Bartley Green (BGIS) Cup Success

Bromsgrove & District Football League

Last Updated: May 5, 2015 08:16pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

A very limited fixture list this weekend as we move into the final month of the season.
We’ll start by saying a big congratulations to Bartley Green Illey Sunday (BGIS) who won TWO outside cups in THREE days this week; Following their Thursday win in the Bromsgrove Charity Cup against Wilden Village (2-0 victory thanks to Dom Strevens and Jon Myrie), they took the WFA County Minor Cup on Sunday evening with a 4-0 win over Chaddesley Corbett. This was their third trophy of the season and they are still in the hunt for more in the coming weeks, in what is becoming a sensational season for Mccleary and Marler the BGIS directorates.
The County Cup final match itself yesterday was an entertaining affair where plenty of chances were created throughout and maybe the 4-0 scoreline was a little harsh on Chaddesley. BGIS could have taken the lead inside a minute though; Kicking down the infamous slope, Nick Groves got the better of Matthew Guise out wide and delivered a delicious cross to the back post but Dan Lawrence headed wide. Chadds responded with a ferocious long-ranger from Matt Danbury which went wide and Nathan Steward scuffed a shot wide after a fine through ball from Craig Price. In-form BGIS striker Dom Strevens had two chances to open the scoring and also set up Lawrence who missed again, before the crowed were treated to some dugout amusement when Chadds assistant manager Matthew Fludgate stumbled and fell over in the technical area whilst retrieving the ball as it glided out of play! Steward then hit a neat lob which had BGIS keeper Aaron Collins panicing as he backpedalled but it dipped over. On 41 minutes, BGIS opened the scoring – Strevens notching his 16th goal in the last 5 games with a cool finish, before the lead was doubled on 45 minutes when woeful Chaddesley defending left Lawrence with acres of space inside the area – He was able to side step the defenders before slotting home under Chris Crook.  H-T BGIS 2-0 Chadds.
Into the second half and the open game continued; Chadds were lucky not to be down to 10 men on 47 minutes when Strevens got the better of Danbury who hauled his man down; With a red card set to be shown, referee Macilravey gave the Chadds man the benefit of doubt and produced yellow. Strevens missed a one on one on 49 and Chris Hickey making a rare adventure forward on 57, chipped over the bar as BGIS began to turn the screw. On 60 minutes, Chadds nearly got back in the game as Ryan Moore was denied by a wonderful save from Collins from close range. Things got worse for Chadds on 63 though when the third goal was conceded ; A bit of a strange penalty where the attacking play appeared to be dead, before Crook needlessly seemed to shove Strevens out of  the way and the referee, correctly, awarded the spot-kick from which Josh Craddock sent Crook the wrong way. Chadds centre-back Adam Simpson headed over on 71 as the yellow army desperately tried to find a way back into the match. On 73, Chadds were simply not getting the rub of the green as Moore was again denied by Collins and from the flag kick, Simpson hit the bar with his header. On 78, the WFA representatives started to don the trophy with the green and white ribbons, as Strevens notched again, this time beating Crook to the ball outside the area and the keeper could only watch in horror as the ball rolled into the unguarded net.  Chadds never gave up and their day was summed up, when Richard Ash’s fine glancing header from Mikey Mitchell’s corner was hacked off the line by the BGIS defenders.  All in all another great advert for the league and both teams did us proud as BGIS took the trophy for a competition the BDFL has dominated this season. BGIS manager Mark Mccleary was grinning like a split sausage as he left the ground to take the cup to missing striker Colin Tandy’s wedding reception in Malvern, where the cup appeared in more celebratory photographs than the Royal baby has done!
Onto internal league action and in the Premier Division, VBG Fairfield had a lucky escape against Rubery Athletic ; Needing to win to keep the title race alive, they were drawing 2-2 with Hounds set to lift the trophy, when they were awarded a late late penalty to seal the win 3-2 to grab the vital three points; The watching observers believed the penalty was a harsh decision and it got all too much for Rubery keeper Matty Talbot who got sent to turn the showers on first by being sent off for his protests. Just before this incident, Rubery had a good penalty shout of their own turned down, but they can take the positives from the game of playing very well with a bare side out and two more fine goals for top marksman Andy Court; Indeed the game could have been well and truly over beforehand as the woodwork also agonizingly denied him. This leaves VBGF needing to win their last 3 games and recover a 13 goal difference, indeed should VBGF win by a cumulative 13-0 scoreline in their last games, then a special championship play-off match will need to be arranged due to the sides being completely locked together on all known criteria to split teams; Perhaps this would be a fitting end anyway to the closest title race in years between two very evenly matched sides?  In the other Premier game, Thomas Brothers travelled to Golden Lion Athletic and ran out 7-5 winners in a 12 goal thriller! Maybe the excitement got too much for both press officers as we do not have any details on this game and nothing has been reported online at the time of writing!
In Division One, Sporting Grapevine obtained 3 more points at the top of the table after the default by Victoria Barnt Green Reserves, whilst Woodgate Valley concluded their disappointing season with a second successive win, this time by a 5-3 scoreline against Stoke Sporting who also concluded their proceedings for Season 2014/15 with a mid to lower half finish in Division One.
In Division Two, just the one game and Awkies Allstars secured a 4-1 victory over Hizza United Seconds; Enigmatic striker Ashley Tullett was on form today hitting a hat-trick with a goal also notched by the legendary named Kurt Hoban.
Several teams also played friendlies; Stoke Prior from Division 3 lost 5-0 at home to FC Droitwich Town from the Worcester League whilst Belbroughton Athletic had a taste of prison life as they travelled to Hewell Grangers and came away with a 6-2 victory. Studley Railway also played host to new BDFL side AFC Railway and won 4-1, pick of the goalscorers being Marc Jovanovic with a brace.
Next Sunday it’s the big one – It’s the WA Harris Cup final or in other words, the BDFL FA Cup Final. The winner of this match takes home £500 prize money! Hare and Hounds from our Premier Division take on BGIS from Division Two and with BGIS potentially facing a cup final in the morning as well, Hounds will enter the final as red hot favourites – However do not rule BGIS out with their winning mentality developed over the past weeks! It’s a 630pm kick off at Bromsgrove Sporting FC so please put the date in your diaries and come on down to watch the match! We also have a plethora of other divisional league games – Some of the bigger games in Division 2 will be played in the latter weeks of May as it is all still to play for in this division.


Bartley Green Illey Sunday bring home TWO 'Outside Cups' in THREE days

Chaddesley Corbett 0, BGIS 4 (Strevens 2, Lawrence, Craddock)
VBG Fairfield 3, Rubery Athletic 2 (Court 2)
Golden Lion Athletic 5, Thomas Brothers 7

Woodgate Valley 5, Stoke Sporting 3 

Awkies Allstars 4 (ASH TULLETT 3, Hoban), Hizza United Seconds 1 

BGIS 2 (Strevens, Myrie), Wilden Village 0



blog comments powered by Disqus