Leek 1st XV 18 - 5 Kenilworth 1st XV

Last Updated: Apr 20, 2016 09:28pm
Kenilworth, Warwick
By Willie Whitesmith
Share | gives various synonyms for the word “frustration” including annoyance, dissatisfaction, failure, grievance and irritation. Another word to add to that list could be “Kenilworth”! writes Peter Jones. 

After a very impressive victory over Hereford 2 weeks earlier, Kenilworth slipped to a second successive away defeat. The home side, Leek, are propping up the bottom of the league and were already doomed to relegation but were much more the composed side of the two. 

Matters did not start well when stand out backrow forward, Mikkel Andresen, injured himself in the warm up and had to be replaced by Ed Hannam and he was one of Kenilworth more impressive  players on a generally disappointing day. 

Few aspects of Kenilworth’s game fared well with the notable exception of the scrummage where Dan Roberts, despite his attempts to dig an escape tunnel from the No 3 shirt, is developing into a very solid tight head prop.   The line out was poor, however, and Kenilworth were slow in thought and deed at the breakdown. 

Several of the Kenilworth players looked below par.  Captain Sam Went was struggling with a repetition of his knee injury and Kalum Goodfellow was struggling with what can be politely described as an intestinal problem.    

Various individuals made brave attempts to get the side moving including the ever energetic Gareth Renowden, Josh Hickman at outside centre (later moving to fly half), wing Joe Jepps, Ollie Burman and full back Jamie Mapletoft but they were largely individual efforts swimming against the Leek tide.   

The support was too slow and at crucial stages Kenilworth’s handling was poor under pressure. Marcus Andrew, Josh Fox and Rhys Jones came on as substitutes at around half time but were unable to make an impact. 

Leek opened the scoring with 2 penalties in quick succession and then offloaded well to score their first try after about 20 minutes.  The kick was converted leaving the score 13:0 where it stayed until half time. 

After 64 minutes Kalum Goodfellow used his not insubstantial bulk to crash over for a try in the corner.  The kick was missed. 

Leek soon responded, however, to put the score at 18:5. The last 10 minutes were distinguished by 3 events.  First, it started snowing which is odd in mid April to say the least.  Leek then succeeded in giving away 2 completely unnecessary yellow cards putting them down to 13 men.  Despite this, Kenilworth could not score against them and the game finished at 18:5. We are sad to say goodbye to Leek who are the most social of hosts and a club with a marvellous community spirit. We hope to see them back in our league in 12 months.  

We have the core of a good Kenilworth side with some very talented young players but to this observer they seemed to be lacking not only in maturity but also in leadership and confidence on the field.  There is much good to come from this team and they are safe from relegation for this season .We look forward to the side maturing and developing a more stable pattern next season.


blog comments powered by Disqus