Leicestershire Take the Honours

Leicestershire RFU 41 v Warwickshire RFU 30

Last Updated: May 21, 2014 06:21am
Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick
By David Barry
Share |

In a winner takes all encounter at Hinckley RFC's Leicester Road ground, it was the home side who took the honours in a high scoring match. But it was not without incident with each team having a player "sin-binned".

On the hottest Saturday of the year with the 22C temperature, both teams were playing a fast passing game with most of the play alternating between each side's 22 metre line. After 13 minutes Warwickshire took the lead with a penalty converted by Huw Thomas. Leicestershire had a persistent period of pressure in the visitors 22 metre zone, and on 24 minutes were rewarded with a try by South Leicester's Andy Gates, with his team mate Mark Lord converting. Warwickshire took the lead on the half hour when Theo Knight started a move inside their 22 metre area with the ball being passed along the backs line with Andy Murray speeding in from 25 metres to score an unconverted try in the corner. The lead changed hands almost on half-time when in a further period of sustained pressure by the home side, the host club's M Fearn scored a try with Mark Lord converting.

Half time: Leicestershire 14 points v Warwickshire 8 points

The home side started the second half as they finished the first. In the second minute, a fine phase of rugby culminating with G Kerr running in a try. Mark Lord converting. Six minutes later Warwickshire scored a try when replacement Sam Gibbons crashed over the line. Huw Thomas converting. Leicestershire were now beginning to get the measure of the visitors and they increased their lead with a penalty conversion by Mark Lord in 51st minute. However, in the 56th minute, Leicestershire's Mark Lord was yellow-carded for infringing and Huw Thomas duly converted the resultant penalty. During the time of Lord's absence, the home side increased their lead significantly with a penalty (60 mins) by D Weston, a second try (65 mins) for G Kerr, converted by Weston. It was during this passage of play that Warwickshire's Phil Reed received a serious ankle injury which required hospital treatment.

With ten minutes remaining Warwickshire captain Chris Wood scored an unconverted try. This followed a yellow card issued to the visitor's Chris Zutic. The heat was now taking its toll with a regular exchange of replacements being made by both teams. In the 75th minute, Leicestershire made the game safe with a try by scrum half and host club favourite Kenny McFedries. Mark Lord converting. In the dying moments, Warwickshire scored their fourth try when Aaron Croft dived over the line, with Huw Thomas converting.



15 M Culpin ( Hinckley)

14 L Robinson (South Leicester)

13 D Weston (South Leicester)

12 A Gates (South Leicester)

11 G Kerr (South Leicester)

10 M Lord (South Leicester)

9 K McFedries (Hinckley)

8 C Bale (South Leicester)

7 J McLaurin ( South Leicester)

6 M Fearn (Hinckley)

5 M Deaville (Hinckley)

4 S Bale (South Leicester)

3 D Peck (Hinckley)

2 L Coltman (South Leicester) Capt.

1 Rn McNaughton (South Leicester)


16 E Hopkins  (South Leicester)

17 B Marshall (Hinckley)

18 J Lorriman (Syston)

19 C Gibbs (South Leicester)

20 B Howe (Hinckley)

21 J Smith (Hinckley)

22 M Evans (Leicester Vipers)


1 Jon PATEMAN (Nuneaton),
2 Nick Smith (Nuneaton), 

3 Nick WALTON (Newbold); 

4 Llyr GRIFFITHS (Nuneaton); 

5 Aaron Crofts (Old Coventrians), 

6 Andrew Dockary (Nuneaton

7 KJ Henry (Nuneaton)

8 Chris WOOD (Capt.) (Broadstreet);       

9 Nick THATCHER (Broadstreet),

10 Huw Thomas (Nuneaton);

11 Nyle Beckett (Kenilworth)

12 Alex WHITE (Sutton Coldfield),

13 Phil Reed (Newbold)

14 Alex MURRAY (Broadstreet)

15 Theo Knight (Nuneaton)


16 Paul Wilkes (Old Coventrians)

17 Darren Dean (Newbold)

18 Matt Gibbs (Nuneaton)

19 Sam Gibbons (Nuneaton)

20 Chris Zutic (Broadstreet)

21 Rob Watts (Sutton Coldfield)

22 Elliot Brown (Nuneaton)


blog comments powered by Disqus