Kenilworth Ladies Success Continues

49-5 victory against Dudley Kingswinford Vixens

Last Updated: Oct 20, 2016 09:46am
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Sophie Freestone
Share |

Kenilworth Ladies' impressive  season in the league system continued on Sunday with a 49-5 victory against Dudley Kingswinford Vixens at Glasshouse Lane.
Their fifth win in six matches across all competitions so far this season, the victory sees them climb to second in the table, just one point behind Coalville who defeated Kenilworth 5-0 on the opening day of the season.
Kenilworth started the match strongly, scoring a try after just seven minutes. Having applied a significant amount of pressure on the Vixens' 5m line, full back Helena Allison–Moore collected their kick before passing to winger Patricia McMahon who crossed in the corner. The conversion from Sarah Munday was just wide of the mark as Kenilworth secured an early 5-0 lead.
Four minutes later were back on the scoreboard, this time through winger Elena Dacullo. Kenilworth were awarded a scrum 10m out from the Vixens' try line. Number eight Caroline Spence picked the ball up from the base of the scrum and scrum half Rebecca Lane shipped passed to Dacullo who stepped inside to score on the right wing and give the hosts a 10-0 lead inside the opening 10 minutes.
A third try followed just three minutes later after a quick tap penalty on the 10m line. Some smooth handling saw the ball reach Allison-Moore who touched down on the right. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful, with the score remaining 15-0 to Kenilworth after just 13 minutes of play.
Kenilworth then made it 20 points in 20 minutes with a fourth try, this time scored by fly half Munday, after a Vixens player was sin binned for a high tackle.
The home side’s fifth try came on the half hour mark, with flanker Janine McComiskey scoring her first of the afternoon having latched on to a pass from Munday to score under the posts. Munday’s drop kick conversion sailed through the uprights to extend Kenilworth’s lead to 27 points.
McComiskey then scored her second of the afternoon, this time on the right, to give Kenilworth a 32-0 half time lead.
The second half started in dramatic style with the Vixens taken back down to 14 players after another high tackle from the same player saw them given their marching orders for the rest of the match. Kenilworth were quick to capitalise on their one man advantage, turning over a scrum in the Vixens' 22, before Spence peeled off from the back of the scrum to touch down on the right for a 37-0 advantage.
In a match where the scoreboard was very one sided, the Vixens eventually got on the scoreboard after 57 minutes. A Kenilworth knock on at the line out resulted in the Vixens' only try of the match with 23 minutes to play. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful to make the score 37-5 to Kenilworth.
With the match entering the final quarter. Kenilworth added their eighth try of the match with Christie Foster catching an inside pass from Munday to score under the posts. Munday added the extras from the tee to extend their lead by a further seven points with 20 minutes remaining.
Kenilworth’s final try of the afternoon came in the 78th minute, with Spence going over for her second of the match after the hosts were held up several times by a determined Vixens defence. Munday’s conversion was on target once again as Kenilworth secured a 49-5 victory.
Speaking after the match, Ladies coach Tim Burden said: “It was a great performance. We played some very good rugby and stuck to what we planned. We came out on top so I’m extremely pleased.
“Going into the match, Dudley Kingswinford Vixens were second in the table and that performance has now moved us up into second so it’s a fantastic result.”


blog comments powered by Disqus