Late Burton Try Seals the Deal

Kenilworth 1st XV 10 - Burton 16

Last Updated: Nov 18, 2015 10:04pm
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Willie Whitesmith
Share |

Kenilworth slipped to their fourth consecutive league defeat on Saturday as they were beaten 16-10 at home by Burton, who are new to this league having been relegated at the end of last season, writes Sophie Freestone.

In a tight game at Glasshouse Lane, it was Burton that had the first opportunity to put points on the board as Kenilworth were penalised for offside after just two minutes. The kick was successful, and Burton took a 3-0 lead. Five minutes later, they had the opportunity to double their advantage as Kenilworth gave away a second penalty for being offside but this time the ball went wide of the posts.

As the first quarter drew to a close, Kenilworth had a good period of possession, taking play inside the Burton half, as the visitors conceded numerous penalties. After 20 minutes, the referee blew for a penalty to Kenilworth but the home side were unable to kick the points.

With 25 minutes gone, Kenilworth were once again awarded a penalty, this time for a tackle around the neck from a Burton player. Although Kenilworth missed the kick to touch, they were soon back in possession and a superb kick through from lock Dan Careless once again gave them fantastic field position just inside the Burton 22. The ball eventually made its way to winger Joe Jepps who made a fantastic curving run which resulted in a Kenilworth penalty.

The play that followed gave Kenilworth a 5m scrum and a subsequent 5m line out. Unfortunately the throw was not straight, a mistake that proved costly as Burton attacked down the left to score the first try of the match after 33 minutes. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful to leave the score 8-0 to the visitors. As the half drew to a close Burton looked to build on their lead but Kenilworth held on.

Kenilworth made a strong start to the second half and a charge down inside Burton's 22 from scrum half Gareth Renowden led to a try from Ed Hannam that Alex Selby duly converted to close the gap to just one point, at 8-7 to Burton.

Kenilworth then extended their lead to 10-8 on 50 minutes thanks to another penalty from Selby before Burton once again took the lead with a penalty of their own to give the visitors a one point advantage.

The momentum of play changed hands for the remainder of the third quarter before Kenilworth had a great chance to regain the lead on 60 minutes. Having applied pressure inside the Burton 22, Kenilworth were rewarded with a line out in a great position, but it was an opportunity wasted and Burton cleared their lines.

The remainder of the game saw Burton apply consistent pressure on the Kenilworth defence and they were rewarded with a 75th minute unconverted try to seal a 16-10 victory.

Photo: File pic


blog comments powered by Disqus