Brocton 1 - 3 Stourport Swifts

Midlands Football League, premier division

Last Updated: Nov 27, 2016 07:06pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

A dynamic first twenty minutes from Swifts set the seal on this match before Brocton had time to get into it. The high tempo opening from the visitors meant that in no time the Badgers were left playing catch up and generally chasing shadows. All over the field Swifts had numbers when not in possession and room when they were. It was a lesson in how to climb the league table which Brocton could do well to learn in order to get out of their own lowly league position.  

The opener came from a free kick and the visitors’ superior height in the box proved decisive as Matthew Fulloway made the most of meeting the ball head and shoulders above the nearest Brocton defender. That was just 7 minutes into the match and it buoyed the visitors to raise their already high tempo and determination. 

Brocton had flashes of a chance, Gary Fife first putting through to Jack Edwards, whose effort was put out for a corner and then it was Fife again putting Charles Weston-Hayles through but this time the forward over ran the ball. 

A speculative shot from wide right undid the Brocton defence for the second as it threatened to go in direct with Aidan Stone caught between guarding against that and trying to cover a dart into the box to redirect the ball. Andrew Hudson claimed the goal. That was on 23 minutes and by 25 it was all over. Hudson again provided the final touch but the ball had been pinched in midfield as Brocton were hesitant. Although there was an element once again of good fortune about the rebound being put in, there was nothing fortuitous about the determination to give Brocton no time on the ball and to strike quickly at the heart of the home defence. 

Fife had two chances himself before the break, once needing more time than Swifts allowed him and then heading over the bar when he would normally have scored. 

The second period saw an improvement from the home side and some reduction of pace from the visitors. On the hour Weston-Hayles got to the bye line and put in a tempting cross but it was well anticipated and put out for a corner. But on 68 minutes he got through the Swifts back line and beat keeper Dominic Richards to reduce the deficit after a sumptuous pass into his run from Josh Sedgeley, on for Matt Dean.  

Brocton fought hard for the remainder of the match but Swifts had the cushion and time on their side, seeing the game out comfortably enough. 

Brocton: Aidan Stone, Matt Dean, Josh Wilson, Luke Wright, Adam Robinson,Dave Ablewhite, Gary Fife, Jack Edwards, Charles Weston-Hayles, Dan Lomas.


blog comments powered by Disqus