Brocton 0 Wolstanton United 3

Staffs FA Vase Round 2

Last Updated: Nov 10, 2013 07:08pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Wolstanton are proving to be Brocton’s nemesis in this competition as for the 3rd time in recent seasons they knocked the Badgers out and in the process became the first visiting team to win at Silkmore Lane this season thanks to a purple patch which saw them score 3 goals in 5 minutes just before half time.

Wolstanton’s work rate when not in possession was excellent from the start. They were the first to threaten with an early strike from distance by Joe Humphries that hit the top of Brocton’s bar on 6 minutes. Brocton too created chances and a 4 man move twice involving Gary Fife ended with Dan Lomas’s deflected shot cannoning off the chest of startled United keeper Doug Hughes.

The keeper had to be on his mettle again when left back Marc Holmes nearly deflected a Dave Berks corner into his own net and then he saved well from Paul McMahon. After Dan Lomas had flighted another corner to the near post it was skipper Chris Broad who kept Wolstanton on terms with a goal line clearance.

At the other end the normally prolific Mark Grice squandered a good chance when he shot well wide after being set up by Karl Williams who won the ball in a midfield tackle.

Shortly after that Brocton were dealt a cruel blow when skipper Matt Skinner was carried off with a serious ankle injury. However the Badgers continued to pass their way through the visitors defence and an excellent exchange involving McMahon & Fife should have produced something but the final ball from McMahon to Fife was wayward and the defence cleared.

The following attack was another quick break by the home side and Fife elected to pass across the box to Paul McMahon as Brocton worked a great opening in front of goal. McMahon was driven a little wide, but still managed to get back into the centre of the goal mouth with the keeper to beat. He did so, but also beat the post. Within seconds he almost atoned for the miss with an acrobatic lob with his left foot over the advancing keeper, but it was clearly not his day and it went over the bar.

The deadlock was broken on 40 minutes when Brocton failed to clear upfield and Karl Williams turned on the loose ball and fired past Adam Whitehouse.

On 43 minutes Mark Grice made it look easy as he curled a free kick over the Badgers’ defensive wall and into the unguarded half of the net.

A minute later Whitehouse saved well to keep out another goal but the visitors were not to be denied for long as from the resulting corner Nathan Shaw headed Wolstanton into an unassailable 3 goal lead.

McMahon had confirmation that it was not his day early in the second half, as he dashed through a static defence, and slotted home what seemed a perfectly good goal only to find that he had very unluckily attracted a flag for off side. Berks shot from distance wrong footing Hughes but once again beating the post and Hulme also struck wide when through on goal, but this had been a bad day at the office for Brocton and Wolstanton were full value for an excellent win.

Brocton: Adam Whitehouse, Dave Ablewhite, Jamie Evans, Matt Skinner, Levi Bailey, Dan Lomas, Andy Bourne, Dave Berks, Craig Hulme, Gary Fife, Paul McMahon.

Used Substitutes: Rob Tomlinson, Lukas Putka, Richard Allen.

On Saturday Brocton travel to Leicestershire to face St Andrews in an FA VASE tie kick off is 3 pm.


blog comments powered by Disqus