Evesham U15s North Mids Plate FINALISTS!

Evesham Junior & Colt Weekend Match Reports

Last Updated: Mar 19, 2014 09:01pm
Evesham, Wychavon
By Evesham RFC
Share |

Evesham Colts record a much needed victory

Evesham grabbed some much needed points in the North Midlands Colts League, following a tense 29-27 bonus-point victory over Wolverhampton.

The game, played at the Avon-side club, turned into a thriller and was contested in good competitive spirits throughout, despite some slightly over-officious refereeing which led to 4 yellow cards and 1 red card being awarded, mostly to the home side.
The first yellow card was shown in the first 2 minutes as Evesham’s full-back was penalised for allegedly playing an opponent off the ball. Wolverhampton took advantage and scored an unconverted try to open the scoring.

Evesham did not panic and, with outside-half Mike Harris in imperious form with the boot and scrum-half Ash Charlton distributing the ball effectively, they were soon in control of the game. With Wolverhampton pegged deep in their own half Josh Perry was first to take advantage, in a moment of individual brilliance the flanker chipped over the on-rushing defence and, with a helpful bounce, gathered it himself to score under the posts.

A few minutes later a simple miss-move in the centres saw Wilf Watson take the ball at pace, hit the gap and swerve around the full-back to score. Harris made both conversions and slotted a penalty soon after. Storming runs up the centre by Nat Bailey and Martin Di Franco soon had the visitors on the back-foot again and, when they tried to counter-attack from under their own posts Perry was there to intercept, shrug off the last defender and score again. Harris converted but Wolverhampton hit-back with an unconverted try to trail 24-10 at the break.
Evesham upped the physicality early in the second-half with Joe CafearoAsh IckeConnor Greatrix and James Roberts all putting in some fearsome tackles, but Wolverhampton somehow managed to score an unconverted try against the run off play...and then the madness started! Evesham lost a player to the sin-bin from the restart, for taking a man out in the air, Wolverhampton scored a fourth unconverted try and, from the next restart, Evesham lost a further player to the sin-bin for a similar offence. Now down to 13 men Evesham were under serious pressure and stretched out-wide, Wolverhampton eventually made it count and scored a converted try to lead 24-27, at which point Evesham had a player red-carded for dissent.

With only 12 players left on the pitch Evesham appeared to have thrown another game away. However, they dug in incredibly hard with no little thanks to the work-rates of Fred Hopper, who tackled magnificently, and Man-of-the-Match Perry, who won turnover ball from contact or ruck on countless occasions. Gradually they turned up the pressure and, with their numbers back up to 14, laid siege to the Wolverhampton line.

The visitors held firm initially, but a string of penalties saw them earn a yellow card and ultimately defeat as Harris crashed over the line from close range. Harris just missed the conversion but the try was Evesham’s fourth earning them a bonus point. Harris could have extended the winning margin in the closing minutes but missed an ambitious drop-kick and long range penalty attempt. Wolverhampton had a chance to hit-back on the stroke of full-time but Alex Tarplee forced a knock-on with a solid tackle to end a breathless game.
Evesham have a week off before facing Silhillians in their final league game of the season, a win will give them an outside chance of finishing third.


Evesham U15s win through to North Mids Plate FINAL!

Evesham 26 - 7 Dudley Kingswinford

A superb performance from the whole Evesham team: from the start the forwards, led by man of the match Josh Hartland, were fast, aggressive and first to the breakdown.

Despite huge pressure from the visitors, ferocious tackling from Finley BreachLewis Cochrane and Marcus Harris kept DK’s out.
Then on five minutes Ryan Scarrott, at speed picked up a loose ball on his own twenty-two and ran in a solo try in the right hand corner. James Thompson converted.
Now it was the Claret and Blues’ turn to pile on the pressure under the visitors’ posts, and repeated infringements on the Evesham scrum-half Breach earned them a penalty try on half time.
In the second half it was more of the same in the forward battle, no quarter was asked for and none was given. Superb defensive kicking by Giovani Capaldi and Thompson helped relieve pressure and gain territory for the home side. As more and more pressure was applied by the Evesham backs, defensive mistakes had to happen, a neat offload by Johnnie Deakin eventually put George Guy over in the forty fifth minute. 
DK’s then replied with their only try three minutes later. Even so the Evesham forwards were not yet finished, with a scrum on the Dudley line, Keiran Raymer peeled off the back and scored with a minute to go to the final whistle.
A huge win to take Evesham U15’s into the North Midlands Plate final.


Too hot to handle

A stunning Sunday morning saw a full team make the short trip down the A46 to Tewkesbury. No Big Nutty this week so it was over to Mick and Jake to get the boys up for this game. This fixture was a closely contested game earlier in the season so it would

Evesham kicked off with the wind and sun at their backs and they immediately put the hosts under pressure by camping themselves in their 22. With only 2 mins gone, Morgan French towered above his opposite number at the lineout, the ball spun down the backs at speed with the back row ofTristan O'Neill, Andy Wright and James Cross joining in to provide options. The ball arrived at Ryan Keyte who broke through one tackle but was held up just short of the line. Undeterred, the Evesham boys re-set themselves and another great move, again from winning lineout ball, saw Owain Hannmake a break, move the ball to AJ Corbett who played a cute one-two with the mercurial Harrison Walker and when AJ was just about to score a thundering tackle saw the ball knocked forward. Still 0-0 but Evesham dominating after 5 mins. Everything was in the Tewkesbury half, a score was on the cards and we didn't have to wait long.
On 6 mins a superb passage of play, again the impressive French winning the high ball at the lineout, saw James Icke arriving at pace to take the ball in his stride from the excellent Tom Evansand crash through several attempted tackles to score his first try. Any casual observer would have seen that this was a really popular scorer as every Evesham player went forward to congratulate big James. Unfortunately Owain Hann couldn't make the conversion so it was 0-5.
At the restart Tewkesbury attempted to take the game to Evesham but it wasn't long before they were defending hard in their own 22. Tewkesbury were awarded a scrum on their own 22 metre line following a knock on by an Evesham forward. Everyone expected a routine clearance kick by Tewkesbury but the Evesham pack put in an almighty push to win against the head. Evans quickly fed Hann who surged forward before off-loading to Corbett who in turn fed the arriving James Crosswho did superbly well to beat several defenders before providing a superb pass to Walker who finished between the posts. A really superb try. This time Hann provided the extras 0-12.
Evesham's dominance continued and on 15 mins another lineout saw French palm the ball back to Evans who again fed Hann and this time the arriving Andy Wright received the ball 15 metres out and after side stepping his opponent he too scored his first try of the season under the posts. Again Hann doesn't miss those so it was 19-0.
For the rest of the half it was last ditch defending and clearing from Tewkesbury and repeated attacks from Evesham. One such clearance was very high and it took a superb take by Evesham full-back Josh Sellick to prevent a Tewkesbury score against the run of play. After another excellent passage of play somehow Tewkesbury managed to keep out the rampaging French who had three tacklers hanging from him before falling just short. Repeated Evesham attacks just failed to breach the brave defence of the hosts. Another near miss came when right winger, Alex Nuttell found himself with ball in hand and space to run into. He cleverly avoided a number of would-be tacklers but just didn't have the legs to go over in the corner. At half-time the score remained 0-19.
Half time gave the Tewkesbury coaches time to re-group and drill their players and for Mick and Jake to make some changes to the Evesham line up. Young Nuttell had sadly received a hand injury in the last passage of play so the coaches moved the forwards around with Wright moving onto the right wing.
The second half started with Tewkesbury coming hard at Evesham. If the boys thought the game was won at half-time they had to think again, the hosts were not going to take this [censored] down. A brief Evesham attack saw James Cross get over the gain line and surge towards the oppositions 22 before off-loading to Hann who was held up just short of the try line.
Tewkesbury came back strong and 12 mins into the half they scored near the posts and the conversion was made with aplomb. 7-19. Would Evesham wobble? Possibly, because Tewkesbury kept coming at Evesham and our boys couldn't break out until a ball popped out of a ruck into O'Neil's hands who quickly moved it to Hann and onto Corbett. A quick break saw Corbett off-load to Cross and onto Wright who made further yards before passing to the surging Evans who proceeded to run from half-way, leaving defenders in his wake as he placed the ball down under the posts. Hann converted. 7-24
Straight from the re-start Tewkesbury put a high kick forward but an excellent take and surge forward by James Cross threatened to put Tewkesbury to the sword again but Tewkesbury arrived in numbers to snuff out the threat.
The game remained in Evesham's half and repeated scrums saw the front row of Adam Stanley,Liam Raymer and Joe Capaldi put under immense pressure but credit must go to them for the guts and character they showed as they refused to be intimidated. One such scrum saw Evesham win the ball against the head and a superb series of passes saw Sellick join the attack to receive the ball and absolutely scorch his way to a superb try from his own half. Hann converted so it was 7-31 but this was a score against the run of play and Tewkesbury weren’t beaten yet.
The restart saw Evesham put under great pressure by their opponents. After 22 mins of the second half the Evesham defence couldn't hold out and a Tewkesbury forward found a gap to make it 12-31. The conversion was missed. Perhaps a Tewkesbury come-back was on after all.
With only a minute remaining another fine move by Evesham saw Tom Evans race forward for this second try of the game which Hann converted. Final score 12-38.
It's hard to be critical of the boys after such a dominating first half but credit to Tewkesbury for their tackle count must have been very high & for making a game of it in the second half while challenging the Evesham boys’ complacency. Yet again the Evesham scrummaging was strong and this is an aspect of their game that is becoming really consistent; Next weeks game against Shipston will provide a stern test in this area. 
Every Evesham player made telling contributions today, which was good to see, but it was the excellent performance of James Cross at open-side flanker, who deservedly took the man of the match honours against the team he broke his ankle against last November - well done James!
Written by
Dale Wright.



blog comments powered by Disqus