Boldmere St Michaels 2 - 3 Brocton

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Feb 7, 2016 05:31pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

An amazingly balmy evening saw an entertaining end to end game and a solid debut for youngster Aidan Stone in between the sticks for Brocton, replacing Callum Barrett, who was ill. Sean Kinsella got the Badgers off to a swift start with an early strike just wide from distance. Jack Edwards repeated the dose moments later. His effort was wide of the mark as well, but the visitors’ intentions were clear.

Boldmere tried to hit the ball long for willing runners, but Brocton were well organised at the back and Ed Booth powered away a series of clearances with his head. Paul McMahon then nipped on to a crafty lob over the Boldmere back line by Dan Lomas, but he had gone fractionally early and was caught off side. McMahon tried again a moment later after Edwards had pinched the ball and Dave Berks slid a neat pass into McMahon’s run, but it was a bit on the heavy side and ran through to the keeper.

Just after the twenty minute mark Brocton had much better fortune. A cross come shot from Dave Ablewhite, as he and Edwards combined to win the ball on the right flank, deceived the keeper who could do no more than help it into his own net. 

Less than a minute later McMahon gambled on a header back to the keeper being short and kept his composure as he lobbed it into the net to give Brocton a two goal advantage. That cushion was equally short lived though as Boldmere broke quickly from the kick off and from fully 35 yards, home winger Harry Howard hit a fine shot into the roof of the net.

A free kick for Brocton after Edwards was held back caused a tussle in the home box, but the loose ball was well saved and from the ensuing break Boldmere won a similar free kick at the other end. It was well struck, but as it was touched on in the box, the eventual shot was hit from an off side  position.

Brocton then won the ball high up the field through the harrying of Charlie Jones and Edwards was set free on the right of goal. He soon came under pressure, but got his shot away. The shot was blocked and the ever alert McMahon turned it towards goal only to see the keeper turn it for a corner. Ed Booth got a trade mark powerful downward header on the ball from the corner and the keeper once again foiled Brocton with a good save.

Then came a pair of great chances for the visitors. First Edwards was through, striking his shot strongly, but just wide and then McMahon found a similar position and the wily striker slipped the ball across the keeper and into the side of the net to give Brocton back that two goal cushion at half time.

Boldmere raised their tempo even further in the second period and were eventually rewarded for their efforts, the substitute bagging one back for them. The home side pressed for that elusive equaliser, but inevitably left space at the back and Brocton substitutes Pierce Kiembi and Gary Fife did everything but score as they outpaced the home rearguard and passed the ball beyond the keeper’s reach. A fine tackle took the ball from Fife’s toe as he shaped to pass into the net.


blog comments powered by Disqus