Colts make Round 3 of U18 Colts Cup

ERFC Junior Round Up

Last Updated: Oct 21, 2013 07:02pm
Evesham, Wychavon
By Ben Salcedo & Ben Harvey
Share |

Evesham Colts won through to Round 3 of the Under 18 National Colts Cup with a well earned victory away at Willenhall in Staffordshire.

The visitors kept their composure to win 23-31, despite missing several players from their usual squad.
With a strong diagonal cross-wind and a slight slope in their favour for the first-half Willenhall started strongly. They pounced on two uncharacteristic Evesham mistakes in the first five minutes to score two quick tries, one was converted for a 12-0 lead. Evesham rallied, inspired by an Ash Icke turnover which ultimately led to a chance for Scott Fairfax in the corner, he lost the ball in the tackle but Evesham kept the pressure on the Willenhall line for several minutes. Eventually Adam Johnson thundered into contact from a tap penalty, he presented the ball quickly for captain Connor Greatrix to take on at pace and smash over the line. Mike Harris made the conversion but Evesham’s good work was soon undone as Willenhall countered through a series of strong runs and off-loads. Evesham’s tackling was found a bit wanting as the home side added an unconverted try and a penalty goal to their points tally. However, Evesham were the more organised side at the breakdown, forcing Willenhall to concede several penalties which culminated in them losing a player to the sin-bin. The visitor’s took immediate advantage, quickly spreading the ball wide for Wilf Watson to score in the corner, Harris converted impressively reducing the deficit to 20-14 at the break.
Early in the second-half Evesham sussed out the conditions and realised that, with the wind in their favour, they could keep the opposition pinned in their own half. The game plan was executed to perfection by half-backs Ash Charlton and Harris. Harris in particular was outstanding kicking from hand, his powerful and accurate right boot earned him the Man-of-the-Match award and, more importantly, Evesham the game. The territorial advantage gave Evesham an excellent platform to attack from, they perhaps could have been more clinical but did enough to win despite a really spirited performance by Willenhall who fought hard for everything. Evesham’s third try was possibly the best of the game as a planned move from a shortened lineout saw Martin Di Franco crash over to cap a fine performance by the hooker. As per the first-half the penalty count was in Evesham’s favour. Harris missed a couple of long range efforts at goal in the tricky conditions but did slot one to counter Willenhall’s only points of the second period, giving Evesham a 23-24 lead with 8 minutes to play. Evesham’s victory was sealed by Icke who burst through the defence from close range after Charlton took a quick tap penalty. Harris, with his kicking boots welded on, made the conversion. Willenhall didn’t give in and nearly broke through on the right wing but a superb cover tackle by Henry Hopper ended their hopes of a comeback.
Evesham scrummaged well enough and, after initial problems, got their lineout going with Alex Tarplee jumping well at 4. Iain Stoddart excelled in the back row with several good tackles, ably supported by the dynamic Josh Perry and typically solid Fred Hopper. Substitute Kieron Nicholls proved his worth to the team coming off the bench to provide cover at both prop and second row. In the backs it was good to see centres Icke and Watson more involved in the game, although there is surely more to come from this pair as an attacking force this season. Jamie Colls debuted for the Colts at full-back but had little work to do to show his skills.
The Colts entertain Stow next weekend in an Under 18 friendly fixture at home, which will be a welcome relief following four consecutive away games.

Another six try victory!

Evesham U15s made it three-wins-from-three this week defeating Old Coventrian

Truly a game of two halves, by half-time Evesham had all but won this game. With the Evesham backs running riot - the Coventry defensive line collapsed. Three sparkling tries from Ryan Scarrott, another two from close in by Kieran Raymer, and then on half-time Jonathan Deakin off loads the ball at pace to full backArchie Webster to cut inside and score under the posts for their sixth. All very simple.
The second half was different; Coventry woke up and scored two more tries whilst Evesham perhaps thought the game was already over? In a forwards’ war of attrition both teams saw their mettle tested to the limit, Evesham though, stopped leaking tries. No mean feat considering Old Coventrians were looking to go three matches unbeaten themselves.
Coventrians earlier match results were:
22/09/2013 Shipston H W 49-5
29/09/2013 Stratford A L 14-24
06/10/2013 Alcester H W 29-15
13/10/2013 Harbury A W 38-0
For an outstanding performance in the second half Giovani Capaldi was named man of the match. Well done.


Under 8s Alcester v Evesham

The under 8's squad played away at Alcester, on a thankfully dry morning!

The squad split into two teams. Winning one match, losing one and drawing another.
Both teams played well, with Ethan Corbett, Luke Tegg and Cameron Brydon making several fantastic runs. Cameron's was despite a few in-match injuries.
The whole team pulled together and played well, whilst taking away some valuable ideas for areas that need improvement. They're all coming on really well.
The following made up our two teams today (tries scored):
Harry Downing
Anton De Vos 
Cameron Brydon (6)
Cameron Robbins 
Joshua Neal (2)
Ethan Corbett (4)
Jake Kinnersley (1)
Luke Jones (1)
Luke Tegg (5)
Luke Drayton (2)
Harvey Garrett
Sarah Lee

Match results:
Match 1: Evesham 5 v Alcester 5
Match 2: Evesham 8 v Alcester 6
Match 3: Evesham 8 v Alcester 8



blog comments powered by Disqus