Coventry Sphinx 0 - 3 Brocton

Midlands Football League Results

Last Updated: Mar 9, 2016 09:26pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

A perfect evening for football saw both sides show attacking intent. Sphinx closed down quickly and forced an early mistake only for Lewis Rankin to see his shot deflected out for a corner. Brocton were soon in the action as Jack Edwards overlapped and his shot deflected to keeper Steve Brook. The visitors began to get on top and a free kick from Dave Berks was met with a firm, but wayward under pressure, header by Ed Booth,

It was a warning for the home side but there was little they could do to stop a neat interchange between Dan Lomas, Berks and Paul McMahon., whose cross once again was blocked for a corner. Brooks was soon needed again as he did well to collect a Matt Dean cross from the right as Brocton arrived in numbers at the heart of Sphinx’s box.

A dipping shot from Adam Bilic brought a tip over from Calum Barrett as Bilic advanced through the middle as Sphinx reminded their visitors that there was a match on. Then, as Brocton attempted to work their way back, Matt Hardiman turned his ankle and had to be stretchered off with Dave Ablewhite finding himself as an early replacement. 

Edwards continued to get joy on the left and one overlap and cross followed another as Brook collected a shot from the first and the second was cut out. McMahon volleyed a Lomas lob but Brook had placed himself superbly and made the save look easy and he did even better with McMahon’s next fierce shot. It was bound for goal but Ed Booth tried to change its direction. Brook, racing across his own goal line parried it away.

Brook’s heroics could have swung the momentum of the game but early in the second period Edwards got beyond the back line again. This time he was central and he showed great composure to commit Brooks before slotting the ball home. Sphinx could  have equalised as first Mark Albrighton headed over when free from a corner. Then another ball into the box from a free kick was flicked on and needed Matt Dockerty to take command as he headed clear when under pressure. It was symptomatic of the solidity of Dockerty, Booth and Danny Mcleod at the back all match.

Brooks saved with his legs from McMahon after a sweeping move from the visitors and even managed to be on hand to collect when Berks headed the rebound at goal. Then Matt Dean, working the right flank tirelessly, with pace that had the Sphinx rearguard regularly in trouble, came in from the flank and dribbled the ball into the box. He took away the last defender and slipped the ball towards McMahon, but just too firmly and it ran away to safety.

The let off was short lived though as Gary Fife, almost immediately after replacing Edwards, took a pass from deep, glided into the box and placed it wide of Brooks for Brocton’s second. There was still time for Dean to cause panic with yet another run, but when Fife got free to the left of the box he slid the ball to McMahon for a trade mark finish.


blog comments powered by Disqus