Defeat puts Colts in Provisional 4th

Evesham Colts 14 - 31 Silhillians

Last Updated: Apr 2, 2014 07:15pm
Church Lench, Wychavon
By Ben Salcedo
Share |

Defeat in final League match leaves Evesham Colts in provisional 4th place

Evesham’s final game in the Under 19 North Midlands Colts League ended with a disappointing 14-31 home defeat to Silhillians. This leaves Evesham in provisional 4th place with teams around them still having matches to play.
With several squad players unavailable Evesham were forced to play a few players out of position, despite this they had a clear advantage in the set-pieces. Unforunately they failed to capitalise as Silhillians' aggressive defence spoiled much of the home side’s early ball. This kept Evesham pinned in their own half for the first 15 minutes and, courtesy of some poor tackling, the visitors scored two tries, one converted, for a 0-12 lead. Evesham tightened up their game and, with the driving maul from the lineout working well and forwards James RobertsJoe Cafearo and Connor Greatrix carrying the ball effectively, they built momentum. The pressure told when Josh Perry pounced on loose ball from a Silhillians' lineout. He was held up over the line, but Evesham got their reward from the following scrum. Cafearo, Josh Sands and Scott Fairfax worked a blindside move for Sands to score in the corner. Ash Icke made an impressive conversion to leave Evesham in touch at half-time, trailing 7-12.
Evesham conceded a really soft converted try straight from the kick-off, before regaining control of the game. Icke kicked well out of hand to give Evesham good territory and the forwards worked hard to maintain possession. None more so than Fred Hopper whose phenomenal work rate won him the Man-of-the-Match award. With good continuity of phases Evesham pounded Silhillians' try line for a good 10 minutes. Greatrix, Ady Cook and debutant Matt Jacob all came close to scoring before a quick tap penalty was shifted wide for Fairfax to score on the wing. Icke made another impressive conversion to bring Evesham back to within 5 points at 14-19. Unfortunately the effort of Evesham’s attack took the sting out of their defence. Too many missed tackles, combined with Silhillians' well executed off-loading game, allowed the visitors to score two further tries, one of which they converted. This killed the game for Evesham, not even a last minute run from Wilf Watson could salvage anything else from the tie.
Evesham, with the fire-power they contain in the full Colts squad, are disappointed not to have finished higher in the league. They were hampered by disrupted training through the floods and unfortunate injuries in key positions. However the squad can be immensely proud of the support they have provided to the Senior teams all year.

Photo: File pic



blog comments powered by Disqus