travelling to Redditch.


blog comments powered by Disqus