Key Game Action & Results

Sunday 14th February 2016

Last Updated: Feb 14, 2016 07:40pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

We definitely had some love from above on Valentine's Day as the weather gods played their part which allowed 18 games to be played and potentially more would of been but for a player injury, a forfeit and a late postponement due to a dangerous pitch surface. Thankfully the important cup games were played and this gives us a bit more direction on how the next 4 weeks or so will pan out, plus the level of midweek games needed.
Firstly we'd like to wish Laburnum's Richard Waite a speedy recovery after he picked up a potentially serious knee injury in his side's game at Stoke Prior which got abandoned on 65 minutes accordingly. Stoke Prior were 5-0 up at the time and they will need to await a decision on the fate of the game. With Thomas Brothers’ home game against Belbroughton falling victim to a very dangerous soggy muddy surface and Lickey End being unable to field a side at WCT Youth Raiders, these were the only games which didn’t complete today, with two other matches being postponed yesterday after groundsman decisions.
We'll start in the Kidderminster Hospital Cup and out of the five ties played, we managed to squeeze three more opponents through into the next phases. Most impressive and largest win margin was Awkies Allstars who thrashed Mostyn C4L in their Minor Cup tie by an 8-2 scoreline but undoubtedly helped by the hosts losing their heads with two red cards and a flurry of bookings. Take nothing away from The Bears though and in particular hot striker Jason Gibbons who netted his 11th goal in two weeks to set the foundations for victory. Further goals were added by Chris Fox (on a rare goalscoring run himself), Kurt Hoban and Tom Mooney (the latter a majestic overhead kick) although Awkies were sloppy letting Mostyn back into the game after taking a two goal lead. Hizza United also had a difficult tie away at Netherton but they came away with a fine 3-1 win, goals from the in-form Ash Verity (brace) and Scott Young. 
In the Junior Cup, all of these games Round 3 ties, Alcester Town lost 5-0 to crack Kidderminster League side Woodside United (no complaints at the result from Richard Briggs) whilst Rubery Athletic couldn't hold onto their single goal lead given to them by who else but Andy Court, as they eventually ran out of [censored] to lose 4-1 against Stourport Swifts; This game nearly didn’t go ahead as Swifts turned up to the booked pitch without nets meaning the game ended up going back to their parent ground Stourport Swifts FC to get played! Good news for Stoke Sporting though as they had a fine 1-0 win over Areley Kings, an established long-standing Kidderminster side,  thanks to Jon Snell using his height effectively to loop the ball home from Simon Steele's pass. Improving midfielder/striker Peter Warman also struck the bar but Stoke were under the pump at the end as they had to dig in to get the result with Tom Westwood holding it all together in the heart of the defence. 
In internal cups, we had THREE semi-finals today (not initially planned like that!) and we'd like to recognise the efforts made by Colin Mortiboys our referees secretary for ensuring that all these games went ahead with 3 officials. Couple of cricket scorelines though, surprisingly, with one excellent very tight game. In the LMS Shield, VBGF made it to the final for the fifth successive season (they've won the shield for the past 4 years) and they'll be looking to make unprecedented history by winning it again, but they had a hell of a fright against Division 1 leaders Northfield Athletic who played their part in a superb game and advert for the league. Northfield nearly went ahead after 3 minutes as Josh Moore hit the crossbar. A cat and mouse first half ensued and the teams went into the break at 0-0. Into the second half and VBGF took the lead on 54 minutes from a free kick where Scott Smith netted. VBGF nearly doubled the lead on 64 minutes but some fine defending and goalkeeping at point blank range prevented this. On 75 minutes, Moore missed a one on one to equalise for Northfield and on 77, Shaun May should of put VBGF 2-0 up rounding the keeper only to [censored] the post. In the dying embers of the game, May did net and finally put the game to bed. A tremendous contest but VBGF just had enough quality to make it through. Their final opponents will either be Alcester Town or Bartley Green Sunday who play at 1215pm next Sunday on Hadley Stadium 3G if anyone wants to go and watch.
The Rose Bowl final (Sunday 6th March), will be contested between Rubery FC and Callowbrook Green FC after the former's 10-2 demolition of Chaddesley Reserves who didn’t know what had hit them in a horror first half show which saw them pulled all over the place by a confident and rampant Rubery side. Our reporter arrived on site just in time to see the third goal go in and when the Chadds goalkeeper made a mess of a through ball to leave a simple tap-in for Goal 4, you sensed it wasn't going to plan for the villagers with Martin Westcott desperately trying to change his formation mid-game to stem the flow. The fifth goal came when experienced left back Matt Guise dallied on the ball outside the area after receiving a short pass, which ended up in him passing it straight to a Rubery shirt and their attackers soon had the ball in the net to dish out the suitable punishment. Brogan Halpin, a lively Rubery attacker, was instrumental in the 6th as his snapshot was parried and a simple tap in ensued. Gaz Moriarty's strike just before the break gave the home side some hope, but 5 goals down and with Nathan Steward deciding to come off, it appeared Chaddesley had no chance of reversing the scoreline. To their credit, they more than held their own for long periods of the second half with Adam Westcott netting a nice goal and Moriaty/Guise having chances to score but Rubery simply upped the tempo late on and the four late goals gave the scoreline a harsh but deserved look. Ruberys goalscorers were [censored] 'Pirlo' Behan (5), Brogan Halpin, Rhys Forbes, Mitchell Mansfield and Lewis McPike. Rubery will enter the Rose Bowl final as favourites and on this display, it's not hard to see why.
In the Bridgwater semi-final, Division 2 side Meadow Park got the better of Division 3 side Callowbrook Green and by another large scoreline 9-1! This game got reversed to the plush surroundings of Harris Brush as opposed to the Boleyn Road molehills and Meadow took full advantage of their own surroundings to win convincingly. Sean Chance was the hero netting four with Karl Cooper also striking two long range drives for his goals, with further net-pingers from Craig Barnett, Connor Cashmore and Max Crisp. For Dan Vale of Callowbrook though, his sending off for a denial of a goalscoring opportunity will see him suspended for the Rose Bowl final, as this is his second red card of the season, a real blow indeed. Callowbrook were very gracious in defeat though recognising that Meadow had played some really good football.
We haven't played much WA Harris Cup football recently but another couple of first round games were ticked off today as Rednal Social Club and Conway Albion progressed into Round 2, the latter playing their first game since 13th December 2015! Both sides won 5-1 and in terms of Rednal Social Club, it was a second half display which finally broke down the stubborn rear-guard new LPR manager Mal Williams had constructed. Kyle Morrison put Rednal ahead from a corner before Josh Sweeney got a second, with goal machine Ben Markall fizzing a 25 yarder in for the third goal. Further goals from Mitchell Parker and Markall's second sandwiched either side of an LPR consolation, saw the hosts home. Down at Pershore 3G, Conway Albion saw off their potential banana skin without too many issues, beating Stoke Sporting Reserves from two divisions below 5-1; Conway have now been able to clear 3 key suspensions by playing this match so they'll be hoping to build momentum  in next week's game at Northfield Athletic; Talking of suspensions, Ollie Clayton netted for Stoke on his return from a period on the sidelines for a sending off.
In the Division 1 cup quarter-final, thanks to Sporting Rednal who switched their match late on to Droitwich Leisure Centre with Silver Street again deemed unplayable; Unfortunately their efforts were not rewarded as Chaddesley Corbett (firsts) saw them off 5-0 in what appears to be a routine win with Alex Dugmore netting four and we think Matt Neale. We await Matt Fludgate’s report on Monday.
League action in the Premier Division saw Oak Tree Sporting run out 5-2 winners against The Grove down at Charford International. Bit of a struggle for OTS though who fell behind and missed a penalty, but they eventually got their noses in front and kicked on to take the three points home. Lee Jagger's brace was supplemented by Rory Milbourne, Shane Tickle and Richard Lynch netting.
In Division One, Bartley Green Sunday played at Illey Lane for the first time since the start of November and it was home sweet home for them as they beat Wychbold RBL 4-0 with braces for Dom Strevens and Danny Lawrence, one of Danny's goals being a superb 20 yard curler. This completes the double over the pre-season title favourites and  Bartley are now just one point behind Northfield with a better goal difference at this stage. GLA meanwhile did a quickfire double over AFC Northfield having won the reverse fixture two weeks ago, this time by a 3-0 scoreline thanks to goals from Mark Burrell and Chris Eacock (one assist for Matt Bedford). The game was however full of incident as Referee Jake Mason brandished 3 red cards, Stee Collett going for GLA and Sam Chilton/Richard Dugmore for AFCN to leave manager Nick Clarke needing a lie down in a dark room. Bromsgrove United consolidated their mid-table position, now 7 points clear in fifth place, as they saw off Spa Athletic 5-3 who were late arriving to the ground having been unable to find it! Bromsgrove's goals came from Jordan Allmark and Michael Hegarty (both scored twice) with Brad Bullimore also on target. Bromsgrove's Scott Bagley meanwhile  got needlessly sent off. 
In Division Two, Rubery Juniors also finally played football after an extended weather break but the youngsters showed no signs of being rusty as they beat Bromsgrove Brentnal 3-0 who have come back from their winter break seemingly struggling with fitness as recent post match reports have highlighted tired legs late on. Juniors took the lead after 15 minutes or so as debutant Nathan Derrick netted, following a free kick from another new lad Dom Partridge. In the second half, Jack Clements shot hit the bar and Ash Khan, rumoured to be quitting adult football last month, followed up to give the hosts a two goal buffer. Derrick's second on the hour mark gave them an unassailable lead and they saw the game out with ease. Sporting Club Redditch are the final game in this week's report and they went down 2-1 at Hewell with the prison side scoring a belter late on to take the points and leave SCR in trouble at the foot of the table although they still have about 60% of their league programme to play so all isn't lost at all!
So onto next Sunday and hopefully today's breakthrough in terms of getting games played, continues as it would be nice to keep everyone playing regularly now. The LMS semi-final on 3G should go ahead as planned barring any major disasters whilst a Redditch derby in the Centenary Cup quarter-final (Chaps v Hizza) is another important match that needs playing. VBG Fairfield travel to Thomas Brothers in the Evesham Hospital Cup, let's hope the HDA has dried out as it was soaking today, whilst in-form sides Stoke Sporting and Meadow Park play in the WA Harris Cup. A good fixture pool all over for you to get stuck into.


Oak Tree Sporting 5 (Jagger 2, Milbourne, Lynch, Tickle), The Grove 2
Bartley Green Sunday 4 (Strevens 2, Lawrence 2), Wychbold RBL 0
Bromsgrove United 5 (Allmark 2, Hegarty 2, Bullimore), Spa Athletic 3
GLA 3 (Burrell 2, Eacock), AFC Northfield 0
Rubery Juniors 3 (Derrick 2, A Khan), Bromsgrove Brentnal 0
Sporting Club Redditch 1 (Shaw), Hewell 2
Stoke Prior 5, Laburnum 0 (Abandoned 65 minutes due to player injury)
Rednal Social Club 5 (Markall 2, Morrison, Sweeney, Parker), LPR 1
Stoke Sporting Reserves 1, Conway Albion 5
VBG Fairfield 2 (Smith, May), Northfield Athletic 0
Callowbrook Green 1, Meadow Park 9
Chaddesley Corbett Reserves 2 (Moriaty, Westcott), Rubery 10 (BEHAN 5, Smith, Forbes, Mcpike, Mansfield, Halpin)
Sporting Rednal 0, Chaddesley Corbett 5 
Stourport Swifts 4, Rubery Athletic 1 (Court)
Woodside United 5, Alcester Town 0
Stoke Sporting 1 (Snell), Areley Kings 0
Mostyn C4L 2, Awkies Allstars 8 (GIBBONS 5, Fox, Hoban, Mooney)
Netherton 1, Hizza United 3 (Verity 2, Young)


blog comments powered by Disqus