Coventry Sphinx 2 Brocton 3

FA Vase Round 2

Last Updated: Nov 22, 2015 08:43pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Brocton won through to the last 64 of the FA Vase with a fine away win at Coventry Sphinx by the odd goal in five.


A blistering start by Brocton could have had the Badgers 4-0 ahead within the first five minutes. Sam Bell had a shot blocked from a Sean Kinsella cross. Gary Fife’s shot was also blocked with home keeper Scott Dutton beaten.  Fife and Bell combined again only for Bell’s attempt to just pass over the bar and then Kinsella had another shot blocked on the line. Sphinx looked totally at sea, but Brocton had failed to capitalise and the home team gradually worked their way into the match,

Richard Blythe had a speculative shot from distance, but it was close enough to remind their visitors that they were in a game. Another Brocton attack was broken down and the swift counter attack through Lewis McBride could easily have undone Brocton as his cross was hit firmly by Blythe, but over the bar. Then Jackson Downie ventured forward from left back and showed his attacking counterparts how it should be done with a fine strike from 30 yards which gave Callum Barrett no chance on 22minutes. 

The visitors were stunned but then Josh Wilson, on from the start for an unlucky Matt Hardiman who was injured in the warm up, caused problems at the back for Sphinx. The clearance was picked up by Charlie Jones and he found Bell with a fine cross. Bell put the chance away confidently on 28 minutes

Kinsella could have given the Badgers the edge, drifting through the heart of Sphinx’s defence, but could only strike wide and then Luke Downes hit Brocton’s bar after another swift counter. 


The second half was barely underway before the lively David Blenkinsopp had a one on one opportunity against Barrett, but the keeper stayed big and forced the effort wide. Sphinx substitute Trovarn Thomson  showed quick feet as he slipped past four Brocton defenders only to put in a weak shot and then Ed Booth put Brocton in front. He was first to react, nodding in at the far post on 49 minutes after a typically precise free kick from Dave Berks. 

Josh D Wilson replaced Berks and the returning Danny McLeod came on for Gary Fife as Brocton tried to see out the match. But Sphinx piled on the pressure and as the ninety minutes mark was reached Bell seemingly put the game safe when he first lobbed Scott Dutton and then followed up to make sureon 92 minutes

There was nearly ten minutes of added time yet to play though and Sphinx made sure it would be a nervous time as they pegged one back through Lewis McBride and then probed for that vital equaliser but the Badgers held firm. 


blog comments powered by Disqus