Brocton take positives from defeat

Walsall Wood 3 - 1 Brocton

Last Updated: Aug 27, 2016 06:16pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Midland League Premier Division

Tuesday 23rd August 2016


Despite another defeat on the road in just three days, Brocton can take heart from a     stirring second half performance once understandable nerves had settled. The match began with Wood showing their customary high tempo and willingness to get the ball forward quickly. When lost, there was a similar willingness to crowd their opponents and try to win it back.

Brocton needed a little time and space to recover from their mauling at Chasetown on Saturday and it was the last thing in their hosts mind to give it to them. The ball was pinched in midfield on twelve minutes and quickly swept out to the left flank. An early cross from Nicholas Wright was a good one and Joey Butlin made a timely dart into the box to meet it and stroke it past Aidan Stone in Brocton’s goal.

When the process was repeated Butlin needed no such guile as the ball was challenged for ahead of him and attacker and defender alike simply failed to make contact. The ball bypassed them and fell to Butlin’s feet. He needed no second invitation to double his tally.

Brocton began to settle and a passing move first left and then right took them to the bye line where Wood’s Craig Deakin had a nibble at Michael Williams’ ankles, presenting Dave Berks with a free kick opportunity. His effort was on target but not disguised enough to fool Curtis Pond, Wood’s keeper, who dropped on it at his near post. The same three players were involved in much the same way moments later but this time Berks’ free kick was tame.

Jack Edwards produced a trade mark run and cross come shot next and pond gathered well, high at the far post. Then that combination between Williams and Berks paid dividends at last, this time in open play as Williams crossed low and hard and Berks placed himself well to tap the ball home. Wood restored their cushion though as the half closed when Wright shot straight at Stone, but Josh Wilson deflected it in.

That was it for the half and Brocton could be pleased to still be in the game. They also increased their tempo and Declan Green, on for Andy Davis, soon found himself with a headed chance, which he put over the bar. Charlie Jones and Josh D Wilson began to produce from midfield. But a Harry Harris free kick should have increased Wood’s lead when Wright to headed wide.

Green did everything but score when through, despite close attention from Shawn Boothe and the advance of Pond. He lifted the ball over the keeper and tried to follow it, but Boothe was too strong and held him off the ball and as Brocton pressed, Pond produced a flying save to keep out a Dan Lomas volley and hold on to the win.



blog comments powered by Disqus