Brockton's First Win still Elusive

Brocton v Shepshed Dynamo

Last Updated: Aug 24, 2015 08:17pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

The game was played at a good pace from the start in blistering heat which had descended on the ground in the previous hour and made the atmosphere very sticky. Shepshed bought their humorous but noisy supporters as is the expectation at this particular fixture, however they were kept quite through the majority of the first half by a very controlled Brocton performance which was encouraging to see following their poor start to the season. Dave Ablewhite was installed at left back and the left flank with Matt Hardiman in front, looked very positive in the early exchanges, but Shepshed appeared to be content to keep out any Brocton threat with a very solid formation of two banks of four players with dual centre halves Lee Mineld and Jack Betts taking everything in the air that Brocton could throw at them. At this stage of the match Brocton were getting more of the ball and were probing forward through the work of Charlie Jones, Dave Berks and Dan Lomas, but Gary Fife and Lukas Putka where being closed down quickly and goal keeper Laurie Pearson was not being tested that frequently. As the first half moved on, both Shepshed and Brocton were defending most doggedly as half time approached but it was Berks who had an opportunity by moving quickly on the left and fired an excellent shot at keeper Pearson, who parried the ball away to defender Sam Young who without hesitation dispatched the ball so quickly it caught the Brocton defence off guard and centre forward Langham rounded Matt Dockerty and fired the ball past the advancing Calum Barrett to register the first goal of the match on forty four minutes. Most neutrals felt that Brocton were hard done by, with the reversal at half time.

The second half started with Brocton raising the tempo with some good interchanges with Berks, Fife and Lomas but again the Shepshed defence held firm with keeper Pearson in the right place to collect the ball. Brocton brought on Josh Wilson and Ben Farrell in an effort to change the fortunes of the home side, and it was Wilson who made the immediate impact by beating defender Tom Rigby and crossing the ball perfectly for Gary Fife to head home from five yards. Shepshed realised they were now in a competitive game and several robust tackles by both sides resulted in altercations between Farrell  and Langham which the referee handled most sensibly with yellow cards. The game was swinging from end to end and Berks and Fife combined, with the latter being prevented from gaining a lead for the home side with a desperate tackle on the line by Sam Craven blocking the attempt. Following this Barrett made several excellent saves but could not prevent the headed goal by mid fielder Craven who had circled around the back of the Brocton defence and powered the ball wide of the keeper  on seventy three minutes. Brocton did not give up and were pressing and had several attempts to grab an equaliser but Shepshed were happy to see the game out by leaving Mike Reeves up front who was a constant threat to the defenders who were unable to leave him unattended.

The game was a good example of  the Midland Football League standard of football where every team is playing fast precise football with a fine line between the  victors and losers. Unfortunately for Brocton that elusive first win is hard to come by, but progress is being made and it will happen shortly. 




blog comments powered by Disqus