Brocton 0 - 2 Alvechurch

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Mar 6, 2016 02:42pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

For 90 minutes Brocton frustrated title chasing Alvechurch and the expressions of relief and joy from the visitors when they scored at the end of normal time and then added another in injury time told its own story.

There was a swagger to the Alvechirch play from the outset and Brocton could easily have succumbed had it not been for the calm emanating from Gary Fife, who may have found a new job and a longer career at centre back, along with his always steady as a rock partner Ed Booth. The third member at the heart of the defence was the returning Kenny Devoir and he rarely put a foot wrong. Josh Wilson and Dave Ablewhite were sufficiently encouraged to be able venture forward from their full back positions and both did enough to keep their opposing defenders   honest and to tempt the runs of Matt Dean and Sean Kinsella.

For Alvechurch it was the runs of Nick Wright which raised their hopes but on every occasion his final ball was mopped up with the minimum of fuss by the Brocton defence. His first attempt took him into the box and his pass, slipped left for the overlapping Jordan Nadat, was cut out by Fife. His next attempt came at the end of a full half pitch foray, having won the ball on the half way line. This time he did attempt a shot but it was well wide. 

A corner did result in the ball being fought over in Brocton’s box, just as the half time whistle was due and eventually Dave Ablewhite was needed to take the ball away from goal. He did it from the goal line but, in truth it would have been hard justice had it crept into the net.

The start of the second half saw Alvechurch, if possible, even more determined but the first clear chance came to the hard working Matt Dean. Josh Wilson had made ground on the left and his cross from deep to Gary Fife was slipped into Dean’s path. His shot was blocked for a corner. Fife was a whisker away from converting the corner when the ball dropped tantalisingly in front of him. He stretched to get in a shot but could not get any control and it lifted over the bar.

Alvechurch continued to press, particularly when they had the chance to counter attack and it seemed that their efforts were bringing them closer and closer to that elusive goal, but still the Brocton defence held firm and with the pace of Jack Edwards and the guile of Dan Lomas, conjured a snap shot from Lomas to add to the concerns of the visitors’ bench. 

Both sides having made their allowed three substitutions, with Josh D Wilson, Paul McMahon and finally Charlie Jones coming on for Brocton, replacing Matt Hardiman, Matt Dean and Sean  Kinsella but not before Kinsella was a whisker away from putting Brocton in front. His shot could only be parried by keeper Matt Sargeant and Kinsella got to the loose ball first for a second try only for Sargeant to get enough on the ball to send it for a corner. The corner was cleared and in seconds it was Brocton under attack with a series of headers further and further into the box needed the alert Devoir to tidy up. 

Agonisingly the 90 minute mark arrived and a speculative shot high into Brocton’s box was met by Calum Barrett who, despite having both hands on the ball at full stretch above his head, he was met by Carl Edwards with enough in the contact to force the ball over the line. The goal was allowed and a jubilant Alvechurch duly went wild. In fact, directly from an Alvechurch throw after the Brocton restart, Edwards doubled his team’s late lead as he looped his header over the advancing Barrett. 

Brocton: Calum Barrett, Dave Ablewhite, Josh Wilson, Kenny Devoir, Gary Fife, Ed Booth,Matt Dean, Dan Lomas, Jack Edwards, Sean Kinsella, Matt Hardiman. 


Brocton FC held a Sports Dinner at the White Eagle Club in Riverway with former Liverpool & England full back Alan Kennedy as the guest speaker. 

Kennedy was the first man to score the winning goal in two European Cup Finals following up his 81st minute winner against Real Madrid in Paris in 1981with the 1984 winner in a penalty shootout against Roma at the Olympic Stadium in Rome.

He told guests of his playing career that spanned 22 years and saw him make over 500 appearances beginning at Newcastle United before Bill McGarry sold him Liverpool for £330,000 where he collected medals for 5 League Championships , 4 League Cups and those 2 European Cups. 

After Liverpool he moved to his home town club Sunderland and whilst some players choose to quit at the top it was clear from the way he spoke of the game that Alan Kennedy simply loved playing and from Sunderland he moved on to Wigan, then Hartlepool and Wrexham before finally ending his professional  career at non-league Barrow 

The Evening raised £1250 for local charities as well as raising funds towards Brocton FC’s running costs. Brocton were supported by Premier League sponsors Barclays who match funded monies raised by Peter Russell & Eddie Wright to a total of £1750.

Pictured handing one of the cheques over are (L-R) Eddie Wright, Peter Russell, Alan Kennedy and Brocton Chairman Brian Townsend.


blog comments powered by Disqus