Biggest Crowd in Brockton's History

FA Vase Round 3

Last Updated: Dec 13, 2015 08:51pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

FA Vase Round 3

Hereford  2   Brocton  0


A crowd of over 2000, the biggest in Brocton’s 78 year history, who braved persistent rain and strong winds were treated to an excellent game of football with good performances from both sides. The wind in particular caused problems and home keeper Martin Horsell had his raucous supporters holding their collective breaths early on when he spilled a speculative shot. Sam Bell and Sean Kinsella were close, but Horsell recovered to smother the ball before any damage was done. Joe Tumelty  then raced clear on the right for Hereford, found Pablo Heysham who put the ball into the path of prolific top scorer  John Mill but he blazed his effort well over the bar.

Chances  were coming at both ends and in quick succession Callum  Barrett had to tip over an effort from Mills and then Horsell did the same to a Dave Berks effort. The sides continued to trade attacks, but as the game progressed, Hereford’s build up became stronger and many of Brocton’s were as a result of having been forced to defend and were therefore too long. An alert midfield for Brocton in the shape of Charlie  Jones and Sean Kinsella managed to intercept a good proportion of Hereford’s passes through that area and that was where the visitors could have caused an upset. Bell came closest, but a fine tackle on the edge of the box from former Wolves & Wales defender Ryan Green halted his advance.

Josh Wilson produced a similar tackle at the other end as Hereford broke out, but from the resulting corner, Mustapha Bundu out muscled the Brocton defence to get in a downward header and put the home side ahead on 29 minutes.  

In the following attack, Berks hit the post with a 25 yard shot and that was as near as Brocton came in the first period. 

Kenny Devoir replaced the  injured Josh Wilson at left back for the second half and it soon became clear that the wind in their faces would pose a problem for the visitors. An Ed Booth clearing header spun back and, when Matt Dockerty slipped, Mills had a clear path to goal. Barrett made himself big and Mills hit his shot wide. 

When Bell ran to the right corner flag and tried to whip in an early cross it was deflected for a corner. Berks’ corner was met with a Booth head but he could not keep it below the bar. Then Gary Fife collected a fine through ball in the box, but found himself eased off it as he tried to get in a shot.

Hereford then produced a bout of pressure. Barrett made one full length save before having to go one better with a save and fine recovery save in quick succession. The respite was short lived though as substitute Mike Symons under challenge from Craig Holland went down rather easily to claim a penalty. Joel Edwards spot kick was brilliantly parried by Calum Barrett but Edwards managed to net the loose ball and effectively seal the game at 2-0 on 80 minutes. 

It was rough justice on Barrett, but the better team had won, however the Badgers gave a good account of themselves and could come away with heads held high. 

Despite the defeat they could have been satisfied with a good days work but a last minute tackle on Kenny Devoir  saw the Brocton sub stretchered off with what looked like an achilles tendon rupture. 


blog comments powered by Disqus