Bromsgrove Football League Week 5 Report

Your exclusive weekly read on the League!

Last Updated: Sep 13, 2013 08:53am
Catshill and North Marlbrook, Bromsgrove
By Bromsgrove League
Share |

Following on from this article,


Here is the formal 'Sunday Report', which is always available on our website by 9pm on a Sunday evening.

18 out of the 19 planned fixtures got successfully played this morning after another torrid week of pitch issues, including a further act of vandalism causing the needless postponement of one of our games - Something we can ill afford whilst the weather is decent! 

The matter is now in the hands of the police for further investigation and we move on.

Result of the day was Victoria Barnt Green's 8-0 drubbing of Court Leet Dons which maintains their 100% win start but the problems pile up for the Dons who astonishingly find themselves at the foot of the table with a -12 goal difference after just two games; Even last season, the 'marquee' fixture in the Premier was a Vic v Dons humdinger but those days seem light years away right now. Take nothing away from the Vic who dominated the game as the scoreline suggests, but the Dons gave away some very bad goals, only had a couple of shots on goal and had 5 cautions as their frustrations reached boiling point. Shaun May with a hat-trick, two for Pete Jenvey and one each for James Wells, Joe Mayo and Richard Bishop showed the Vic's range of firepower. The Vic will have to be wary of some of the chasing pack though, none more so than 9-man Rubery Oak who returned from a 3 week break to get maximum precious points at home to Meadow Park with a 2-1 victory. Oak received a pre-match blow when their beast of a keeper, James Carne, pulled up during the warm up leaving the pint sized Sam Varney to step in between the sticks. Oak started off the better side, knocking the ball round nicely and working hard for each other. Oak went 1-0 up when Nathan Eaton and James Parker played interchange football leaving James Parker to square the ball across the box for Joshua Fergusson to slide home. Oak kept applying the pressure but just couldn't manage to find another goal with chance after chance going begging. Luke Davies then stepped up with a 25 yard thunderbolt into the top left hand corner, leaving Andy Yarnold clutching thin air, to double the lead. Martin Johnston, later to be one of two Oak players dismissed for foul/abusive language, then hit the crossbar with a 20 yard strike. Into the second half and Meadow Park started knocking the ball round nicely and were rewarded with a penalty after a tumble in the box, but this was missed. After the first red card, Oak then astonishingly had another player dismissed for exactly the same reason, Nick Wilson the man joining his team mate for an early shower. Meadow Park then piled on the pressure and managed to grab a goal back through Tommy Clarkson. It wasn't enough though and Oak held onto win, with James Parker nearly hitting a sublime third with a 40 yard lob.


Rubery Social Allstars continued their good start to the season, with a 2-1 home win over Golden Lion Athletic who are yet to pick up a win this season. Goals from Alan Beech and Mr Connolly proving decisive whilst West Heath United bounced back from last weeks disappointing result by winning 6-1 at Redditch Athletic. Dane Morgan the summer signing from Alvechurch Lions the hat-trick hero, with strikes by Jason Gibbons, Ash Tullett and Josh Westwood helping to boost the goal difference. Vic are the team to catch without a doubt, but Oak, Allstars, Redditch and West Heath will all be pushing mighty hard on current evidence.


Only the one game in Division 1 to pick up on, thanks to the vandals for causing Crabmill v Rubery to be called off and Stoke Sporting beat Spa Athletic for the second successive week to continue to their recent good run of form. Quiet midfielder Peter Warman at the double with one for Corey Bennett. For Spa, it's all gone a little bit pear shaped in the past two weeks and they'll be looking to get back on track quickly.


In cup action, a comprehensive win for Hare and Hounds 2013 over Frankley, biffing 9 past the B45-ers in their MG Sportswear Division 1 Cup Quarter-Final tie. Luke Dugmore took the majority of the praise for 4 goals, but Hounds score from every position and Adam Pillinger, David Glaze, Elliott Cody, Ian Hickey and Stuart Eades chipped in with a strike each. Frankley legend Karl Smith got his sides only goal. In LMS Shield group game action, Redditch United also put 9 goals in, this time Santiago RV being on the receiving end. Enigmatic Nick Briggs got a hat-trick, Jay Gifford a brace and one each for Lee Fearon, Gav Forbes, James Browning and Ben 'Usain' Briggs. Sporting Grapevine's hopes of progressing from their group were dealt a fatal blow as they lost their crunch game with AFC Northfield 3-1. Matt Carter at the double for the second week running and ex Northwich Victoria striker Sam Chilton grabbing the other.

In the Rose Bowl, Longbridge Athletic stopped a run of 3 successive defeats with a convincing 5-0 victory over Stoke Prior, this achieved without being able to name any subs. The opener came when skipper Chris Jones's slide rule pass put Ryan Osborne clear and he cooly finished. 1-0 half-time. Into the second period and Jones was at it again, setting up Shane Heath for his first. Longbridge right winger Ashley Madden then scored a stunning solo effort from 35 yards to put daylight between the two sides. Heath grabbed another (his 9th goal in 5 games) and then when on a clear hat-trick, unselfishly squared the ball for his brother and Longbridge secretary Will Heath to crash home into the roof of the net.

AFC Millfields had a tough game against Callowbrook Swifts in the Bridgwater Cup Second Round but booked their quarter-final place with a 1-0 win thanks to Arron Hadley's goal. In the WA Harris Cup, Belbroughton Athletic saw off last seasons semi-finalists, North Colts United, with a thrilling 5-3 extra time win, this after the teams couldn't be broken at 2-2 on 90 minutes. James Fields put the home side ahead but Josh Moore powered home a 20 yard free kick on 70 minutes to equalise. Michael Teji's strike had put the visitors in the driving seat at 1-2, but after a long throw from Alex Brandwood with 5 minutes left on the clock, an own goal was scored which took the tie into overtime. This gave Belbroughton some much needed momentum and Jake Hill's brace coupled with Sam Taylor's 20 yard drive gave the home side an extra-time win and Moore's second goal was little more than a consolation at the end.

Next week's fixture list contains another array of interesting games. Hare and Hounds 2013 against Rubery Social Allstars could be one to tighten your seatbelt on and it will be interesting to see how West Heath tackle the Vic game as the last time the sides met, Vic had a really hard game. Check back next week for the exclusive views of our reporters!


blog comments powered by Disqus