ERFC Colts win on the road at last!

ERFC Junior Match Reports

Last Updated: Nov 20, 2013 05:37pm
Evesham, Wychavon
By Ben Salcedo
Share |

Evesham ended their poor run of results away from home in the North Midlands Colts League with a 27-44 victory over Shrewsbury.

The visitors ran out comfortable winners, but the game was not without incident and the difference between the two sides was less than the score may suggest. Evesham scored eight good tries but their performance ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous throughout the game.

The first half began frantically with lots of scoring action, but also littered with poor defensive work. Evesham were first to be exposed as Shrewsbury, in their first attack, scored from a simple blindside move. Evesham hit back immediately with an opportunistic score by Wilf Watson. The centre charged down a clearing kick, hacked ahead and won the foot race to touch down. The visitors scored again a few minutes later when Mike Harris, playing at No.8, broke down the blindside from a scrum, drew in the defence and fed Josh Sands to score in the corner in a well executed planned move, sublime. Now back to the ridiculous as Shrewsbury attacked with purpose and Evesham conceded ground through poor tackling and poor positioning. Shrewsbury were quick to take advantage and score their second try. Harris missed his attempts to convert both of Evesham’s early tries but Shrewsbury slotted both of theirs for a 14-10 lead after 15 minutes. The game seemed to settle and Evesham used their set-piece and big ball carriers to gain control. The scrum was rock solid and the lineout was good with Joe Beirns bossing the front. James Roberts had several strong runs, with Connor Greatrix, Fred Hopper andJames Williamson also carrying well. The support play at this point was good with some excellent off-loads and continuity. Shrewsbury were forced to concede penalties to stop Evesham’s momentum. Twice Harris kicked for touch in the corner. Twice Beirns caught and set clean line-out ball and twice with the same result. A driving maul and try for Iain Stoddart. Harris converted one of the tries, but no sooner had Evesham taken control before they let it slip again. Discipline was lacking as Shrewsbury finished the half the stronger, after both sides had a player dismissed for violent conduct in an isolated incident. Only good cover tackles from Ady Cook and Ash Charlton denied Shrewsbury a further first-half try, but the homeside did slot a penalty kick to trail 17-22 at the break.
Evesham had the advantage of a bigger squad and this told in the second half as they dominated the scoreboard throughout. Evesham’s quality of play was again varied, but they certainly took their chances well as Shrewsbury tired. Stoddart was first to shine as he chased and gathered a kick ahead to score and complete his hat-trick. Next it was Josh Perry, he was found in space on the left-wing, took the ball into contact 5m out and showed impressive leg-drive to make it over the line. Harris missed both conversions and Shrewsbury hit back with a penalty and converted try to trail 27-32 with 15 minutes to play. Jack Witts proved to be Evesham’s game winner in the final quarter. He made several sniping breaks from scrum-half giving Evesham the necessary go forward to close out the game. Cook worked tirelessly in support at openside-flanker and Charlton played well at outside-half as the visitors scored twice more. Ash Icke had a quiet game but did find himself on the end of a good team move to score the first, Charlton made a break and linked-up with Williamson and Stoddart before the inside-centre was put clear. The final try of the game was scored by Watson who combined pace and strength to dive over from close range. Harris was having a bad day with the kicking tee and, after missing the extras following Icke’s try, he handed it over to Josh Perry to round off the day’s scoring with a clean strike through the uprights.
Both flankers, Ady Cook and Iain Stoddart had excellent games, especially as Evesham played largely without a No.8 following the red card incident, and both could have taken the Man-of-the-Match award but it was Stoddart, the hat-trick scorer, who got the vote. Evesham entertain Lichfield in Round 3 of the National Colts Cup next weekend and hope for a more consistent performance.

U15s contest the game, but lose the match!

by Phil Harvey

At half time..7-7 it was all to play for

If pressure is defined as force per unit area then the whole Evesham team must have been poured from reinforced concrete , so much of it they had to absorb in this match.
Old Luctonians are a large, fast, well organised team and yet Evesham managed to contain them for most of the game with excellent cover tackling
and better rucking skills. At half time honours were even with a try apiece,Connor Armento going over and a Gio Capaldi conversion.
In a scrappy second half, try as they might the Claret and Blues backs just could not break through the home team’s defensive wall. After more pressure and yet more, Luctonians scored two more tries from five yard lineouts and a penalty kick. This was a fantastic team effort by a team who know that they can achieve much, much more in the future.
Report by: Duncan Webster

Despite the result team spirit won the day

by Michael Adams

The rapidly developing U13s squad travelled to Upton-on-Severn on Sunday buoyed by a fine win on their last outing. However, some of those travelling were haunted by ugly memories from last seasons corresponding fixture, which was a real low point in a difficult campaign, so this would be a good barometer to gauge the development of the team through the summer.
The game began at a frantic pace but without any pattern to play and both sides making mistakes. It was a crude hacked clearance from the Upton lines that led to the first try. The Upton forwards were quickest to react and they moved the ball quickly to score with relative ease on the 5 minute mark. With the conversion missed it was 5-0 but this was soon 10-0 after 8 mins. A breakdown in play saw the home forwards again react quicker and seeing an overlap on the Upton left, the scrum half started a fine move that saw the ball move quickly through hands for an easy try in the corner. This was repeated in the 12th minute with an almost identical try.15-0. Evesham had to shake themselves out of their slumber and it was from the missed conversion and a robust pep talk from the coaches that stung them into action.
On 18 minutes a smart piece of improvisation by Owain Hann not only cleared the immediate danger but led to a fine jinking run by Ryan Keyte, who when stopped, smartly presented to ball for the arriving pack. The ball was moved quickly by Alex Nettell through the backs out to Josh Sellick who embarked on a blistering run of 50 plus metres, he seemed destined to score but was stopped by an outstanding tackle by the Upton fullback. Evesham were starting to make a game of it with further breaks by the impressive Hann, Adam Stanley, AJ Corbett and Morgan French ably supported by the Evesham pack led by Tristan O'Neill making numerous fine tackles. Another fine move just before half time saw the ball arrive in Tom Evans hands on the left wing, he went on a mazy run, evading a string of attempted tackles but was stopped just short of the Upton line over on the right wing. The half time whistle came too soon for the visitors as they started to ask questions of the Upton defence. 15-0 at HT.
The second half started like the first but this time the Evesham concentration was much better and the defence stood strong. The game settled into a midfield battle with half breaks from both sides and it was in this passage of play that saw the tackle of the game from Adam Ballard. Sensing a try, the big Upton number three crashed through a couple of Evesham players but young Ballard produced a textbook tackle, going low to stop him in his tracks. The Evesham pack were performing well with Andy Wright, O'Neill, French, Stanley and Ballard mopping up at the breakdown and recycling well. The scrummaging and mauling was strong from both sides but Upton had the luxury of multiple substitutions and as the game went on they gradually got on top and with 10 minutes to go they scored their fourth, albeit controversial try, again unconverted. 20-0...Queue a period of sustained Evesham pressure that had Upton repeatedly resorting to desperate kicks to clear their lines. Again Sellick, Hann and Evans were the threat when the ball was moved quickly or space appeared but the strength of O'Neill, French and Corbett were also effective in almost breaking through. Sadly the game ended with Evesham camped on the Upton try line but unable to make the breakthrough their fine second half play warranted. Final score 20-0.
Despite the defeat this was an excellent, spirited team performance. The boys have come a long way since their last visit to this ground. It was really encouraging to see the boys stand up and support each other and not allow themselves to be intimidated despite the slow start. Especially pleasing was the spontaneous applause the boys gave to young Harry Powell from the U12s who did not look out of place in the front row with the older age group, and the fact that all the injured players made the effort to travel to an away game to support their team mates was great to see. Superb team spirit - well done boys - now to take that into the next game.
There were quite a few nominations for man of the match but it was Tristan O'Neill who deservedly took the plaudits with a real battling captains performance and it was super to see the whole team applaud him at the end.

Evesham U9s Dominate!

by David Snell

Despite looking decidedly lacklustre in the warm up before Sunday’s fixtures against Upton, Evesham Under 9s went on to dominate the morning and continue their improvement in all aspects of the game.

It took a wake up call from the coach to get them firing, but fire is exactly what they did!
Evesham Tigers got off to a fast start against a spirited Upton side who did their best to match Evesham physically but couldn’t withstand the constant pressure they were put under. Laurie Checkley led the way with his incessant tackling which forced mistakes from the opposition and turned the ball over countless times. Checkley himself took great advantage of those turnovers to run in 4 tries during the game. Some elusive running from Toby Lungley, a consistent feature of his game, saw him help himself to a well deserved hat-trick. A lovely pass from Dan Lee put Rowan Snell for a score before Lee got one himself. With Toby Jones completing the scoring it was a comprehensive victory. 
In their second game Dan Lee was firing on all cylinders as he beautifully finished a number of flowing moves to bag a hat-trick. Checkley matched him again and he was joined by Snell and Lungley again. The main feature of both games was the constant pressure and tackling Evesham put in which gave their opponents very little chance to reply.
Evesham Lions took a little while to get going but once in their stride were also unstoppable in their first game. Ed Cook opened the scoring before the impressive Barney Guy joined him on the scoresheet. The defence was a little frail at times which kept Upton in touch at half time. They hadn’t banked on Miller Willis running riot and a hat trick from him along with tries from Ed Thompson, Freddie Sharp and another from Guy gave them a convincing win.
In their second game they were definitely asleep from the start as the Upton player ran in unopposed. Upton added a second to put Evesham under pressure but it was pressure they relished. Tommy Boorman in particular led the way with some great tackling and a try, before Thompson and Cook snuck Evesham ahead at half time. Evesham were more on their game defensively in the second half and didn’t concede another as well as helping themselves to 3 more tries.
Overall a very impressive morning’s work from Evesham who are beginning to look like they have a real desire for the contact thanks to the relentless work of all the coaches. It’s paying off!

Under 8s Evesham v Upton

by Ben Salcedo

Under 8s continue to improve

Evesham entertained Upton this Sunday and continue to show good all round improvement in their play. Splitting into two teams they Won 2 matches, Lost 1 and Drew the final match all in close-scoring encounters. Ethan Corbett and Harry Wycherley topped the list of try scorers.
Team 1 (tries scored):
Ethan Corbett (9)
Cameron Brydon (4)
Cameron Robbins
Ollie Dishart (1)
Nick Bell (1)
Ollie Appleby (1)
Anton De Vos 

Evesham 8-11 Upton
Evesham 7-5 Upton

Team 2 (tries scored):

Luke Jones
Harry Wycherley (10)
Jake Knight
Josh Neal (2)
George Maskell (1)
Jonty Flaxman
Luke Tegg (7)
Theo Cotton

Evesham 11-10 Upton
Evesham 9-9 Upton



blog comments powered by Disqus