Chesterfield 10 – 47 Mansfield

Mansfield take advantage of troubled Derbyshire side

Last Updated: Feb 16, 2017 08:37pm
Oak Tree, Mansfield
By Mansfield Sports Reporter
Share |

On a cold bitter day at the edge of the peak district Mansfield battled against Chesterfield as well as the elements, playing against a side shorn of a number of first team players and came away having scored seven tries and acquired the maximum 5 league points on offer.

Coach Wayne Robinson was naturally upbeat, “The conditions were awful for both sides but I’m pleased with the way we took our chances and this sets us up nicely for Grimsby next week”. 

To their credit the Derbyshire outfit, made up mostly of second and third team players, were outstanding in the way they stuck to the task, contested aggressively at the breakdown and score two excellent tries of their own. 

Both sides jockeyed well for supremacy early on but when the ball found its way to Joe Ducker after ten minutes, playing in his preferred position of Centre, he carved his way through four would be tacklers to score just wide of the posts. Ryan Haywood slotted the conversion taking his side to a 7 nil lead.  

It didn’t take long before the visitors were able to feed their hungry Centre once more and this time Ducker found a big hole in the middle of the park to dot down under the posts. Haywood converted again to make the score board read 14 nil. 

However, as the first quarter closed the Chesterfield pack, who more than held their own all afternoon, managed to fashion a well worked try through several forward drives bringing the score to 5-14. 

More great work from the blue & whites forwards created a hole for the evergreen Prop Liam Grant who showed a clean pair of heals for the last 15 metres to claim his first score of the season extending the lead to 21-5 after 35 minutes. This remained the score until half time. 

The home drew first blood after 12 minutes played of the second half as they harried and hassled a desperate defence to produce a kick ahead and pounce on the loose ball to claim their second try and bringing the score to 21-10. 

Despite what looked like a resurgent performance from the home side, their spirit was dented somewhat as Mark Wallace thundered his way through for the bonus point try converted by Haywood and effectively putting the visitors out of sight at 28-10. 

Just three minutes later Joe Ducker claimed his hat trick with the Try of the game. Gathering the ball on the half way line he then stepped and handed off powering his way through half a dozen tackles to score just wide of the posts making the conversion easy for Haywood .The score was now 35-20. 

Two more tries followed, with one coming from youngster Jack Hodkin who squeezed his way into the corner and the final score came from the industrious Pat Johnson who burrowed his way through the forward pack to emerge with the ball and the five points bringing the final score to 47-10.  

In difficult conditions both on and off the pitch, the home side came away with the hard earned respect of their opposition, and for their part, Mansfield were able to cement their league potion and look forward to welcoming Grimsby next week at Eakring Road. 

The kick off is 2:15pm and you can follow the action on Twitter, @MansfieldRugby.


blog comments powered by Disqus