Kenilworth RFC Weekend Results

Last Updated: Jan 14, 2016 07:30pm
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Willie Whitesmith
Share |

Midlands One West



Kenilworth suffered their first defeat in almost two months on Saturday, as they lost away to struggling Stoke by 22-12 on a drizzly Staffordshire afternoon, writes Sophie Freestone.
Kenilworth started the match the stronger side, with a great pick up and kick through from flanker Ollie Burnham to give Stoke a 5m line out inside their own half with just two minutes played. The home side were able to clear their lines, but only to half way, before a penalty attempt from Josh Hickman, as a result of Stoke collapsing the scrum, just drifted wide of the uprights.
Kenilworth continued to apply pressure to the hosts as the opening ten minutes came to a close. A poor line out throw from Stoke was deemed not straight to give Kenilworth a scrum, which resulted in a penalty that Hickman duly kicked to touch. From here, Stoke knocked the ball on after a kick down field from fly half Alex Selby to give the visitors a great attacking platform with a scrum inside the Stoke 22. Winger Joe Jepps made the most of the superb field position as he collected a well placed kick, once again from flanker Burnham, to score on the right hand side. The conversion was missed leaving the score at 5-0 to Kenilworth.
The game was evenly matched during the next 15 minutes, before Stoke made the most of some sloppy defending to cross under the posts. A kick downfield caused problems for full back Jamie Mapletoft deep inside his own 22, before the ball was spun left allowing Stoke to score an easily converted try for a two point lead after 25 minutes.
This was just the start of a difficult afternoon for Kenilworth as influential scrum half Gaz Renowden suffered a nasty knock to the head. This saw him leave the pitch for the remainder of the first half, forcing Kenilworth to reshuffle their back line with the returning Rhys Jones coming in on the wing.
As the half hour mark approached Stoke continued to apply the pressure and their efforts were rewarded soon after with a second try on the right wing. The score came after they turned over Kenilworth in the opposition 22, resulting in a penalty 5m from the try line, from which they scored to extend their lead to 12-5.
The first half came to a close with Kenilworth missing the opportunity to narrow the gap on the score board. A penalty after Stoke pulled a man down was kicked to touch by Hickman, only for Stoke to steal the line out, before a penalty for Kenilworth was just wide from Hickman on the stroke of half time.
As the second half began, Kenilworth once again started the brightest, boosted by the return of Renowden, who quickly took play right up to the Stoke 22 with a great run, but there was no support and Stoke regained possession. A length of the field run almost added to the home side's tally before they eventually crossed on the left wing after 50 minutes to make the score 17-5.
Renowden then made another superb run up the field as the third quarter came to a close, with Bobby Thompson and Burnham in support before Mikkel Andreson couldn't quite make the catch.
Stoke then extended their lead and secured a bonus point, scoring their fourth try, but Kenilworth responded immediately. In a well worked play which moved from left to right, the ball was nicely worked back to the left with Hickman being the man over on the wing. He touched down under the posts to simplify his conversion, which was successful, and close the gap to 22-12 with just over 10 minutes to play.
Kenilworth continued to have opportunities to score again only for them to lose a line out and be penalised for holding on. Tempers then flared up, as players from both sides became embroiled in a large scuffle, which saw Kenilworth's replacement lock Tom Lane and a Stoke player both sent to the sin bin.
Hickman then had a long range penalty attempt to secure a losing bonus point but his attempt fell agonisingly short, dipping just under the cross bar in the final kick of the match.
The result is a disappointing start to 2016 for Kenilworth and leaves them in seventh place in the league, but still with a game in hand following the abandonment of last weekend's match against Hereford. Next up for Kenilworth is Stratford at home.




Broadstreet , 2nd placed in the league, probably came to Kenilworth confident of getting a result. However, Kenilworth were up for the game much more than Broadstreet and beat them comprehensively in almost every area. The only Broadstreet try came from a breakaway, well scored down the wing.



Olly Jones

Callum Martin

Alex Gyetvai


Harvey Joy 2


Soggy pitch and wet conditions meant that this was always going to be a battle of the forwards for possession. Small margins make a difference in a game this close and for the first 28 minutes there was no score. However, the Kens made fewer mistakes and were largely camped in the Broadstreet  Half. Unable to penetrate further than the 22. 

On 29 mins Broadstreet 'knocked on' the ball under pressure, the ref playing advantage, allowed the kick through by Harvey the scrum half. This was followed through by Olly, who beat the Broadstreet player to the ball and kicked it forward perfectly, for the the ball to stop 1 metre behind the Broadstreet Try line. Olly got there first, virtually under the post. TRY. 5 Nil 29 mins. Harv kicked the conversion 7 Nil. 

The ½ time talk worked well for Kenilworth. From the kick off the Kens forwards stopped Broadstreet slowing down our ball and Kenilworth started to get real momentum into the forward play. 5 mins in, Broadstreet failed to stop a move up the centre from the wing. Offloaded to Harv then 5 phases of rampaging ball up the centre over the 22. Then out to the wing though 2 hands and score by Callum in the corner 12 Nil no conversion. 5mins 2nd half. 

The game continued in much the same vane until 10mins 2nd half, after the Kens score. The forwards lost a ball forward near the half way line. Broads starved of possession, put it strait out to the winger who beat 3 pretty poor tackles to run in and score under the posts. 12-7. Game on. 

This score seemed to re-invigorate Kenilworth who set about Broadstreet and contested everything. For 20 mins Kenilworth remained in the Broadstreet half apart from 2 occasions when break away attempts forced them back into their own 22. On 2 occasions the game could have gone either way despite all the possession that Kenilworth had enjoyed. 

On 33 mins Kenilworth started the move that won the game on the half way line. With virtually every forward involved they drove from the half way line off loading and popping balls to reach beyond the 22. A final ball to Alex in the centre, who took the ball at speed. Breaking 2 tackles and over under the post to seal the game. 17-7. Harv converted 19-7. 

That’s a big win against a team unbeaten apart from by Nuneaton, who we should have beaten as well only losing in the last 2 mins. 

I am awaiting other results but we hope to be 2nd placed now with a game in hand.



Kenilworth Ladies bowed out of the Women's Junior Cup on Sunday with a valiant performance in a 15-7 third round defeat at home to Midlands National Challenge 1 side Bletchley Ladies. Playing against a side that included Scotland international Caroline Collie, it was a strong performance from Kenilworth in what was a tight game, writes Sophie Freestone. 

Kenilworth started well, and found some good field positions, but Bletchley were the first on the score sheet with a try on the right from Becky Driscoll after 11 minutes, which the visitors added to five minutes later with a try from centre Caroline Collie to give the visitors a 10-0 lead with quarter of an hour played. 

The remainder of the first half was a tight affair with both sides having opportunities to add to the score board, but the opening forty minutes finished with Bletchley holding on to their 10 point lead. 

With the second half underway, some good play from Kenilworth took them towards Bletchley's 22, where number 8 Caroline Spence caught Bletchley by surprise with a trademark brilliant break that took her just short of the try line. With play heading to the right of the posts, some quick thinking from fly half Sarah Munday spotted space out wide on the left to allow centre Gemma Gilleece to open Kenilworth's account. Munday was successful with the conversion to close the gap to just three points.

As the game entered the final quarter, Bletchley piled on the pressure to the home side but Kenilworth's strong defence was excellent as they twice held up the visitors from five metres out on the left hand side. Bletchley's perseverance paid off however, with replacement Cazzandra Kay going over from short range with 11 minutes remaining. The conversion dipped just below the cross bar to keep the score at 17-5 to Bletchley, which was how it remained until the final whistle. 

Despite the defeat, it was a great game in which Kenilworth played some great rugby, against a side top of their league, in what is still their inaugural season. 


blog comments powered by Disqus