Cup Success For League Teams

Bromsgrove League Results - 27th September 2015

Last Updated: Sep 28, 2015 08:53am
St. Johns, Bromsgrove
By Simon Burgess
Share |

Black Horse 4, Thomas Brothers 1 (Hall)
VBG Fairfield 5 (Wilkes 2, Martin, Molesworth, Blakemore), New AFC Barbourne 2
Malvern Radar 4, Rubery Athletic 3 (COURT 3)
Perrywood 7, The Grove 0
Oak Tree Sporting 2 (Tickall, Gasson), WCT Youth Raiders 3 (P Smith, R Smith, OG)
Ale Madrid 3, Meadow Park 7
Spa Athletic 3 (Rainbow 2, Hipkins), Droitwich Spa Eagles Reserves 1 (McDowell)
Harvington 2, Bridgefield 1
Drakes Broughton Rangers 1 (Barrett), Wychbold RBL 2
Sporting Rednal 2 (Gibson, Newman), AFC Claines 1 (King)
Wilden Village 3, Hizza United 1
Chaddesley Corbett 4, Worcester Raiders Sun 4 (WRTS won on pens)
Malvern Rangers Sun 0, Northfield Athletic 9 (COWLEY 4, Gibbs 2, Moore, Brians, Taylor)
Worcester Saints 1, Awkies Allstars 0
AFC Millfields 1 (McGeown), Cookley Sports Reserves 2
Stoke Prior 1, Worcester Saints Res 3
Swan Athletic 4, Chaddesley Corbett Reserves 2 (Westcott 2)
Callowbrook Green 5 (WARD 3, Wyett, Steele), Wilden San Marino 3
Stoke Sporting Res 4 (Snell 2, Price, Stockham),  Tenbury Athletic 2
Belb Athletic 3 (Mallen 2, Gleadlow), AFC Northfield 1
Hewell 5, Laburnum 1
Rubery Juniors 2 (Hodges, Macdonald), FC Bromsgrove 1 (Pell)
Bromsgrove Brentnal 2 (Gaffney 2), Rubery 3

Lickey End Social 1 (Gardener), Alcester Town 4 (Kalach 2, Bennett, Green)

Conway Albion 4, Bromsgrove United 0
Bartley Green Sunday 3 (Strevens, Collins, Farrell), Stoke Sporting 1 (Griffiths)

Chaps United 4, Sporting Club Redditch 2 (Shaw, Smith)
Rednal Social Club 4 (Wilson 2, Price, Brennan), Woodgate Valley 1

In the WFA Premier Cup first, five first round ties today involving six BDFL teams and two are still standing! VBG Fairfield beat New AFC Barbourne from the Worcester League 5-2 which included a brace from Dan Wilkes plus one each for Laurence Martin, Ellis Blakemore and Ryan Molesworth – VBGF have had some disappointments in the County Cup recently so hopefully they can go deep into this year’s competition. In a clash of two of our sides, WCT Youth Raiders got the better of Oak Tree Sporting 3-2, thanks to an own goal and goals from Danny James and Paul Smith, all under the watchful eye of WFA Chief Executive Nichola Trigg who was on her travels this morning around the grounds. OTS goals came from Shane Tickell and James Gasson. Unfortunately things didn’t go so well for our other teams, Rubery Athletic in particular gutted to lose 4-3 to Malvern Radar having been 2-0 up and in full control; Andy Court’s hat-trick ultimately proving in vain. The Grove had a tricky looking trip to classy Worcester side Perrywood and so it proved as the hosts romped to an easy 7-0 win, whilst Thomas Brothers ran out of steam and were unable to beat Black Horse the current holders, going down 4-1 despite Stuart Hall’s spectacular volley. Lickey End Social and Belbroughton Athletic are still in the cup and enter in the next round.


The WFA Junior Cup went well for the BDFL today with 6 teams through from 10 ties, although one of these was an all BDFL tie between the three lettered clubs, namely Division 2 LPR and Division 1 GLA, which LPR won 3-1 thanks to Mark Wilkes second half hat-trick. Meadow Park won 7-3 at the legendary named Ale Madrid whilst Spa Athletic had a derby win over Droitwich Spa Eagles reserves winning 3-1 thanks to the in-form Luke Rainbow (2) and Dale Hipkins who scored the second half goals after Toby McDowell had given Eagles a first half lead. Wychbold RBL finally chalked up a positive result after an awful September, winning 2-1 at Drakes Broughton Rangers. Northfield Athletic continued their irresistible form winning 9-0 away at Malvern Rangers Sunday thanks to another four goals from Jason Cowley, two from Daniel Gibbs and one each for Scott Taylor, Reiss Brians and Josh Moore; Northfield were 6-0 up at the break and having scored inside 10 seconds, this appeared to be one way traffic from the start. Sporting Rednal had a narrow 2-1 win at home to AFC Claines but did it the hard way coming from behind after Jordan King had given the visitors the lead with a fine finish from the edge of the area. Lloyd Newman equalised from close range before Darryl Foster was lucky to stay on the pitch after he looked to have denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Andrew Gibson put Rednal 2-1 up just before half-time with a shot which look a little deflection on its way in. All the other results were all losses for the BDFL teams; 10 men Bridgefield after a red card lost 2-1 at Evesham League side Harvington whilst Awkies Allstars surprisingly departed in the first round, losing 1-0 at Worcester Saints despite dominating possession on a huge pitch. Chaddesley Corbett got taken to penalties against Worcester Raiders Sunday after the tie ended 4-4 after 90 minutes but a defeat in the shoot-out sees last year’s minor cup finalists depart at the first time of asking this time around. Hizza United lost 3-1 at Wilden Village, a result we initially thought was a Hizza win but an incorrect message denotion scuppered our hopes of putting another one over on the Kidderminster League!


There were also five ties today in the WFA Minor Cup, for our Division 3 teams. Just like the Premier Cup, we had two teams safely negotiate their way through into Round 2 with three other teams crashing out. Not a good day for Chaddesley Corbett FC, as the reserves lost 4-2 to Swan Athletic (Adam Westcott netting a brace for Chadds), whilst Worcester Saints Reserves did the double over BDFL sides winning 3-1 at a horribly depleted Stoke Prior. AFC Millfields surprisingly lost to Cookley Sports Reserves 2-1, with Sam McGeowen on the scoresheet for Millies. Congratulations to Millies striker Ash Roland whose girlfriend gave birth shortly after lunchtime which meant the key striker departed at half-time which can’t have helped matters (and for our female readers who may be interested, the baby weighed in at 7lb 9.5 oz)! Callowbrook Green and Stoke Sporting Reserves were our victors in this cup though, Callowbrook winning 5-3 over Wilden San Marino in what appeared to be a highly physical game. Jimmy Ward with a hat-trick though as well as Jack Steele and Luke Wyatt netting. Stoke Sporting Reserves followed up the first team win last week by beating Tenbury Athletic 4-2, largely in part due to Jon Snell’s brace plus Dean Price/Johnny Stockham goals. Although we know who all our teams have in the next round, we have been embargoed from releasing these publically yet so clubs will need to wait a little bit longer until we get the nod from Craftsman House!

With the majority of our teams in County Cup action, this left a sprinkling of internal games. In the LMS Shield, Belbroughton Athletic beat AFC Northfield 3-1 in a Group D game with all the goals coming in the first half. Belbroughton raced into a 2 goal lead inside 15 minutes; Firstly Alex Mallen opened the scoring after an assist by Chris Gleadlow, before Gleadlow powered home Jamie ‘Mr Happy’ Gatfield’s well floated corner. AFCN got back in the game five minutes later from their own corner routine. Just before half-time, Gleadlow and Mallen combined again, Mallen forcing the ball home from close range. Al Wood the Belbroughton keeper got sent off with 20 minutes to go for handling outside his area but Belbroughton managed to see the game through despite the numerical disadvantage. 


In Bridgwater Cup action, Laburnum’s wait for a win continues as they lost 5-1 to Hewell, whilst Bromsgrove Brentnal’s Scott Gaffney scored two (one a penalty) as his side lost 3-2 to a very useful performance from Division 3 leaders Rubery, this one seeing Rubery go into a quick fire two goal lead from which they never really looked back. Group D is a tight group with four good teams in it and it will be interesting to see who comes out on top. Rubery Juniors beat FC Bromsgrove 2-1 in a Group C clash thanks to goals from that man again, Dean Hodges, plus a debut strike for James Macdonald with 8 minutes left on the clock. Paul Pell scored for Pat’s men who also missed a penalty. 


In the Premier Division’s only game of the day, Lickey End Social and Alcester Town played out a very entertaining and spirited clash at Droitwich which Alcester won 4-1 to send them to the top of the division on goal difference. Alcester took a 6th minute lead when the mobile and impressive Ellis Kalach netted and they looked to be very comfortable early on. Lickey End soon got back on top  and were denied on at least four occasions when Alcester net-minder Paul Maynard, in a smart Sheffield United goalkeeper kit, pulled off save after save, with jet-heeled striker Sam Wright denied time and time again after his searing pace had got the better of the backline down the left flank. Lickey goalkeeper Luke Abbey wasn’t to be denied either as he made a couple of fine saves too, especially in the 41st minute and then Jamie Gifford somehow missed from no more than a yard out hitting the woodwork. Into the second half, Alcester had scored a second within 40 seconds of the restart; Fine passing cut open the Lickey defence and Kalach’s neat reverse pass saw Sam Bennett run on inside the full back and curl a right footed shot past Abbey. Goals 3 and 4 were not long in coming as Josh Green and Kalach rifled home spectacular finishes as Alcester really began to turn on the style; Unfortunately for the game, this quick fire spree of goals killed the occasion and Lickey looked well beaten. Jamie Gardener got a consolation with about 20 minutes to go as Alcester’s backline dithered and Maynard kicked the ball straight to a Lickey player and Gardener tapped home when it ended up at his feet. Alcester continued to press and could have added a fifth when Lewis Marston hit the bar. 


Two games in Division 1 and first up, Bartley Green Illey Sunday beat Stoke Sporting 3-1; Bartley Green manager Mark McCleary was not in attendance due to a stag do in the party town of Blackpool but he will have been pleased to hear his side raced into a 3 goal lead in the first half as Dom Strevens, Connor Collins and Sean Farrell netted. Mike Griffiths scored for Stoke in the second half as they ultimately paid for a slow start to the game. Meanwhile, Conway United put in an impressive showing beating Bromsgrove United 4-0 but no details available on this at the time of writing.

In Division 2, Chaps United won for the first time in a while as they beat Sporting Club Redditch 4-2 (whose goals came from Joe Shaw and Wayne Smith), but the first 20 minutes was all one way traffic with SCR piling on the pressure hitting the post and seeing goal line clearances form desperate Chaps defenders. Once SCR did get ahead, Chaps equalised straight away totally against the run of play. Chaps then went ahead after a free header from a corner (footage can be seen on the League’s Facebook page) and then netted a penalty to increase the lead further. We are not sure when the Chaps fourth goal came or by what means but SCR pulled another back with 20 to go from Smith’s header, but couldn’t net again. Rednal Social Club, fresh from a week off, beat Woodgate Valley 4-1 whose player woes continued as they played some of the first half with 10 men after some late arrivals. 1-1 at the break and game on, but three great Rednal goals in the second half secured the points. Connor Wilson netted twice and one each for Michael Price and Graham Brennan. 


So onto next week’s matches and the Worcester Nursing Cup takes centre stage. We have an excellent record against Worcester sides in recent years and hopefully that will continue, although there are two all BDFL ties as well! Belbroughton Athletic face a visit from free scoring Northfield Athletic in the LMS Shield whilst Bridgwater Cup Group D when LPR travel to Rubery is a key game between two sides who have started the season very well.  Alcester Town will give VBGF a game next week if they perform to today’s level whilst we have the first instalment of the traditional local rivalry between Sporting Rednal and Bartley Green Illey Sunday…………Lots to look forward too as we head into October.


blog comments powered by Disqus