Longlevens a step closer to dream final

Liskeard looe 17 - 38 longlevens

Last Updated: Feb 6, 2014 05:22pm
Longlevens, Gloucester
By Simon Barton
Share |

Longlevens travelled to stormy Cornwall on the Friday night with their fingers crossed, with the uncertainty of their cup match being on.

However on match day the sun was out and the pitch was 'just' playable thanks to some hard work by the home teams ground staff.
Things didn't get off to a great start when scrum half Mike Hagan was yellow carded following a dispute at the ruck.
However The away side took the lead following a some decent field position and following a fine break by jake kitson he set up winger Harry Yorke to out strip the home defence. Full back jack beck converted the extras Liskeard were quick to counter back and with a man down they worked an over lap blind and there number 8 avoided the cover tacklers.
With half time closing they scored again after a robust driving maul after levens had kept them at bay following some great defence by Matt LodgeSteve Davis and Josh Lyons.
At half time levens knew they had the wind and superior fitness and produced an exceptional spell of rugby that blew the home side away with 17 unanswered points in under 10 mins of play.
Mike Hagan slotted a penalty to the score board rolling, before he off loaded to jake kitson who broke the defensive link to feed supporting flanker Andrew Royce who pinned his ears back and made the line from 30 metres out.
With confidence oozing levens set up quick phase play and went wide to there pacey backs and centre Tom griffith continued his impressive for. To weave his way through the defence and score.
Flyer Harry Yorke wasn't to be outshone and following further wide play marshalled by fly half Craig Barden, saw Yorke outstrip 5 covering tackles as he exploded down the touchline from his own 22.
With the home side and decent crowd now silenced, levens put the game to bed when Craig Barden found a gap in the flagging defence and unselfishly feed Tom griffiths to dive over under the posts.
Mike Hagan had a 100% kicking record in the game with 5 conversions and a penalty.
Levens saw further tries go a miss with Eddie Cross missing out narrowly as the ball failed to sit up following a loose kick and chase.
As the game came to a close liskeard threw everything they had left into attack and in spite of some robust defence for the likes of Gavin Stokes And captain Jed Jones they finally crossed over for a consultation try. Making the score 17-38 at the close
Levens and their fans rejoiced and certainly enjoyed a great evening of celebrations led by president Richard Yorke.
Levens next have Marlborough rfc at home on the 22nd of February and would welcome a big crowd to come and support them with twickenham on the horizon



blog comments powered by Disqus