Hales Falter as Hinckley Take Pole

Old Halesonians 20 - 31 Hinckley

Last Updated: Mar 14, 2016 06:34pm
Hagley, Bromsgrove
By Mark Jackson
Share |

This was seen as a deciding game for both teams in terms of promotion and play off positions. The game should have been played last week but despite the home side being happy to play the visiting DOR declared the pitch too dangerous due to surface water. 

In any event the rearranged fixture saw both sides effected by unavailability with Hales also having key players out through injury. Nevertheless the game started with venom and within a minute the home side  were on the attack. 

Luke Smith gathered the ball on the wing, passed one defender and kicked on for a chase, centre Carl Robinson won the race for an unconverted try 5 - 0. This was early indication of the Hales team up for the contest. 

However, a big strong Hinckley side were soon in command with strong running and three converted tries on 10, 17 and 24 minutes to lead 5 - 21.   This came as a shock to Hales who battled to get back into the game. 

This was not helped by injuries to Luke Smith and Chris Hooper who had to leave the field, replaced by Andy Holloway and Dave Hadkiss. This disrupted the home side despite valiant efforts from Player Coach Ben Hughes, Ben Barkley, Steve Leach and Max Macfarlane to stem the flow. 

Further pressure forced a penalty for Hinckley to lead 5 - 24. Hales tried hard to make a mends with hooker Sam Jones and centre Robinson giving their all. On 38 mins Hales pressure forced a penalty, converted by Oli Rayner for a half time score of 8 - 24.  

The half time chat by skipper Hughes needed to be focussed as the team disruptions seemed to effect performance. The second half saw more commitment from the home side and after 2 minutes a Hinckley player collapsed a maul and left the field with  a yellow card. Hales worked their way up the field with telling runs. 

Continued pressure by Hadkiss at 9 kept the team going forward for prop Matt Young to drive over for a try, conveyed by Rayner 15 - 24. This  gave Hales some incentive with attacking play by Hadkiss, Leach, Tom  King and hooker Jones. 

On 60 minutes a fight involving King from Hales and his opposite number reduced the teams by a player each, both with yellow cards. On 63 minutes Hinckley again came back with strong forward and back combinations to score another well worked try to stretch the lead to 15 - 31. 

The game seemed over with the visitors in control but Hales would not give in, Hughes leading another charge up the field.  On 80 minutes the forwards kept the ball and young flanker Kieren Haynes was on the end of a drive with his debut try for the first team with a final score of 20 - 31 to Hinckley who now sit top of the league.



Hales travel to Lichfield this week, kick off 3 pm 


2nd team

Old Hales 0 - 54 Luctonians


The second team travelled the distance to Luctonians for a cup game only to come away with a disappointing loss.


3/4th team


Old Hales 44 – 17 Warley


blog comments powered by Disqus