Much Needed Win for Brocton

Brocton 2 - 1 Boldmere St Michaels

Last Updated: Sep 18, 2016 06:33pm
Penkside, Stafford
By Pete Russell
Share |

Midland League Premier Division

Saturday 17th September 2016


The Badgers chalked up their 2nd League win of the season with a narrow victory over Boldmere St Michaels at Silkmore lane on Saturday

The game was played end to end and although Keenah Rosser  struck the bar for Boldmere neither side did enough to get the lead in the early stages. Both Dave Abelewhite and Francino Francis had headers turned away for Brocton corners whilst good approach work by Josh Wilson and Dave Berks led to Jack Edwards having a shot parried to safety by visiting keeper Lewis Finney. 

Boldmere too created chances but some woeful finishing let them down. 

The breakthrough came just before half time when a flick by Dave Berks created a chance for Jack Edwards whose effort was blocked allowing Dave Ablewhite to follow up and pass the ball with his left foot into the corner of the net out of keeper Lewis Finney’s reach. 

The second half began with Jack Edwards shot turned away for a corner and Dave Berks was frustrated to see the chance to double the Badgers lead go begging when his well flighted flag kick was headed well over the bar by Dave Ablewhite. 

At the other end Aidan Stone had to punch clear as Boldmere threatened from a corner. Finney also had to punch away another Berks corner but Edwards follow up effort went wide. 

Boldmere were determined to get back and their increasing pressure paid dividends on 57 minutes when centre forward Ged Oldnall headed in from a corner. 

However Brocton showed their character and on 74 minutes a Berks free kick hit a defender and fell to Dan Lomas who made no mistake in beating Finney from close range. 

Boldmere pushed hard for a 2nd equaliser but despite several near misses the Badgers defence stood  firm to secure a much needed 3 points.


Midland League Premier Division

Wednesday 14th September 2016

Heanor Town 3  Brocton  2


Even an inspirational performance by young keeper Aidan Stone could not, in the end, prevent Heanor from yet again grabbing a last ditch goal, this time to also grab all three points.

Brocton began the brighter and looked anything but a side languishing at the wrong end of the table. The pace and movement of Charles Weston-Hayles caused problems for the home defence from the outset and on only five minutes his dash into the area and quick footwork had home keeper McCormack bring him down for a penalty. Dave Ablewhite, back in Brocton colours, calmly put away the chance.

When Jack Edwards got to a high ball ahead of a  defender and nudged it on, Weston-Hayles nipped in again and this time shot just wide. Then on twenty minutes the same combination of players provided Weston-Hayles with another chance. This time Edwards got to the bye line and his pull back was met firmly, beating McCormack despite a brave dive at his feet. Weston-Hayles was unfortunate to pick up an injury and had to be replaced immediately by Andy Davis.

That stroke of ill fortune was soon followed by another as a penalty was awarded to the home side for what can only have been judged to be a push on the edge of Brocton’s area. Debrouwer stepped up and converted to bring a lift to Heanor’s play. 

The momentum was with the home side in the second period and Debrouwer got a head at goal from a Marriott cross early in the half. Stone was well placed and held comfortably. He had more to do when a second, much firmer blast at goal came from the same player minutes later. But Stone was equal to it and palmed over the bar.

Josh D Wilson took a free kick from just outside Heanor’s box and brought a parry and catch from McCormack before Stone was once again in action, this time gathering a poke into the area as bodies piled in behind it.

He and Brocton were unlucky though when Marriott once more fired in a low cross. A back heel deflected the ball goalward, but it took a ricochet from a Brocton defender to finally beat Stone and pull Heanor level.

Francino Francis and Harry Flowers repelled everything that Heanor threw at them and

Dan Lomas put in a captain’s effort as he raced back the length of the field to defend. He won the ball back and set off to help Edwards in attack, trying to slip Edwards in for a shot at goal, but the through ball was too heavy and the chance went.

Everyone at the game were quick to say that Brocton deserved something from the game, but that’s just not how it’s going at the moment and that injury time winner was bundled into the net by substitute Matt Harris with only the final whistle to come.


blog comments powered by Disqus