Brocton win 5-4 on penalties

Les James Challenge Cup

Last Updated: Dec 23, 2013 03:29pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |


Brocton 3 Coventry Copsewood  3 (AET) Brocton won 5-4 on penalties


In blustery conditions Brocton began with the wind at their backs and had several early shots on target which gave them confidence going forward.

Albeit a mix up in the Badgers defence could have given Copsewood a goal start, but the ball was moved up quickly to Jethro Jarrett and he ran at the Copsewood defence and fired a shot from thirty yards which flew into the top of the Copsewood  net on 11 minutes.  Copsewood started to apply their own pressure on Brocton and their front runners  Danny Fraser  and Michael Bawden featured in several of their attacks supported by the experienced Petajon Gordon who was always shielding the ball well for others to feed onto. Jamie Evans and Dan Lomas combined well on the left and Evans took the ball cross field and was fouled at the edge of the penalty area, which enabled David Berks the opportunity to fire in a low free kick with the slightest of touches off Paul McMahon  to give Brocton a two goal lead on thirty minutes. This lead lasted for the remainder of the first half with Copsewood having attempts in and around the Brocton penalty area which came to nothing.

The second period started as the first and Brocton looked to be in control, and several opportunities resulted in frustration for the Brocton forwards including a one on one between McMahon and keeper Steve Furlong but the striker waited to long for support to arrive and shot directly at the keeper legs. As the wind started to gather pace so did the efforts from Copsewood including several long throws which unsettled the Brocton defence. Following a free kick on the edge of Brocton’s area Tom Murphy pick up the rebounding ball and fired past Whitehouse to peg the badgers back to 2-1 on eighty minutes.  The wind was getting stronger but so were Copsewood and they followed up with a second goal two minutes later through Mark Gormely. The game was end to end cup football with Gordon going close for the Coventry side and Bell just skimming the post on ninety minutes.

Extra time was played in a similar pattern to the previous 90 minutes with the teams taking advantage when they had the wind at their backs and following Brocton pressure Sam Beech scored his first senior goal from five yards to put Brocton in front again. The second period of extra time saw Berks and Jarett with good opportunities to kill off the game in Brocton’s favour but it was not to be as Copsewood gained confidence themselves to get the equaliser which eventually came from a long throw again into the Brocton Penalty area for Gordon to head past Whitehouse which sent the game into a penalty shoot- out.

After both keepers had made saves the shoot out went to sudden death and Brocton emerged as 5-4 winners thanks to successful spot kicks from Dave Berks, Adam Whitehouse, Levi Bailey, Jethro Jarrett & Sam Bell and so continue their defence of the Trophy they won at Walsall’s Banks’s Stadium last May.

Brocton - A Whitehouse, D Ablewight, J Evans, L Bailey, R Tomlinson, D Berks, C Jones, S Bell, D Lomas, J Jarrett, P McMahon,

Used Subs – R Allen, S Beech, A Bourne


blog comments powered by Disqus