Brocton 2 - 2 AFC Wulfrunians

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Aug 26, 2014 08:20pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

The visitors were quick to get going and almost from the kick off worked a good overlap on the right and put in a low cross.

The slick surface caused the home defence problems and only a ricochet out for a corner prevented a very early goal. Brocton had to weather those first few minutes as Wulfrunians tried to capitalise, but got a break of their own   going on the quarter hour as Gary Fife sent Callum Rudd free on the right. Rudd got in a loopy cross and visiting keeper Danny Tipton could only parry it as he stretched high and back at the far post. Matt Skinner was on hand to try to sweep the loose ball home, but committed a foul in the process and the chance was gone.

During their period of pressure, Brocton then had Matt Dockerty hit the bar with a hooked shot from a Fife cross and then Rudd unlucky to be caught off side and looking to move forward when Fife had come from behind him bearing down on goal.

Brocton could not afford to relax though as a misplaced pass in midfield was pounced on and a sharp shot stung Callum Barrett’s hands as the Brocton keeper beat it away. Barrett was quickly in action again as Andy Thompson beat the off side line to find himself one on one with Barrett. Ed Booth put pressure on the striker, but it was Barrett who saved the shot.

Brocton’s reply was swift and deep in his own half David Asbury could only lift the ball high with an attempted saving header at the back for the visitors. It came down almost vertically at the far post and Tipton could only just get a hand to it. The ball fell invitingly for Fife, but his volley sailed over the bar.

Just before the half hour though, Mick Robertson made a fine run on the left flank and fired in a cross low and hard. Supporting him on the right was Scott Stevenson, who brought the ball inside and picked his spot to put the visitors ahead.

Brocton reacted with the best passing move of their game so far as Charlie Jones found Dave Ablewhite and he swung the ball left to Dan Lomas. Lomas chipped the ball into the box and won the half clearance himself before striking just wide.

In this end to end game it was then substitute Craig Gregg’s turn to dart past the Brocton defensive line and go one on one with Barrett. Once again the keeper was equal to it as he tipped the shot over the bar. Almost on half time Barrett was needed to dive at Robertson’s feet to prevent a shot and Rob Tomlinson cleared off the line as the loose ball was hit at goal.

There was no let up in the second period and Fife had a headed chance cleared for a corner before Ablewhite produced a stunning shot under the corner of post and bar on 52 minutes to bring the Badgers level. The visitors’ lead was soon restored as Andy Thompson got clear on the right and Gregg volleyed in a pin point cross. A raking cross field ball from Ed Booth to Matt Skinner opened up the visiting defence and Lomas headed down the cross for Fife to tuck it away. 

With fifteen minutes to go Carl Morris got into the box and the stand in keeper for Wulfs dived at his feet as he shot. The keeper missed the ball and a penalty was awarded despite the shot going wide. The normally lethal Ablewhite could only see his effort saved and the game finished with honours even.


Brocton: Calum Barrett, Callum Rudd, Matt Skinner, Rob Tomlinson, Ed Booth,  Matt Dockerty, Carl Morris, Dave Ablewhite, Gary Fife, Charlie Jones, Dan Lomas

Used Substitute: Ben Harrison


On Saturday Brocton return to FA Cup action with a tough looking tie away to Sutton Coldfield Town 



blog comments powered by Disqus