Bromsgrove & District League Undefeated

Eight games played!!!

Last Updated: Jan 5, 2014 09:26pm
Harvington, Wychavon
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Happy New Year Folks! And it was certainly a Happy New Year for the 16 teams who were able to get their games on today as the 2014 action begun admist a raft of wet, damp but playable pitches.

Thank you to all clubs and match officials for arranging and carrying out early inspections where required.

In the Prem, Redditch Athletic have no doubt got the champagne corks popping tonight as they celebrate their first win of the league season, a 4-2 home one over Golden Lion Athletic. Jay the playboy Wright was the main man for them with a brace, one each for Dan Gaffney and Richard Tyler too. The win lifts Athletic off the bottom of the league dumping Meadow Park there instead, whose home fixture with Rubery Oak was postponed due to a waterlogged Stadia Brush.

Both planned games in Division 1 were successfully played; In a raft of 'midtable' action, Stoke Sporting picked up a welcome win over Belbroughton Athletic by a 3-2 scoreline, thanks to a brace from Corey Bennett and one from Shane Shallcross. Meanwhile over at the International Stadium of Charford, Spa Athletic chalked up a 1-0 away win against out of form Sporting Grapevine who were this week rocked by the resignation of the legend 'Ken' from their backroom team. Spa's John Billington was left unmarked from a corner and the all-action midfielder needed no second invitation to plant a header into the net for the only goal.

In Division 2, a few games called off for waterlogged pitches and Churchfields United were unable to field a team against FC Rednal, so it was left to Bromsgrove United and Lickey End Social to chalk up wins, 4-1 over Callowbrook Swifts and 3-1 over Studley Road Social respectively. In the Bromsgrove game, the Bees were rusty early doors and Callowbrook nearly took the lead but a long range drive struck the woodwork. Talisman Brad Bullimore came to the Bees rescue though and his first half brace gave them a 2-0 cushion at the interval. Callowbrook's luck was really not there today as an OG then gave the Bees their third, before Callowbrook did pull one back from the penalty spot. Paul Carter then restored the Bees lead to 4-1 before needlessly getting himself sent off after a petty altercation, an action that will result in a 3 game ban. We do not have any details from the Studley Road Social v Lickey End Social match, but a win for Lickey keeps them in touch with the top pack with games in hand too.

In Division 3, just one game survived the weather and all credit to Toby Jug for sorting out an additional pitch as Silver Street was totally unplayable; Their efforts paid off though in a 4-1 win over Belbroughton Athletic Reserves. Connor Collins is proving a revelation since signing for the club and grabbed another hat-trick, the pick of his goals coming after a fine Jug move involving incisive one touch passing. Dave Tudor Price got the other goal after JJ Evans pinged a 35 yard crossfield pass straight to him. Belbroughton had their chances, one converted by Mr Austin, but Jack Hayward in the Jug goal was equal to everything else. Jay Nickless got the Jug man of the match award for a fine display. Jug move into second place and ominously for leaders Stoke Prior, have 5 games in hand. However with the sides meeting next Sunday, it's all to play for and a Stoke Prior win would serve to increase the pressure on Jug who are still involved with (and expected to progress in) outside cup competitions.

Two other cup games complete this weeks round up; A dead rubber game in LMS Shield Group C saw West Heath United return after their Xmas shutdown to beat AFC Northfield 6-2, after racing into a 3-0 lead inside the first 20 minutes. Dane Morgan and Jason Gibbons with braces, one each for Joe Stewart and Ash Tullett. Mickey Stewart and the prolific Sam Chilton got the AFCN goals. Finally in the WA Harris Cup Round 2, Victoria Barnt Green faced off against Rubery Social Allstars in a real Prem heavyweights clash and came away with a 3-1 win. Shaun May got two (one a penalty, footage of which can be seen on the club's Facebook page) and Dan Wilkes the other. Lloyd Newman with the Allstars goal. The win sets the Vic up nicely for next week's semi-final against unbeaten Division 1 side Hare and Hounds which has all the ingredients to be the game of the season with huge reputations at stake.

Who knows what the weather will do next week, but with an array of interesting games in all competitions, internal and external, let's hope we get the games played. Aside of important games for Vic, H/H, Toby Jug and Stoke Prior, we have an equally anticipated semi-final game at Boleyn Road where FC Rednal play AFC Millfields. A bit of rivalry has developed between the two sides and both will be desperate to make their first ever cup final. In conclusion if you aren't playeing next week, get out and about to watch some of the action, we are sure you won't be disappointed! 


Victoria Barnt Green 3 (May 2, Wilkes), Rubery Social Allstars 1 (Newman)


West Heath United 6 (Morgan 2, Gibbons 2, Stewart, Tullett), AFC Northfield (Stewart, Chilton)


Redditch Athletic 4 (Wright 2, Gaffney, Tyler), Golden Lion Athletic 2


Sporting Grapevine 0, Spa Athletic 1

Stoke Sporting 3 (Bennett 2, Shallcross), Belbroughton Athletic 2   


Bromsgrove United 4 (Bullimore 2, Carter, OG), Callowbrook Swifts 1

Studley Road Social 1, Lickey End Social 3


Toby Jug Athletic 4 (COLLINS 3, Price), Belbroughton Athletic Reserves 1 (Austin)


blog comments powered by Disqus