Hinckley Crush SCRFC

SCRFC 1st XV 3 - 46 Hinckley 1st XV

Last Updated: Sep 16, 2015 10:54pm
Sutton New Hall, Birmingham
By David Daniels
Share |

Sutton Coldfield 3 pts v Hinckley RFC 46 pts
National League 3 Midlands 
Although losing the opening game of the new season by the narrowest of margins at 32-31 against a very strong Bromsgrove side, the much changed Sutton squad had made a promising start to the season in their first competitive outing but unfortunately last weekend, they suffered a second consecutive defeat as they were crushed 46-3 at home by a well drilled Hinckley outfit, who were runners up in the league last season and although losing the promotion play-off, they have continued where they left off last season.
The game kicked off with Hinckley taking play deep into the Sutton half putting Sutton under sustained pressure from the start and although Sutton defended strongly holding back the initial onslaught, Hinckley took an early 3-0 lead when Sutton were caught off side at a ruck on the edge of their 22 after just 6 minutes and flyhalf Mark Lord kicked the penalty.
Sutton came back strongly and they levelled the scores at 3-3, when the visitors were penalised for killing the ball in midfield and centre Alex White kicked a 35m penalty 12 minutes into the game but within minutes Hinckley recovered the lead when a Sutton clearance kick to touch was judged to be outside the 22 and play was brought back for a Hinckley lineout on the Sutton 22. Hinckley won clean ball from the lineout and drove a well practised driving maul towards the try line allowing no8 and captain Alex Salt to break off and dive over in the left corner for a well worked score to claim an 8-3 lead with 15 minutes played.
Sutton tried to respond but unfortunately when they had the advantage having gained hard won possession they struggled to ignite their attacking game and simple handling errors and poor options in the Hinckley half cost them possession and territory all too often, forcing Sutton to play much of the game on the back foot... and once again the visitors took full advantage returning play to the Sutton half and driving a maul towards the Sutton 22 before breaking to send left wing Sam Greasley racing into the left corner for a try, which was converted from the touchline by Mark Lord to extend the lead to 15-3 after 25 minutes of play.
Sutton tried to pull their game together and after occasional problems with the lineout during the opening period at last the lineout started to deliver good ball and although under pressure in the scrums the Sutton pack just about held their own but still the game would not flow for Sutton and their problems were compounded when they were penalised for an unintended high tackle on the Hinckley winger, who ducked into the tackle but the referee issued a yellow card 5 minutes before the break. Hinckley kicked the resulting penalty into the left corner and from a catch and drive flanker Tom Morris was driven over for a try, which extended the Hinckley lead to 20-3. The conversion was missed but the Hinckley invading forces camped on the Sutton line for the remaining 4 minutes of the first half and 14 man Sutton did well to close the half without conceding another score.
Unfortunately the second half proved to be an ill tempered affair with both sides receiving 2 yellow cards each during the course of a disruptive second 40 minutes and unfortunately a Sutton yellow grew into a red when Sutton were found guilty of retaliating after a fight broke out just minutes after the game restarted following the break. Sutton found themselves reduced to 13 men for 10 minutes midway through the second half, which did not help their cause on a day when nothing went the way of the home side. Whilst regrettable and not acceptable, the Sutton indiscretions were not without provocation and were dealt with fairly by the referee based on what he saw but nothing went Sutton's way on a difficult day, with crucial decisions going against them as they appeared to make progress and their own self inflicted problems of handling errors etc. adding to their problems!
With all the early frustration and disruption in the second half the game did not settle down properly until 20 minutes in when a Sutton clearance deep into Hinckley territory was run back at pace and clean through the middle of the Sutton defence. The counterattack spread wide until 13 man Sutton ran out of defenders and Dylan Weddle crossed for a try wide out to extend the Hinckley score to 25-3 with 24 minutes of the second half played.
However, with Sutton restored to 14 men Hinckley continued to pile on the pressure and in the closing 12 minutes the visitors scored three converted tries. The first of the trio came from flanker Ben Avent who crossed under the posts after supporting a break up the right wing on 28 minutes, converted by Mark Lord. This was followed by a try for hooker Luke Coltman after a scrappy passage of play, which again saw Sutton out numbered, converted by scrum half Joe Glover, who also nipped in for the final try after Sutton lost the ball close to their line... and the scrum half converted his own try to close the game at 46-3.
This weekend Sutton travel to close neighbours and old rivals Lichfield RFC looking to recover their composure and record an opening win of the season against a Lichfield side who have made a good start, recording 2 wins out of 2 but it is not beyond Sutton to spring a surprise and start their season afresh with an away win at Lichfield. KO 3pm.
Sutton other team results: 

Sutton 2nd XV / Development side travelled to Burton and recorded another convincing victory following their victory at Hereford in the opening fixture all of which bodes well for a good season under the guidance of coach Joe Gavin.
Sutton 3rd XV entertained very close neighbours Old Salts 2nd XV at Walmley Rd for their league 2 encounter and the Sutton side recorded a scintillating 57-19 victory over their league rivals. Sutton were led by skipper Mark McEvoy and veteran prop Andy Duckworth under the coaching of Dean Harper and supported by manager Daniel Harvey. There were many choices for man of the match including Ian Wilson etc.... and Rhys Jones was also in contention with a hat trick of tries in the high scoring game. 


blog comments powered by Disqus