Colts crash out of National Cup

Weekend results from ERFC Junior Section

Last Updated: Nov 27, 2013 04:47pm
Evesham, Wychavon
By Ben Salcedo
Share |

Evesham crashed out of the U18 National Colts in Round 3 with a disappointing home defeat to Lichfield. It is fair to say that the home-side snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, losing 29-30 in a tense finish at the Avon-side club.

Evesham started well enough, after soaking up some early pressure from the visitors they turned on the style and played some really good rugby for 20 minutes. They totally dominated the set-piece and won clean ball from lineout and scrum. Half-backs, Jack Witts and Ash Charlton controlled the game well and Evesham went through the phases on several occasions. The pressure told and they scored two good tries, the first came from a driving maul which sucked in the Lichfield defence before it was spread wide through the hands for full-back Jamie Colls to finish in the corner. The second came from a shortened 5-man lineout which was well worked for Captain Connor Greatrix to peel off and sprint through the defence to score under the posts. Mike Harris made both conversions to give Evesham a commanding 14-0 lead. This proved to be their high point in the game as they collectively relaxed and let Lichfield back in through sloppy defensive work. The visitors took their chances well and hit-back with two unconverted tries to trail 14-10 at the break.
The second-half was a constant story of Evesham gaining control and then letting it slip through poor decision making and poor tackling. Evesham extended their lead early on when No.8 Harris took the ball into contact 15m out from Lichfield’s line. It was recycled quickly and Charlton darted through a gap in the defence to score. Harris missed what turned out to be a crucial conversion and Greatrix was unlucky not to score a second try as he was held up over the line following a good break by Ash Icke. Lichfield scored another unconverted try as Evesham sat back in defence. Wilf Watson then showed his class with a storming run down the right wing to score, Harris made the conversion and Evesham were back in control at 26-15. The home side should have closed the game out, but again they relaxed. To their credit Lichfield kept attacking hard but they were helped as Evesham continually gave the ball back to them, they kicked it away too often and lost control of the lineout. The visitors seized the momentum and reduced their deficit with a converted try. Harris gave Evesham some respite with a penalty kick but it was short lived. The home side were unable to tighten up their defence and let Lichfield through again to score another unconverted try. With Evesham under pressure and only two points ahead they again failed to close the game out. A poor clearing kick, when perhaps they should have held onto the ball, gave Lichfield an attacking lineout with less than a minute to play. The visitors won a penalty and their outside half was cool enough under pressure to make the kick and take the game by a single point.
In a game where Evesham lacked commitment in the tackle Fred Hopper was a rare beacon of light. His industry in defence was exemplary and won him the Man-of-the-Match award. Evesham now go into the Plate competition and will need to find better consistency in their play if they are to progress.

Impressive home win against Bromsgrove

by Phil Harvey

U15s straight back to winning ways!

The Claret & Blues were back to their winning ways with an emphatic win over a good, strong Bromsgrove fifteen. A try by Josh Hartland and penalties converted by Man of the match James Thompson saw the home team ahead at half time.
The second half was more of the same with Evesham camped in the visitors’ half. Excellent defending tackles from,Ashley Allchurch and Ed Howlett snuffed out another score from the visitors.
Connor Armento and Jonathan Deakinoutside of James Thompson ensured the visitors had little joy - and little prospects - for Bromsgrove's backs. A crunching tackle from Connor in the first minute signalled Evesham's defensive resolve.
This was reflected in the final score with Bromsgrove scoring seven points for their efforts.
The forwards were immense - presenting 'silver platter' ball for scrum-halfs Archie Biltcliffe and Glen Harvey
Three more tries followed from Jonathan DeakinJosh Hartland (from close in) and, in the dying moments from Kieran Raymer for his first after 3 very close attempts - but his ninth in seven games!
This win was carved out of a rock solid forward performance and should not detract from a Bromsgrove side that are physically strong, organised and committed - and they all played the game in the spirit it should be played. Our thanks to them and their coaching team for a well attended and well fought contest.
Report by: Duncan Webster

Derby Day Delight for Evesham U9s

by David Snell

Evesham under 9s ran out comfortable winners against local rivals Pershore.

The hosts showed good spirit in the face of constant pressure from an ever improving Evesham side whose dominance was reflected in preventing Pershore from scoring any tries.
Evesham Tigers were first up and were quickly into their stride as the impressive Abi Lacy showed good strength and skill to breech the Pershore line for the first of 12 unanswered tries. Toby Lungley soon joined her on the scoresheet with a characteristic jinking run before Will Farr snaked his way through from inside his own half. Owen Bates, who had a storming game in attack and defence, grabbed himself a brace. The marauding Laurie Checkley matched him before Lacy and Lungley grabbed their seconds. Evesham began to score at will and Ed Cook, Dan Lee and beautiful try from Milly Hyett completed the scoring. Man of the Match was Owen Bates
Evesham Lions entered the fray after chomping at the bit to get started. Pershore again but up some stout defence to begin with and threatened the Evesham line early on. A bullocking run from Barney Guy relieved the pressure and Freddie Sharp capitalized with a try. Guy himself grabbed the next before Miller Willis grabbed the first of his two tries in the game. A length of the pitch effort from the unstoppable Tommy Boorman preceded Willis getting his second and the final try of the half. Pershore had played 3 tough halves of rugby and the game was finished there with 5-0 being the final outcome. Man of the Match Barney Guy
Evesham will be expecting a stern test with the visit of Old Halesonians next week who gave them some competitive games last season.

A triumph for the U8 squad!

by Nicky Robbins

The under 8's played away at Redditch. Playing two matches and winning two. Well done boys!

The under 8's squad played away at Redditch, on our first bitterly cold morning of the season! The squad split into two teams and swapped out during each half time. They played and won two matches. Well done!
Both teams played really well and all players were very supportive. There were great runs from Ollie Appleby, Ollie Dishart, Nick Bell, Harry Wycherley, Cameron Brydon, Jonty Flaxman, Joshua Neal and Ethan Corbett. With super tagging from Cameron Robbins, Anton De Vos, Felix Hyett, Luke Tegg, Harvey Garrett and Luke Drayton.
The following made up our two teams today (tries scored):
Team 1
Luke Tegg
Felix Hyett
Jonty Flaxman (1)
Harry Wycherley (5)
Joshua Neal (2)
Luke Drayton
Harvey Garrett
Team 2
Cameron Brydon (3)
Cameron Robbins 
Nick Bell (1)
Anton De Vos
Ethan Corbett (3)
Ollie Appleby (1)
Ollie Dishart (1)
Match results:
Match 1
Evesham 9 v Redditch 5
Match 2
Evesham 8 v Redditch 5




blog comments powered by Disqus