Kenilworth End Losing Streak

Kenilworth RFC

Last Updated: Mar 9, 2016 09:21pm
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Willie Whitesmith
Share |


Barkers Butts 12 Kenilworth 27


There was much to play for in this physical encounter, that was marred by ugly scenes on the final whistle. Kenilworth come out with League points and a place in the next round of the Warwickshire Cup.



Alex Gyetvai

Harry Donal

Tom Coles

Charlie Knight


Harvey Joy 2


Harvey Joy 1


In the first 10 mins Kenilworth were camped on the Barkers 5 yard line but seemed unable to score. Then from a clearance Barkers gained possession in the Kenilworth 22 and went on to score after 4 tackles were missed. 13 mins 7 nil to Barkers. 

Kenilworth then fought back from the kick off and eventually were awarded a penalty in front of the posts. 7-3. Harvey Joy. 

Kenilworth then started a passage of play with great box kick, scrum won from the ensuing knock on. Then 2 or three phases taking the Kens deep into the 22, where Alex went over under the posts. 7-8 22 mins.  Harvey kicked the points 7-10. 

Barkers once again put pressure on the Kens and using long passes sought to play down the wing. Again por defence let them in. 12-10 No conversion. 29 mins. 

From the kick off Kenilworth won a penalty and this was kicked to about 10 yards. The resulting driving maul was brought down by Barkers but Harry Donal came off the back and made 5 yards to score. 12-15 30 mins. No conv. Half Time. 

In the second half Kenilworth upped the pressure in defence and it showed with Barkers struggling to break the gain line. At 6 mins the Barkers Fly Half threw a speculative pass to the wing but this was read by Tom Coles, who almost fumbled and fell, but managed to stay on his feet and set off over the half way line. With still much to do, he grubber kicked and the ball looked destined for touch. Only for an awkward bounce to send it inland and confuse the defence. Colesey tapped it again over the line and jumped on it to score., Great try just at the right time. 12-20 No conversion. 

Barkers had much of the possession for the next 25 mins but could not break down the Kenilworth defence despite coming close on a couple of occasions. At 33 mins Kenilworth cleared up the field and won a lineout which resulted in a rolling maul, again brought down by Barkers but the Kenilworth Forwards rampaged forward anyway all the way up to the 5 yard line. Cahrlie picked up the ball from the back of the ruck and dived over to score in the centre 12-25 34 mins. Conversion Harvey 12-27.



Kenilworth end losing streak with bonus point victory

Kenilworth returned to winning ways on Saturday with a well deserved 29-18 victory over Crewe and Nantwich on a sunny afternoon at Glasshouse Lane, writes Sophie Freestone.
Despite a poor kick off by the visitors, it was Crewe who were the first on the scoreboard, with a try after just five minutes. After a clean take from their own line out on half way, Crewe made a great break up the left wing to score, but the conversion was missed to give the visitors an early 5-0 lead.
The next 15 minutes of play saw both sides have opportunities to attack, with Kenilworth making the most of their opportunities on 21 minutes. A knock on by Crewe from a 5m line out gave Kenilworth an excellent attacking platform with a 5m scrum, and they made no mistake, with scrum half Gaz Renowden breaking through the visitors' defence to score the home side's first try of the afternoon. Josh Hickman was on target with the conversion to give his side a 7-5 lead.
Having just gone ahead for the first time in the match, Kenilworth were soon trailing by a point after No8 Kalum Goodfellow was yellow carded for a high tackle. Crewe opted to take the points, making the score 8-7 to the visitors.
With Goodfellow's sin bin approaching its conclusion, Kenilworth put themselves in a great attacking position despite being a man down. Renowden was back on the score sheet after he charged down a clearance kick on the left wing, for an easy run in, to core his second try of the match. The conversion attempt from Hickman was narrowly missed, bouncing off the post, and the home side took a 12-8 lead before being restored to 15 men for the conclusion of the second half.
With the final forty underway, it wasn't long before Kenilworth extended their lead. A great flowing move from the back line saw the ball travel the length of the pitch before reaching full back Jamie Mapletoft who scored under the posts. Hickman adding the extras from the tee, to give the home side a 19-8 lead on 45 minutes.
Crewe were soon back on the attack however, and were rewarded for their efforts with a try in the corner on 51 minutes. With the conversion missed, the gap was now closed to seven points with Kenilworth leading 19-13 with just under 30 minutes to play.
After a period of the match which once again saw both sides have attacking opportunities, it was Kenilworth who were back on the score sheet. Some great interplay between winger Joe Jepps and Mapletoft in the right corner eventually saw Jepps cross the whitewash to extend the home side's lead and earn an important bonus point. The difficult conversion was only narrowly missed by Hickman, to make the score 24-13 with 12 minutes remaining.
With the match entering its final minutes Kenilworth were once again down to fourteen men, with prop Nick Collett yellow carded for foul play, resulting in uncontested scrums for the remainder of the match. With a one man advantage, Crewe closed the gap on the scoreboard to just six points with just four minutes remaining to ensure a nervous finish for all at Glasshouse Lane.
Despite playing with a man down, Kenilworth secured victory and prevented Crewe from earning a losing bonus point, thanks to a superb solo effort from flanker Mikkel Andresen with three minutes to play. With the ball on half way, Andresen broke through the Crewe defence with some neat footwork as he ran half the length of the pitch to score and secure a first win for Kenilworth in six matches. 

The watching Former Players were well impressed!


blog comments powered by Disqus