Meadow Park Take Bridgwater Title

Bromsgrove & District Football League

Last Updated: Mar 14, 2016 06:56pm
Abbey, Redditch
By Simon Burgess
Share |

A lovely spring like day was the prelude to the evening’s entertainment of the Bridgwater Cup Final, played out in front an amazing attendance of 427 which is a record for the Bridgwater competition itself. The spectators were treated to another 5 goal fest as Meadow Park FC won their first ever BDFL trophy with a 5-0 victory against fellow Division 2 side Hizza United and they received their medals and the cup off the Bridgwater family who were once again in attendance supporting the event.


Meadow Park, a team packed with experienced old heads, settled into the final well and were ahead inside two minutes although ironically it was one of their youngsters who netted as Max Crisp steered the ball home from 8 yards as it fell kindly to him in the box. Hizza looked shell-shocked and were seemingly struggling to settle as the finals experience seemed to un-nerve them. Andy Crowther nearly put Meadow further ahead on 14 minutes but in the 15th minute they did just this as the stylish Rob Southwell, both in appearance and playing style, netted and then celebrated with his traditional cartwheel celebration in front of the Rousler’s bar. The game then went into its shell with Hizza struggling to fashion out clear cut chances despite Ash Verity’s strong running and Meadow seemed content to sit on what they had showing excellent game management. Into the second half and disaster struck for Hizza inside 5 minutes as they conceded what went down as two own goals in the space of four minutes at the start of the half to put the game out of sight. Hizza didn’t crumble though and their best chance of a breakthrough came on 55 minutes when Ben Ford’s free kick beat the wall but was comfortable dinner for Josh Goddard in the Meadow goal. Meadow had a great chance for a fifth on 65 minutes when a fine Crowther cross was flicked wide by the on-rushing Sean Chance; On 72, left back Matt Russell tried his luck but his effort flew wide. On 78, the fifth goal did indeed come and it was Chance who netted to seal the momentous club victory. Congratulations to Meadow Park and last night’s win marked what could be the start of a very successful end of season period for the lads from Harris Brush Works. 


Congratulations are also due to the Allstars, that’s the ones of the Awkies variety, after they battled into the Worcester Nursing Minor Cup Final for the first time, this after winning a tense penalty shootout after a 120 minute stalemate with FC Korono from the Worcester League. Richard Beesley the ex-right back turned goalkeeper made a number of crucial shoot out saves to seal the victory and book a place in the 3rd April showdown where they may face Hizza, who themselves have a semi-final next week against Colwall Village.  


Evesham Hospital Cup success was also on show yesterday as Rubery Athletic recorded a fine Junior Cup result against Worcester League Premier side Perrywood who had clearly underestimated Ian Rushton’s men as Rubery stormed into a 3 goal lead c/o of Martin Byfield, Jack Berry and Reiss O Connor. A second half comeback by Perrywood in the final 20 minutes set up a grandstand finish to no avail and we await the draw with much interest. Not such good news from Sidemoor Rec where AFC Millfields crashed out of the Minor Cup after losing 3-2 to Cropthorne despite goals from Stu Hatfield and Ashley Roland; Millies cause was not helped by Ben Craddock’s second red card of the season and he’ll now miss a further chunk of games for his misdemeanors. Bromsgrove United also lost out in the Junior Cup, 2-1 to Alcester Town from the Evesham League. 


In the Premier Cup Semi-Final, WCT Youth Raiders lost out on their chance of a first ever BDFL final as they crashed out 5-2 to fellow league newcomers Alcester Town who instead reach their first ever BDFL final; WCT’s cause was not helped by goalkeeper Dan Stephens being sent off for denial of a goalscoring opportunity whilst Anthony Smith also saw the daylight of Referee Tom Palmer’s red card leaving them with 9 men and Alcester eventually took full advantage of the numerical advantage. They took the lead after 20 minutes when star midfield workhorse Lewis Marston netted after fine link up play from Listowel Fereday. In the second half, WCT equalized before Ellis Kalach lashed home a clinical volley before Stephens’s red card saw Kyle Xavier net the resulting penalty. WCT hit back with another goal and then Ryan Young saved Alcester’s bacon with a fine save to deny an equalizer. Alcester then put the game to bed as Jay Gifford netted from an Adam Thornton assist, before Kalach got his second with a nice lob to send Richard Briggs into dreamland. 


A dead rubber LMS Shield group game between Wychbold RBL and Belbroughton Athletic always had the potential to be feisty, despite there being nothing actually riding on the game and this proved to be the case as Wychbold not only lost the game 2-1, but ended up with 10 men after Reece Maycroft saw red. Mitchell Yardley got their goal. 


In the Division 1 Cup Quarter-Final ties, one result went to the formbook and the bookies expectations whilst the other proved to be a bit of a shock; We’ll start with that shock and AFC Northfield stunned Stoke Sporting in another game which turned ridiculously feisty as Referee Macilravey was kept a busy man. Calm before the storm for 38 minutes until Stoke took the lead from a header at the near post, before both sides were reduced to 10 on 42 when Martin Andrews was dismissed for the home side after reacting to a melee; Not sure which Stoke player got sent off at this stage but it was either Ben Johnson or Matt Peters. With the game reaching the dying embers and Stoke looking likely to cling on, AFCN won a penalty which former Hare and Hounds schemer Luke Dugmore smashed home before the second Stoke red on 88 minutes after Ashan Thomas was scythed down. With a penalty shootout looming, left back Matt Kenny picked up the ball and decided to charge into the box, dodged several tackles and then smashed it home to spark wild scenes with home manager Nick Clarke running around the surrounding area punching the air and dancing around like a partygoer in a Spanish nightclub. A fine victory for AFC Northfield who will now face Chaddesley Corbett in the semi-finals but they are nervously awaiting the release of the date of the game with some unavailability looming. In the other quarter-final, BGIS (who have reverted to this ‘nickname’ in recent weeks) had a comfortable 4-1 win at Conway Albion, who just couldn’t get going after Carl Martin and Dan Lawrence netted early doors. BGIS controlled the rest of the half and the early part of the second half until Alex Mitchell slipped and Conway were back in it. Any nervous heart pulses were laid to rest on 78 minutes when Connor Collins netted a third to put the tie beyond Conway and Ryan Gardiner added a fourth for good measure late on. 


With no games in the Premier Division this week after a late forfeit by The Grove, the focus was on other divisions and in Division 1, another brace from Alex Dugmore set the foundations for Chaddesley’s 4-0 win over GLA to secure a quick fire league double over the Charford based side; Ryan Rhino Moore netted another as did Adam Westcott stepping up to the first team from the reserves with no real problems. Dugmore meanwhile has his eyes on scoring 6 more goals which would break the record for most goals in a season for the villagers! There was a dramatic game at Droitwich Leisure Centre where Spa Athletic hosted a Northfield Athletic team who had bounced back to form last week. Despite dominating possession for most of the first half, Northfield found it very difficult to break down a resolute Spa defence significantly strengthened by Steve Williams making his debut as well as a very determined midfield and front line where Luke Rainbow ran his socks off. Northfield just couldn’t get a proper foothold in the game and despite Jon Myrie and Michael Teji in the midfield, passes regularly went astray as they couldn’t get going. They paid the ultimate price as Spa hit three first half goals in 16 minutes to take a fully deserved 3-0 half time lead, each time the Northfield defence left standing like statues and even the normally reliable Michael ‘ Safe Hands’ Kane was far from that as he let a weak shot trickle underneath him at his near post. At half-time, Chris Bench was shocked and embarrassed at what he had seen but left the roasting to his assistant manager as he paced up and down the touchline like a bear on heat. Whatever was said or translated across did indeed have a dramatic effect as Northfield, who made changes with Paul Newman and Danny Hill entering the field, came roaring back in the second period to win the game 4-3 thanks to a hat-trick from Josh Moore and a bullet header from Myrie. One sensed that as soon as the first Northfield goal came on 57 minutes, Moore racing away to lob ‘Spud’ in the Spa goal after a long ball from Jordan Campbell, that more would follow; Indeed the second on 65 was Myrie’s header before a fine flick finish from Moore on 68 levelled the game; About 7 minutes later on 75, Moore’s low shot trickled home and Spa had run out of ideas by now, although Tom Harris fizzed a 30 yard left footer straight at Kane which reminded Northfield the game was far from over. Hard to know how to sum up the match other than a game of two halves; Ultimately Northfield did well to come back but Spa will be absolutely kicking themselves for allowing the lead to slip as a lack of game management cost them. 


Four games in Division 2 and the 15 goal thriller served up at Woodgate Country Park went the way of the home side, Woodgate Valley, as they put Bridgefield to the sword who suffered their 13th successive league defeat. This was despite a hat-trick from angry midfielder Luke Hancock and one from Kieran Cook/Ricardo Manouchehri. Woodgate got on the scoresheet thanks to hat-tricks from Jamie Sippitts and Jake Wicketts, with a brace from Josh Fergusson plus one each from the injury prone pair of Alex Griffiths Hughes and Sam Varney (penalty). League leaders Rednal Social Club went four points clear at the top thanks to a 5-1 win at struggling Rubery Juniors who had initially taken the lead through Dominic Partridge after Martin Hollinshead provided the assist. A similar story then evolved for the Baytree Farm youngsters as they collapsed defensively and allowed the opposition to ultimately run away with the game, Connor Wilson and Brad Murphy netting before half-time. Wilson netted again in the second half, as did Oli Pugh and debutant Steve Cumberton to make the points safe for Rednal. Hewell beat Sporting Club Redditch 2-1, the only consolation for Redditch being Ryan Field’s goal on his 99th club appearance whilst Chaps United beat Bromsgrove Brentnal 2-1; Two teams who we hear very little off so are unable to provide any further match details. 


In Division 3, Callowbrook Green bounced back from last week’s Rose Bowl Final defeat with a comprehensive 5-0 win over Arrow Valley, ironically the cup final scoreline they lost by; Jimmy Ward netted a hat-trick with one each for the speed merchant Jack Steele and Luke Wyatt. Stoke Prior won their replayed game against Laburnum 3-1 (we thought Abi Maycroft was in a good mood at the final!), whilst Stoke Sporting Reserves and Bromsgrove Corinthians shared the points in a 3-3 contest; Usual goalscorers for the Corries, Alex Beck/Tom Mason and Ed Tear. 


Next week’s fixture list also provides some fun and games for everyone to enjoy especially our cup final and the long awaited clash between VBG Fairfield and Bartley Green Illey Sunday (BGIS), the first time the two giant-hitters have played each other. VBGF are chasing an astonishing fifth successive LMS Shield victory whilst BGIS play what is likely to be the first of several finals. It will be a good test for both sides and it’s in the same place and time as usual, 630pm at Bromsgrove Sporting FC. We have Hizza United chasing Nursing Cup glory as they travel to Colwall searching for a final place on what would end up being an all BDFL cup final with Awkies Allstars awaiting. We have a Division 1 derby between Wychbold RBL and Stoke Sporting and a tasty Round 2 WA Harris Cup match between Northfield Athletic and Rubery Athletic which is a true derby game. Bromsgrove Charity Cup Semi-Final day is also upon us, Meadow Park, WCT Youth and Bromsgrove United all participate so we are guaranteed at least one finalist in that one too – It’s a great time to be involved with and a part of the BDFL, so why not get yourself down to one of the games next Sunday morning, then come to the final on the night as well? You won’t be disappointed!



Meadow Park 5 (OG 2, Chance, Crisp, Southwell), Hizza United 0
Att: 427
Chaddesley Corbett 4,GLA 0

Spa Athletic 3, Northfield Athletic 4 (MOORE 3, Myrie)

Chaps United 2, Bromsgrove Brentnal 1
Hewell 2, Sporting Club Redditch 1 (Field)
Rubery Juniors 1 (Partridge), Rednal Social Club 5 (Wilson 2, Pugh, Cumberton, Murrihy)
Woodgate Valley 10 (SIPPITTS 3, WICKETTS 3, Fergusson 2, Griffiths-Hughes 2, Varney), Bridgefield 5 (HANCOCK 3, Cook, Ricardo)
Stoke Prior 3, Laburnum 1 
Stoke Sporting Reserves 3, Bromsgrove Corinthians 3 (Beck , Mason, Tear)
Callowbrook Green 5, Arrow Valley 0
Wychbold RBL 1, Belbroughton Athletic 2
WCT Youth Raiders 2, Alcester Town 5 (Kalach 2, Xavier, Gifford, Marston)
AFC Northfield 2 (L Dugmore, Kenny), Stoke Sporting 1 
Conway Albion 1, Bartley Green Illey Sunday 4 (Gardiner, Collins, Martin, Lawrence)
FC Korono 0-0 Awkies Allstars AET- Awkies win 4-3 on Penalties
Rubery Athletic 3 (Berry, O'Connor, Byfield), Perrywood 2
Alcester Town (EDFL) 2, Bromsgrove United 1
AFC Millfields 2 (Hatfield, Roland), Cropthorne 3


blog comments powered by Disqus