Coventrians Bag First Win of the Season

Coventrians 1st XV 28 – 0 Atherstone 1st XV

Last Updated: Jan 14, 2015 09:26am
Atherstone, North Warwickshire
By Julie Douglas
Share |

Injury, illness and player availability gave captain Phil Mulvey, side-lined himself due to injury, a major selection headache prior to this crucial match against Coventrians.  The inability to field a consistent side has had a significant impact on the men in black getting into their stride particularly when travelling away as was the case in Saturday’s game.  

From the outset it was clear that Coventrians were determined to bag their first win of the season taking the game deep into Atherstone territory forcing their visitors to defend vigorously.  An early penalty gave the home side the opportunity to work the ball towards the try line however excellent defence ensured that although the whitewash was crossed the ball was not grounded.  In response Atherstone launched an attack with Tom Aherne chasing down a loose ball.  Unfortunately his kick ahead went over the dead ball line.  With twenty minutes played, Coventrians were awarded a penalty.  With the wind in their favour they selected to kick to the posts and successfully scored three points.  This was followed up with another successful penalty eight minutes later. The first half closed with the score at 6-0.

Initially in the battle of the forwards Coventrians had the upper hand however changes to the front row enabled Atherstone to contest scrums more effectively creating an attacking platform however the home side defended effectively to keep the men in black at bay. A lineout just inside Atherstone’s 22 saw the home side work the ball across the pitch capitalising on an overlap to cross for an unconverted try.  Andy Redman had an opportunity to open his side’s account with a penalty kick however the blustery conditions saw the ball go wide of the posts.

Two successive sin-bins for Coventrians gave Atherstone a two man advantage however they were unable to capitalise on the advantage with the clinical finish to attacks evading them.  Despite putting tremendous pressure on their opponents, Atherstone were met with a determined defence keeping them at bay.  With eighteen minutes of the match remaining the score sat at 11-0. Frustration saw Atherstone begin to make errors in both attack and defence.  The home side exploited a defensive error to cross for their second try of the match which went unconverted.

Not content with the win, it was clear Coventrians had their eye on a bonus point as they launched a barrage of attacks keeping their visitors camped in their half depriving them of possession and territory.  With the clock ticking the homes sided added their third try opting not to take the conversion in search of the try scoring bonus.  Good running and linking play saw Coventrians cross for the fourth time much to the elation of their supporters.  A drop kick added the extras to give them the win 28-0.

Speaking post match, Mulvey encouraged his players to put this result behind them as a ‘bad day at the office’ and focus on their next league match at home against Cov Welsh on Saturday 17th January.

Photo: File pic


blog comments powered by Disqus