Brockton End Season on a High

Brocton 2 - 0 Basford United

Last Updated: Apr 26, 2015 08:16pm
Penkside, Stafford
By pete Russell
Share |



Brocton gave newly crowned league Champions a guard of honour when they too k to the field at Silkmore Lane on Saturday and then set about taking three points off them and ending the season in style. 

Basford went straight into attack putting the Brocton defence under pressure and Daniel Fletcher shot straight across the Brocton penalty area on three minutes deceiving everyone but the shot went wide. Brocton were content to counter attack at this stage with the occasional shot on goal. Basford continued their pressure and Aaron Webster had a clear opportunity but fluffed his kick as did Ruben Wiggins – Thomas on twelve minutes. Stuart Hendrie for Basford was becoming more influential in midfield and was always looking to get his shot away. Brocton were reduced to the odd attack but Josh Wilson nearly surprised the league champions with a crisp lob just over the keeper from twenty two yards. Calum Barratt was becoming busy in the Brocton goal and was on hand for several crosses with Wiggins-Thomas bearing down on several attacks at this stage of the match. Edwards worked an opening on thirty three minutes but shot wide, and as the first half was drawing to a close Brocton had several opportunities through Berks, Edwards and McMahon but Basford defended well and saw the danger away. Brocton had held the League champions at the half way stage and their plan had worked but much of the credit must go to Barrett in the home goal with his handling and reading of the dangerous situations which he dealt with admirably.

The second period started but both teams having a share of the attacking play, but through Josh Wilson’s persistence he won a corner on fifty minutes which Berks took and Ed Booth dispatched into the right hand corner for the first goal of the match. Basford were stung into action but every time they advanced that man Barrett was on hand to collect the ball for the home side and make the essential save which he did on sixty minutes from Tyrell Shannon. The same player had a chance three minutes later but blasted high and wide. Basford were out of sorts at this stage and Brocton were taking advantage, with some sharp inter change passing between Morris, Lomas and Berks, and movement of the ball left and right bringing Rudd and Skinner into over lapping runs which was becoming more and more effective. Basford however defended well and the tempo of the game increased as the visitors pursued the equalising goal. Both sides introduced substitutes in an effort to change the course of the game but it was Fife who had come off the bench who headed a ball to Wilson who passed to Berks who produced a right foot shot only for Jake Wood in the Basford goal to pull off one of several good saves towards the end of the match. Basford were not to be denied and stepped up their efforts but again Barrett saved well from Jahred Russell. Brocton defence was well marshalled by Ed Booth and Matt Dockerty who were making effective tackles when required. Fife collected a ball on eighty six minutes passed to the ever willing Wilson who took the ball and players to the right only to pass the ball across the goal for the waiting Berks to fire in for goal number two. Berks had a further two opportunities to increase Brocton’s margin further but both were foiled by last ditch defending. Basford continued to press in the dying minutes but the game was over and Brocton were worthy winners over a side heading upwards to the Evostik league. 


blog comments powered by Disqus