KC 2nd XV prove worth winners

Last Updated: Feb 3, 2014 07:02pm
Franche, Wyre Forest
By Martin Easton
Share |

KC’s first team friendly at Ludlow was called off because the Shropshire side were due to play a previously postponed league fixture.

But despite a bitterly cold biting wind Kidder’s hardy supporters turned out in decent numbers to support the 2nd XV who took on Stourport at Marlpool Lane and a competitive encounter provided some entertaining rugby which produced seven touchdowns with the home side outscoring the visitors by five tries to two.

Stourport started strongly and when KC’s backs were caught offside the visitors kicked the penalty to touch and from the 22 metre lineout they went through some good phases before an overlap put their winger in at the left corner to open the scoring.They continued to dominate possession and territory and for twenty minutes Kidder struggled to get their hands on the ball and also lost flyhalf Mike Preece with an eye problem.
Midway through the half KC’s at last sparked into action with a breakout which saw right wing Ross Ashcroft make good ground before putting a foot in touch on Stourport’s ten metre line.At the lineout KC’s won a scrum and then from ruck ball they spun the ball along the line to left wing Tom Guest.He was held up but the ball was moved back infield and centre Henry Cook,now filling in at No 10 for Preece,passed inside to veteran scrumhalf Mark James who had an easy run in to level the the scores at 5-5.
KC’s were now raising the tempo and finding gaps in Stourport’s defence.Prop Ben Turner put in a couple of damaging bursts and a quickly taken tap penalty by James saw Cook break the visitors’ tackles to score under the posts for a try which he converted himself to give the home side a 12-5 lead which was soon extended to 19-5 when a fine break by Cook created a try for prop Matt Bingham and Cook added the extras.
At the halftime whistle the hosts were looking very comfortable and the first ten minutes of the second period was all Kidderminster but they were unable to add to their score.Stourport were coming more into the game when they unfortunately lost a player with a serious injury.Play was held up for some time but on the resumption the visitors began to get on top and following a scrum thirty metres out their No 10 kicked over KC’s defence and after a foot race his hand appeared to be the first to the ball over the tryline but the ref decided otherwise.Despite this setback Stourport continued to exert pressure and won a penalty on Kidder’s 22.Strangely,considering they were still fourteen points behind,they opted to take a kick at goal but missed and KC’s were at last able to get the ball up the other end of the field.At a close range lineout a short throw to Turner at the front set up a ruck and when the ball was moved wide fullback James Whitehouse came into the line and almost got over.KC’s were,however,awarded a penalty which they ran and replacement scrumhalf Alex Thompson crossed to stretch the lead to 24-5.Preece,now restored,hit the post with an excellent conversion attempt from wide out but five minutes later a fine run down the right touchline by Ashcroft notched up KC’s fifth try.
In the very last minute some sloppy play by Kidder gifted a spirited Stourport a second try which, on the balance of play, they probably merited but overall the home side were worthy winners. 



blog comments powered by Disqus