Bromsgrove League Sunday report

19th January 2014

Last Updated: Jan 20, 2014 05:18pm
West, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Another soggy week in the Bromsgrove and District area, but another Sunday of playing football as is usually the case in the BDFL! 

Ten games played today and the dreams and aspirations of many came true, but for others tears and the bus fare home were all they had to show for the morning's work.

Outside cups first today and we had a successful morning in the Kidderminster Hospital Cup. Firstly Victoria Barnt Green Reserves saw off Withymoor North from the Kidderminster League with a 3-1 victory in one of two games which took place at Droitwich Leisure Centre. Vic got off to a flyer, Dan Hobbis netting inside the first minute. Withymoor equalised after a goalmouth scramble but Vic regained the lead towards half-time when Nick Hobbis danced his way through the away backline to shoot into the corner of the net. Vic dominated the second half and got another goal when Dan Hobbis squared to Paul Badger who bundled the ball home. Quarter-Finals next for Vic and a real chance of going further too! Meanwhile, Toby Jug are into Round 3 as well as they tore apart Brinton Arms 9-0 with a thoroughly dominant and convincing display. Connor Collins nabbed four, Tom Gardner-Bennett a brace, one each for JJ Evans, Jay Nickless and Shaun Macaughey. Toby now face Marlpool Olympic in the next round on February 16th and they must start as favourites in this game.

In the WFA County Cup and a game bought forward a week and moved to Studley 3G, Lickey End Social agonizingly crashed out losing a 9 goal thriller to Drakes Broughton Rangers from the Worcester League. Sam Wright's hat-trick was in vain, with Joe Buckley also netting. Lickey End are left to concentrate on their Bridgwater Cup Semi-Final against Laburnum and a promotion campaign in Division 2.

In Internal cup action, rumours are that the general public are still trying to locate Bromsgrove United managers Phil Eves and Suki Purewal last seen floating on air above Charford International, after their Bees side made an astonishing comeback to reach the Centenary Cup Final, defeating North Colts United in the semi-final after a game which had everything and was simply a superb advert for the league between two good sides. North Colts bossed the game early doors and went into the interval two goals to the good, adding a third soon after the break. With 10 minutes left, those goals scored by Portugese playboy Jake Thomas, Aaron Westwood and Josh Moore looked to have booked Colts place in the final, but then the comeback begun as North Colts lived to regret the changes they made. Brad Bullimore and Dan Lawrence got two in a minute to pull it back to 3-2, then Jamie Banks took the game into extra-time. Lawrence was fouled inside the box for a penalty, Bullimore converted for 4-3, but North Colts came storming back and a wonderful solo goal from Moore made it 4-4 as the spectators were left wondering whatever next. Penalties was the final outcome though and the Bees hero was goalkeeper Mark Bagley who saved 2 penalties in the shoot out to send his team into their first ever final. Congratulations to Phil and Suki, let us know when you've landed back at earth!

Premier Cup Quarter-Final action also took place at Charford International and it was Redditch United, playing their first game in some 6 weeks, who won through to the semi-finals with a 5-1 victory over West Heath. Jamie Hatfield with a brace, one each for Matt Fearon, Jay Gifford and Jak Allbutt. Redditch now face Vic Barnt Green in the semi-final, with the game set to be played in three weeks time.

In League action, the games in the Prem and Division 2 were wiped out which left Division 1 and Division 3 to rule the roost. In Division 1, Belbroughton Athletic gave Rubery Athletic a good roasting in the first half and went into the break 4-0 up, which ended up being the final result. Chris Mitchell and Connor Gater opened the scoring, before recent new signng Kyle Frater got a brace to give them an unassailable lead. Rubery missed a penalty at 3-0, great save by Tom Calvert and after that, they probably knew it wasn't to be their day. Santiago RV, another team who hadn't kicked a ball in anger for some time, had a fine 2-1 win over Stoke Sporting. Ben Makrell and Jack Trow the Santiago heros, whilst Shane Shallcross got the Sporting goal. AFC Northfield stay second behind Hare and Hounds with a fine 3-2 away win at Spa Athletic. Mickey Stewart grabbed two goals to put the visitors in the driving seat. Luke Rainbow and Mitchell Parrish when bought the home side level before Stewart completed his hat-trick to bag the points, with the minutes ticking away on the referee's watch.

Into Division 3 and a third win of the campaign for Coldfield pulled them off the bottom of the table, this time a 5-3 win over Belbroughton Athletic Reserves. Kyle Hindley's elegant chip got the goalscoring underway for Coldfield before the home side equalised from the spot for 1-1 at the break. Into the second half and Coldfield fell 2-1 behind through a well taken edge of the box strike. The ding-dong continued when Coldfield debutant Andy Burne hit a lovely free kick to Hindley who flicked it on for a back post tap in by Dave Lewis. After 2-2 for ages, a poor home defensive clearance fell to Andy Burne on the edge of the box, to score with a well controlled bottom corner volley before Belbroughton hit back again a minute later for 3-3. It was left to Coldfield talisman, Chris Adams, to hit two late goals to take the points back to Redditch. With Coldfield winning, poor old Red Lions find themselves back at the bottom of the table, after Longbridge gave them a going over in the Rubery Park mud, by a 5-0 scoreline, a game which amazed everyone by being played. Longbridge have had a mixed season and feel like they have a point to prove and they came out all guns blazing today hammering the Lions backline from the off. Will Heath hit a 20 yard curler to open the scoring before brother Shane repeated the dose to double the lead as he hit a long range effort. Shane Heath then turned on the style, back heeling a lovely weighted pass that Luke Bridson galloped onto and fired home for 3-0. The second half started with Lions having a spell of their own but they couldn't contain the strong running of Shane Heath and he scored again soon after, seering pace seeing him leave the Lions backline for dead and slotting home. Michael Butler put the icing on the cake with a fifth when he rifled home a 30 yard free kick, only helped into the net by the Lions netminder and a Klinsmann style celebration was enjoyed by the home support. On this form, Longbridge are a match for anyone but they must be more consistent.

Exciting games next week none more so when Redditch United take on Redditch League giants Black Horse in the County Premier Cup Semi-Final - We wish Redditch the very best of luck and it would be tremendous if they could do it especially with ex Black player Nick Briggs in their ranks - Redditch are in better shape than they ever have been, so here's willing Jim Nicholls and this team to victory, which we will report back on next week win or lose!


blog comments powered by Disqus