Birstall 29 - 17 Mansfield

Lapse in concentration proves costly

Last Updated: Jan 25, 2017 09:38pm
Oak Tree, Mansfield
By Mansfield Sports Reporter
Share |

Despite scoring first within the ten minutes of kick off in a very competitive opening quarter Mansfield coughed up two tries around the half hour mark from which they were not able to recover. 

Head Coach Wayne Robinson rallied the troops at half time but his charges had left it too late, “We knew our defence needed some work in the second half and we did well to score three tries of ours own”.

Another fine performance form Phil Pogmore saw him emerge from the pile of bodies to claim Mansfield’s first try after ten minutes. Despite an early yellow card for a high tackle Birstall hit back after twenty minutes with a penalty to bring the score to 3-5.

With half an hour played a profligate pass saw the home Centre take the interception and race under the posts to stretch the lead to 10-5. To add to the pain, just two minutes later a penalty try was awarded to Birstall accompanied by a yellow card for Mansfield’s offender. The scoreboard now read 17-5 and it appeared the visitors were losing their grip on the game.

A further try just wide of the posts brought the half time score to 22-5. This could have been extended further in the last move of the half but the ball as dropped over the line.

The second half saw Mansfield dominate the opening fifteen minutes as they did in the first half and doggedly claw their way back into the game. Sam Holmes and his pack drove over the line to claim a second try bringing the score to 22-10 and thoughts of a comeback began to emerge.

However, Birstall responded immediately with their final try of the game bringing the score to 29-10 and leaving the visitors a huge hill to climb and twenty minutes to do it in.

The home side received their second yellow card of the game after 25 minutes played in the second half and again Mansfield pressed on. Some great forward pressure began to tell and with ten minutes to go Mansfield were awarded a penalty try of their own in the process of pushing the opposition over the line at a scrum. This bought the score to 29-17 which proved to be the final tally.

Despite coming back well, it proved to be too little too late and the blue & whites simply ran out of time. Giving scores away needlessly is a habit that has to be broken and is something that they are well aware of and will look to remedy that for this week’s game.

Mansfield host Bakewell RFC this weekend and the Kick-off is 2.15pm. You can follow the action on Twitter, just go to @MansfieldRugby.


blog comments powered by Disqus