Continental Star 0 - 2 Brocton

Midland Football League Premier Division

Last Updated: Dec 7, 2015 07:02pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

The slope of the ground and the blustery wind did not give either side a chance to play football and most of the game was a dogged battle for vital points to climb away from the lower reaches of the Premier Division table.

With the wind at their backs and the slope in their favour Brocton had most of the first half action but most of the play was poorly controlled which meant that the ball finished out of play most of the time. Debutant Pierce Kiembi was a lively addition to Brocton’s forward line in the early stages however he found it difficult to link up play with Gary Fife and Sam Bell. Continental Star worked hard in defence to contain Brocton’s constant attacks which in several instances ended with over -run balls or deflections out for a corner. Fife engineered a position on 16 minutes but put his shot wide. Several corner kicks ensued and Ed Booth headed over on 28 minutes but was on hand to slot home at the next corner giving keeper Jordon Ellis no chance on 34 minutes for Brocton’s first goal. Continental had a few rare sorties up field mainly through the hard running of full back Darren Green, but most were cut out by the firm defending of Brocton’s back line. Bell got clear of the Continental defence on 35 minutes but was foiled by the legs of keeper Ellis. Shaun Kinsella had the best chance of the half, following a good combination move involving Josh Wilson, Fife and Bell, but again Ellis saved the day for the home side by using his body to deflect the ball away. The half ended with Brocton wondering if they would rue their missed chances, when conditions were in their favour. 

The second half started as expected with Continental throwing men forward in an attempt to get an early equaliser but the centre backs of Booth, Matt Dockerty and Kenny Devoir held firm. Charlie Jones worked hard in mid field and was on hand to break up many of the Continental attacks aimed through the centre of the pitch. The game was not a pretty affair with both sides expecting their players to compete in their own personal battles. Continental won a corner but this was cleanly taken by Callum Barratt. Bell was the spearhead of most Brocton attacks with Kinsella bringing the ball forward, as Brocton grew in confidence in this second period, although Frank Hazell and Abdul Shodeinde stood firm and were not prepared to be muscled out by the strong running of Bell. Manager Berks brought on Dan Lomas for Kiembi after 65 minutes in an attempt to strengthen the midfield and shortly afterwards Paul McMahon for Fife to give fresh legs to the forward line. Both players settled quickly into their roles and the game started to swing again in Brocton’s favour as several attacks were mounted and Continental defenders were being stretched and their own attacks were broken up in mid-field. Continental had a free kick just out- side the penalty area taken by Rhys Hoyte but easily saved by Barrett in the Brocton goal. Brocton carried out their own controlled attacks and with Bell a constant threat was brought down just outside the penalty area by Hazell who was cautioned and from the resultant free kick taken by Kinsella, he fired in a shot which struck the upright and McMahon was on hand to head in Brocton’s second goal on 79 minutes. The tension eased in Brocton’s play and they were looking for a third which nearly came in the 88 minute following good work by Bell again on the right and he had a good opportunity to pass to McMahon who had made good ground in the centre but Bell decided to shoot himself but only hit the side netting. Continental pressed at the end but Brocton had won the day and had deserved their win.


blog comments powered by Disqus